Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom efibre in Navan

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Anyone upgraded to this yet? What are speeds like? Coming up to the end of my current broadband contract and checking out my options. UPC not an option, can anyone recommend decent broadband provider in the area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Commander Shepard

Sky is good especially if you have the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tomjohn01

I am with Sky at the moment, and even though they say my line is capable of 24mb, the most I have got with them is 4/5mb, hence the reason I am looking around!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    I am with Sky at the moment, and even though they say my line is capable of 24mb, the most I have got with them is 4/5mb, hence the reason I am looking around!

Well thats kind of irrelevant with regard to speed. Sky broadband use Eircom infrastructure, so whatever you get with Sky, you'll get the same with Eircom, or other fixed line providers.

If Eircom eFibre comes to your area, then Sky or other operators will then be able to offer you the high speeds that Eircom can offer - but that means Eircom need to upgrade the line first.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Colm R wrote: »
    Well thats kind of irrelevant with regard to speed. Sky broadband use Eircom infrastructure, so whatever you get with Sky, you'll get the same with Eircom, or other fixed line providers.

I would disagree with you there. From my own personal experience I switched from Eircom to Vodafone. With Eircom I was paying for 7mb but typically getting 1 - 1.5mb on a good day. When I switched to Vodafone, I was paying for an 8mb service and getting between 6 and 7mb and that was on the same piece of copper wire that Eircom was using. Contention rates are also a very important factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Seems nobody in navan has eFibre. I was told dispite it being available in Navan that it might not be available on my road. I must ring them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 idlebones

According to their rollout map, Navan has had eFibre for a month, but if you look at Eircoms forum, they are telling every one it's there, but not connected to their cabinet yet, and they have no idea when it will be. They're really not very good at this infrastructure lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Yeah, its a joke alright - i'd imagine they are gonna probably flick the switch on Navan and Kilcarn at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I was told that dispite eFibre being available in Navan it might never be available on my road. They've been digging up the Slane road for months now, surely they'll come up as far as Donaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I'm about 20 mins from Navan and i was told it would be available to me in April, we will see..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

We got the water metres installed no time :mad: and still waiting on decent broadband to my estate. Just got of the phone from a customer eircom rep. ALl I can get to my house in terms of fibre is 12megs a second to be locked into a contract for 18months. FFs who are they kidding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

tom23 wrote: »
    We got the water metres installed no time :mad: and still waiting on decent broadband to my estate. Just got of the phone from a customer eircom rep. ALl I can get to my house in terms of fibre is 12megs a second to be locked into a contract for 18months. FFs who are they kidding?

Im sorry... but are you feeling pissed off that you can only get 12mb?

We are with eircom a long time... we have 1mb. Nothing faster available to us via landline no matter what provider.

when fibre comes in... I would be happy with 4mb!

Access wrote: »
    Im sorry... but are you feeling pissed off that you can only get 12mb?

We are with eircom a long time... we have 1mb. Nothing faster available to us via landline no matter what provider.

when fibre comes in... I would be happy with 4mb!

Yeah I'm very pissed off! Why should I pay the same amount as someone who gets 30mbs and are less than half a mile up the road? And I empathise with you as my broadband speed is just 1mb a second now and is not worth a damn.

tom23 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very pissed off! Why should I pay the same amount as someone who gets 30mbs and are less than half a mile up the road? And I empathise with you as my broadband speed is just 1mb a second now and is not worth a damn.

And im paying the same for 1mb as others who are getting 30mb up the road from me. Context and all that.

Not having a go at you but some businesses nevermind homes around Navan/Trim/Kells wouldnt even have near 12mb.

Like I say id be happy with 4mb... which is plenty to stream hd netflix or rte player etc.

Cant understand why your pissed off at having 12mb connection... ask most on here and unless they are getting upc... they are prob on no more then 8mb.

And im paying the same for 1mb as others who are getting 30mb up the road from me. Context and all that.

Not having a go at you but some businesses nevermind homes around Navan/Trim/Kells wouldnt even have near 12mb.

Like I say id be happy with 4mb... which is plenty to stream hd netflix or rte player etc.

Cant understand why your pissed off at having 12mb connection... ask most on here and unless they are getting upc... they are prob on no more then 8mb.

Maybe so. But contact and all that! I still can't get UPC to my house, if they upgraded the line from a supposed non contention line of 3 mb (actually only 1 mps) to an 'efibre' line of 12 mps how come thats all they can increase it to? Also couple into the fact that I have to lock myself into an 18month contract with them, so yes I am pretty pissed of. Bu they maybe my expectations are to high.

Just checked with Eircom this morning, fibre now available at my address(woodlands) in Navan, now to decide who to go with!

Just checked with Eircom this morning, fibre now available at my address(woodlands) in Navan, now to decide who to go with!

Did you just ring them and they just check your line to see if you can get it or how does it work

Did you just ring them and they just check your line to see if you can get it or how does it work

just enter your landline phone number or your address here https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ and it will tell you if it is in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hearing some peoples experiences with Eircom would make me less than likely to join regardless of promised speed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

i live at the bottom of flower hill and cant get E-fiber.
    Im with magnet with a 1 month rolling contract. was getting speeds of around the 7-8 mb, but today i restarted my router and it re-connected at 15,786 kbps i can now download at speeds of around 1.6 MB / s. woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mkearney304

I work for vodafone and can set you up . Get in touch if you have any questions or queries regarding this .

• Advertisement

Sky is good especially if you have the tv

Sky can't offer the fibre broadband because they don't have the technology to offer it . Trust me I work in this sector. Vodafone have the best value . Existing mobile phone customers avail of exclusive rates . Eircom will tell you that you need a land line phone to get broadband and this simply is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Sky can't offer the fibre broadband because they don't have the technology to offer it . Trust me I work in this sector. Vodafone have the best value . Existing mobile phone customers avail of exclusive rates . Eircom will tell you that you need a land line phone to get broadband and this simply is not the case.

mkearney What's the best price/deal Vodafone could offer for unlimited broadband to a mobile (payg) customer...I'm just planning ahead - will be looking to get set up when efibre comes to Duleek - which according to eircoms website is this summer

mkearney What's the best price/deal Vodafone could offer for unlimited broadband to a mobile (payg) customer...I'm just planning ahead - will be looking to get set up when efibre comes to Duleek - which according to eircoms website is this summer

For unlimited usage on the broadband with free installation and free smart modem €35 per month including VAT and line rental . €35 is all you ever pay . If you want to discuss this further ring me on 0871474557 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Just in case it helps http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ this map should help you to see if your cabinet is enabled for efibre. Its better than the efibre coverage map as it shows the actual cabinets that are enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I hear from Vodafone efibre/fast broadband with be switched on around Athlumney estate 23rd June

Anyone upgraded to this yet? What are speeds like? Coming up to the end of my current broadband contract and checking out my options. UPC not an option, can anyone recommend decent broadband provider in the area?

I work for vodafone and can set you up. It's fixed line broadband just alot cheaper than eircom . Same service better value. I live in Navan so it wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I work for vodafone and can set you up. It's fixed line broadband just alot cheaper than eircom . Same service better value. I live in Navan so it wouldn't be a problem.

Phone and broadband?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Phone and broadband?

The phone is optional . If you want it , it costs an additional €5 per month.

Advertisement