Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Development for Identical Twins

Options
  • 15-01-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Looking to get some advice on our identical twins. They will be four in 2 months and have limited speech. We have taken them to speech therapists and they show that they are behind on there development speech wise which we know. When they are with the therapist they tend to clam up and this makes the therapist think they are worse than they are.

Part of the problem is that common to twins they have had there own language since about 18 months that they fully understand and communicate with. One may say to the other a sentence that to me means nothing but the other twin understands fully and may respond by going off and getting the toy or item the other was looking for or answering back. These conversations can go on for ages.

When we try and encourage them to say words properly as the therapist advises using tactics such as hold onto there ball for example until they say the word ball properly they tend to let there heads drop and get upset. The more we try and encourage them the more the clam up. Its a slow process and they are slowly getting better.

My fear now is that they are starting junior infants in September and I don't know if there speech will be developed enough to go. Various people have said to us anecdotally that once they hit 4 they will really start to speak better and I'm not sure. The newer words they are learning are clearer than the older words which seem to be stuck in the way the first heard them. One of them can say crocodile clearer than the word ball. They also understand everything we say to them. This has been the case since they were about 2 and a half.

Also common to twins I'm told is that they do not learn to speak a word a time like singles they start speaking through full sentences and this is obviously making them take longer. Their elder brother who up to a year ago also understood their language was the complete opposite. He was talking before he was walking and I'm still amazed at this vocabulary today for a 5 year old.

What I'm looking to find out is has anyone else with twins gone through the same problem. Any tips or pointers. At what age did yours start to talk. Do they need to have fully developed speech to attend school. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Are you a member of IMBA? Irish multiple births association? Even if not, their Facebook page is well worth joining to ask such a question. My id twins are only 8 months so can't help I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Blueskye wrote: »
    Are you a member of IMBA? Irish multiple births association? Even if not, their Facebook page is well worth joining to ask such a question. My id twins are only 8 months so can't help I'm afraid.

Thanks I had not heard of IMBA before. I must look into them. Best of luck with your twins. Hard work but good fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

We have twin boys who will be three in two months. One of the lads is way behind the other when it comes to his speech. He lets the other lad talk for him so it can be difficult to get him to speak!

We dont plan on sending them to big school until they are five and a half. Is there anyway you can put them off starting junior infants until next year?

This is all new to us as we also have two girls, seven and four, who have superb speech! The eldest at two and half was telling people not to "contradict" her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I don't have any experience with twins... and I'm not a parent BUT bear with me for a bit here.
    My nephew and nieces are being raised abroad and are bilingual...
    My sister spoke English to my nephew, exclusively.
    His father was meant to speak only German and the plan was the kid would be bilingual by the time he went to playschool/kindergarten but when time came to go he only spoke English, oh he understood German fine, but he would always reply in English.
    After a while dealing with other kids his own age who had no English he started to make great bounds in his German, it was all there because he understood it, even if he didn't speak it.
    I know he's not a twin, and that makes a big difference, but what I'm getting at is that if they understand everything that they should, they'll come around once they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

They would probably qualify for some resource hours in school but the applications have to be in by some date in March - i would get in touch with the national school asap. My nephew starts in Sept, he will be 5 in May, he is a non-id twin and has delayed speech though his twin sister is fine (she's a chatter box and tends to speak for him). He has already qualified for 2.5 resource hours in school in Sept which will be a great help along with the speech therapy.

By the way i would agree with Branners - they seem quite young to be starting schoo. My little lad was 4 in Feb and i'm still debating on whether or not to start him but loose-rule in his school is that babies born Sept-Feb start at 4, and babies born March-Aug start at 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ariana` wrote: »
    They would probably qualify for some resource hours in school but the applications have to be in by some date in March - i would get in touch with the national school asap. My nephew starts in Sept, he will be 5 in May, he is a non-id twin and has delayed speech though his twin sister is fine (she's a chatter box and tends to speak for him). He has already qualified for 2.5 resource hours in school in Sept which will be a great help along with the speech therapy.

By the way i would agree with Branners - they seem quite young to be starting schoo. My little lad was 4 in Feb and i'm still debating on whether or not to start him but loose-rule in his school is that babies born Sept-Feb start at 4, and babies born March-Aug start at 5.

Think I've heard the cut off date for resource hours is next Wednesday, 26th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

From what you have told us in regards to your twins I would not start them in school until they are 5. Spending a another year in playschool and getting help with there speech would be better for them. Starting school with poor speech will put them at a disadvantage from day one.
    They might find it hard to make friends and up being unhappy in school.
    I would also start to spend more time with each of them on there own so you can get them to talk without the other one been there.
    Also I think that your children have to be in school before you apply for resource help.

I have a relative who has a number of children and worked for years as an sna in school.
    She saw children starting school at 4 and 5. She found the 5 year old's coped better with school from a maturity and learning point of view.
    One of my family decided to keep there child in play school for another year a few years ago. This child has loved school since they started and are doing well. One of there friends sent there child to school at 4 and this child was not ready for it at this age.
    They have needed extra help from the time they started & find school hard.

I would also consider that your children could be in a large class and being a year older would help them cope better with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

January wrote: »
    Think I've heard the cut off date for resource hours is next Wednesday, 26th March.

Yes it sure is. To apply for it the school would need a report from slt to support application.

Are the boys in preschool? It might be worth thinking about waiting until next year for starting school.

January wrote: »

Cut off date for what exactly?
    mohawk wrote: »
    Yes it sure is. To apply for it the school would need a report from slt to support application.

slt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

branners69 wrote: »
    Cut off date for what exactly?

slt?

Applying for resource hours for children in primary school. Schools have to apply to the Department of Education for resource hours and special needs assistants for each child that would them them and then the department allocate a certain amount of hours per week to the children for the year ahead, it has to be applied for each and every year for each and every child that need the hours.

SLT is speech and language therapist. I suggest that if you haven't yet been referred for speech therapy then get onto it quickly as there is quite a long waiting list for it under the public system. You can self refer through your local health centre or get your Public Health Nurse to refer you.

Resource hours are time away from the classroom with a teacher either one on one or as part of a small group to work on specific needs the child may have, such as speech & language, or if they are behind with writing or math.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I first posted this their speech has definitely improved. It's still not close to what it should be and I understand them more but someone else would not.

Really not sure what to do re starting school. They have had a letter offering a place but it's not confirmed yet. The school has a waiting list and we are not from the area but had their names down early enough to get in. My fear is if I raise the issue with the school they may decide against them. I know I should be talking to the school about this but I have a feeling it will work against them getting in.

The Montessori they attend who are excellent say they are doing very well for twins and we should not hold them back a year. Best plan may be to wait until closer to the September and see what level they are at then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is perfectly normal for bi lingual kids . Mine understand English and Irish but the 5 year old is the only one that replies in Irish .
    kiffer wrote: »
    I don't have any experience with twins... and I'm not a parent BUT bear with me for a bit here.
    My nephew and nieces are being raised abroad and are bilingual...
    My sister spoke English to my nephew, exclusively.
    His father was meant to speak only German and the plan was the kid would be bilingual by the time he went to playschool/kindergarten but when time came to go he only spoke English, oh he understood German fine, but he would always reply in English.
    After a while dealing with other kids his own age who had no English he started to make great bounds in his German, it was all there because he understood it, even if he didn't speak it.
    I know he's not a twin, and that makes a big difference, but what I'm getting at is that if they understand everything that they should, they'll come around once they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

thomasm wrote: »
    Really not sure what to do re starting school. They have had a letter offering a place but it's not confirmed yet. The school has a waiting list and we are not from the area but had their names down early enough to get in. My fear is if I raise the issue with the school they may decide against them. I know I should be talking to the school about this but I have a feeling it will work against them getting in.

The Montessori they attend who are excellent say they are doing very well for twins and we should not hold them back a year. Best plan may be to wait until closer to the September and see what level they are at then.

Personally i would be honest and upfront with the school. By not talking to the school you are missing the date for getting Resource hours which it sounds like they will need. If they get a place they are starting on the young side of the average age for starting school, and with delayed speech, it seems like they will be at a disadvantage from the get-go. The school should know best and if they don't give them a place in 2014 based on their age combined with speech delay then maybe it is for the best?

ariana` wrote: »
    Personally i would be honest and upfront with the school. By not talking to the school you are missing the date for getting Resource hours which it sounds like they will need. If they get a place they are starting on the young side of the average age for starting school, and with delayed speech, it seems like they will be at a disadvantage from the get-go. The school should know best and if they don't give them a place in 2014 based on their age combined with speech delay then maybe it is for the best?

I would completely agree, if the school is worth sending your kids to they should want what is best for them too! You need to approach the school and see what they recommend. And if the cut off date is Wednesday, you need to do it today or tomorrow.

Advertisement