Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Poo in back yard

• 15-01-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi you guys. Just looking for your opinion. My dog spends most of the day outside and therefore I have a good amount of dog poo in my back yard. How do you handle the issue, especially now with spring approaching. How often do you clean the back yard? Do you do that yourself, or do you hire someone for that? Is there something like a poop scooper service in Ireland (north county dublin). If so, what do they charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

How bad is the back yard, I mean it is not hard to pick up poo.

I pick up the poo everytime my dog goes in the garden so the garden is always clean. I dont want to be doing the gardening etc and step in dog poo because I was lazy not picking it up in the first place.

Not having a go OP but paying someone to clean up after your dog seems excessive to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yeah, a single dog shouldn't be pooing so much that you feel the need to hire someone else to clean it. I pick up after my two dogs every 1 or 2 days depending on if it's raining or not.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Yea, just pick it up every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

A dog with regular bowel movements and regular feeding wouldn't even create a catastrophic mess over one week. You've obviously never picked up after your dog if it has gotten that bad.

Do the same as what you do when you are taking your dog for his daily walks, pick it up as he does it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I use the bag over hand method and just tie and knot and lob it in the bin. If your not into touching poo, get yourself one of these http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/dog_toilet/339719 although if you already have a shovel that might do just as good of job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My dog poss on average 3 times a day (not that i spy on him or anything :P) but hail / rain / snow etc i go outside with my trusty sandwich bags and pick them up. Everyday. Takes a whole 3-5 mins, and its done.

Once per month i get a water can fill it with water and jeeves fluid and rinse down the area when he poos / pees and presto they place is pretty clean (i always rinse it really well after the jeeves etc)

Im kinda lucky as for some strange reason he will only go on pebbles / stones which are in one part of the garden, a small part and thats his spot.

luckly he has never gone to the toilet on my deck, cobble locking etc

if i didnt clean it up everyday, it would smell... couldnt stand that.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Our garden has a field on one side, so i just get a shovel every couple of days and throw it over the wall (they're our fields). We've 4 dogs and they normally go when out walking and i use nappy bags to pick them up. What do you feed your dog? Ours are raw fed and i find the poo washes away with the rain if i don't pick it up in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Bring it in in a piece of toiletroll and flush it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭e.r

I just pop open sewer lid and shovel it into sewer and the fill a bucket of water pour down.
    I have a my back half cobbled half decking , so power wash every now and then keeps it clean .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

Maybe you should consider walking the dog more. In my experience dogs who are walked generally do their business outside of the garden - they probably don't like living in a dirty environment just as we don't. Reading between the lines, the dog is left outside by itself a lot, is rarely walked and the garden is dirty enough to consider having to hire someone to clean it up:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

In reply to the Op's original question...... I've never heard of a service here that collects dog poo. Shame really when you consider we all use devices/services to make life easier.

Maybe you should consider walking the dog more. In my experience dogs who are walked generally do their business outside of the garden - they probably don't like living in a dirty environment just as we don't. Reading between the lines, the dog is left outside by itself a lot, is rarely walked and the garden is dirty enough to consider having to hire someone to clean it up:(

This was my thought exactly when I first read the post :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, can we give the op a chance to come back and clarify their position before we speculate any further?
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Easytisement

thank you for all your input. now, here is the story. he's a big dog, so it wouldnt be fair to him leaving him inside during the day. he wants to run, chase things and protect my property ;-) I walk him at least twice a day during the week and at least 3 times a day on weekends. the back yard doesnt look too bad, i just really do not like picking up poop. i dont walk him in the city. no need to pick anything up when i walk him where i live (i live right by the forest and walk him in the forest). But, especially spring approaching and guests coming, i want my back yard to be in a good shape. as already said, i do not like picking up poop and i know the service of picking up after your dog is really big in the US. I just wanted to find out if there is something like that in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

I saw a documentary once on the guy who invented "Vapooriser". You should get some of that

103430146_76dd4c8199.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

thank you for all your input. now, here is the story. he's a big dog, so it wouldnt be fair to him leaving him inside during the day. he wants to run, chase things and protect my property ;-) I walk him at least twice a day during the week and at least 3 times a day on weekends. the back yard doesnt look too bad, i just really do not like picking up poop. i dont walk him in the city. no need to pick anything up when i walk him where i live (i live right by the forest and walk him in the forest). But, especially spring approaching and guests coming, i want my back yard to be in a good shape. as already said, i do not like picking up poop and i know the service of picking up after your dog is really big in the US. I just wanted to find out if there is something like that in Ireland.

It is one of the joys of dog ownership. No getting around cleaning up after them. I would suggest maybe sectioning off part of the garden for the dog so that he is not leaving minefields all over the garden. Another aspect to look at is food. Cheaper food with lots of fillers means more presents from the other end of the dog. Even a large dog does not do loads in one day.

I clean up after mine daily. I also wash the yard down every day. If you really hate cleaning it up use a long handled spade & yard brush to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

no need to pick anything up when i walk him where i live (i live right by the forest and walk him in the forest).
    Is it your own private forest or do other people use it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 running dogs

Ive heard it all now : paying someone to clean up YOUR DOGS s***e. Lol as someone said its part and parcell of having a dog , i.m.o if you dont want to clean up after the dog that bad dont have a dog . Just my opnion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Seriously can we stop with the interrogation and judgemental remarks. If one more person replies with a comment that's not relating to the OPs question then bans will be given.

Sheesh, what if the person had a bad back? Disabled? Quit the judgemental tone.

One and final warning. Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

You don't have to pick it up as already said. You can get a bucket and a shovel. Go around the garden using the shovel to pick it up and putting it into the bucket to dispose of when done.

Thats fast, easy and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Maybe put up a sign in your local shop? You'd have to phrase it properly but cleaning up dog poo doesn't really bother me and if i was short on money i'd do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Easytisement

Ive heard it all now : paying someone to clean up YOUR DOGS s***e. Lol as someone said its part and parcell of having a dog , i.m.o if you dont want to clean up after the dog that bad dont have a dog . Just my opnion

I'm sure you've heard it all! I mean it's crazy how people hire cleaners for their house or flat. I mean, if you decide to buy or rent a house or flat, cleaning just goes with it, right? And how do people hire mechanics to do a simple oil change on the car. I mean, come on, you decided to have a car, so do it yourself! Or OMG, people hire gardeners. If you decide to have plants in the backyard, cut the trees yourself, right? That is something huh... People just hire people for services... ridiculous, right? Gosh, get a grip dude! Hope you get irony!

Thanks for all the helpful answers (even though there were few). And to all the people pointing fingers: Take a look in the mirror first!

Bottom line is, there is no such service in Ireland from what I've heard so far. Maybe one day there will be such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

It's the dog crap on the grass that bothers me. I pick up after him regularly but with all the wet weather I can never get all of it, leaving little squidgy patches around the garden. I don't know how to deal with them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Easytisement, there is a mod warning a couple of posts above yours to deal with the judgmental comments. Please do not take matters into your own hands as you have here.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I remember hearing about a poo service a few years ago - on here maybe? Think they had a website too. Probably gone now since the recession.

OP.... these may help:

Other than below there are no such services in Ireland to date... maybe there is a niche for it!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hygenic-Poop-Grabber-Waste-Scooper/dp/B005VCIP9U

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-of-Animals-Arms-Length/dp/B0014X6UMO

One last thing you could put up and ad on adverts.ie? maybe someone who is looking for work would be prepared to do it :p

670px-Pick-Up-Dog-Poop-Step-2.jpg

Protect yourself. If you want extra protection than just the plastic bag or pooper scooper, bring along a disposable latex glove to wear as well, and dispose of it in the trash at the same time as discarding the poop in a bag. You could also bring along cleaning wipes or anti-bacterial handwashing gel as an additional cleaning precaution. If you're not well, pregnant, or immuno-suppressed, taking these extra precautions is probably very sensible.

Pooper scooper method 670px-Pick-Up-Dog-Poop-Step-8.jpg

1. If you can't bring yourself to handle the poop even through a plastic bag, or you cannot bend over for any reason, purchase a commercially made "pooper scooper". These usually consist of a handle on one end of a long arm, with a double-sided shovel on the other end. When looking for a suitable scooper, check that the size is appropriate for your breed of dog. 670px-Pick-Up-Dog-Poop-Step-9.jpg

2. Clean the whole yard using a large pooper scooper. Large pooper scoopers are available for yard cleaning, and these allow you to insert a plastic bag into the scoop end, then proceed around the yard collecting dog poop with a rake or similar tool to push the poop straight into the scoop. At the end, simply tie up the bag and dispose of the whole bag in the trash can, without ever having to touch the dog poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

In reply to the op on how often do you pick up. Every morning i go out and pick up my dogs poo. I have 3 dogs, i use a shovel to pick up the poo. The garden is not overrun with poo because its picked up everyday. If i notice in the evening that there's poo in the garden, i pick it up. When i walk them, i also pick it up, nappy sack over the hand. One of my dogs is big and he's big, i don't particularly like picking it up either but he can't so i have to. I also walk them in a forest and they do poo there and yes i also pick it up.

Now to quote your post " i dont walk him in the city. no need to pick anything up when i walk him where i live (i live right by the forest and walk him in the forest). But, especially spring approaching and guests coming, i want my back yard to be in a good shape. as already said, i do not like picking up poop and i know the service of picking up after your dog is really big in the US. I just wanted to find out if there is something like that in Ireland".

First off there is every need to pick up anything in the forest, other people may use that forest including kids and if we all decided to use that particular forest it would be in a right state. Picking up is also really a big thing here in Ireland as places always have guests coming and that includes public places.

My dogs spend a lot of time outside in the garden as do many of my friends dogs and from what iv'e seen over the years, a lot of poo in the garden has been due to the poo not being picked up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

if you have a local street sweeper ask him would he be interested in cleaning up for you for a price , he would have the tools required and the means to dispose safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How much would you pay OP out of interest - not that I'm interested in filling the position lol! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Unlike all you lucky folks who are at home when its bright I can only clean up the poo once or twice a week (not a hope of me trotting around the garden at 9pm hoping I dont stand in poo!!!) I use a salad tongs to pop it in the bag so I dont have to touch it.....not my inside salad tongs!

Advertisement