Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Options
  • 15-01-2014 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Murder Mystery, Action Adventure Novel game Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is published by nis and created by spike chunsoft is due release February 14th this year for the playstation vita. GamesRadar gave the game a 4/5 and GamrReview gave it a 8.2 . judging by the trailer seems like a quality title

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely picking this up, heard so many good things about the japanese release and the anime that is based off it is huge now. It's meant to play very close to Phoenix Wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Epi

Wow, never thought this would be posted here. One of my friends spammed somehow got into it and literally spammed me full with links from Tumblr... and kinda got me to watch the anime. Judging the feedback, it seems to be quite awesome and I did enjoy it myself, but I don't believe I'd play the game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Got this on launch day and put 13 hours into it so far

Best game I have played so far in 2014 , if anyone has a vita go pick this up now!.

If you are fans of persona games and pheonix wright or zero escape games this is right up your alley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Got this on launch day and put 13 hours into it so far

Best game I have played so far in 2014 , if anyone has a vita go pick this up now!.

If you are fans of persona games and pheonix wright or zero escape games this is right up your alley

I want to play it but I've had one of the major ending plot points spoiled for me. :( Mind the same thing happened with Persona 4 but I still enjoyed the hell out of that. Ah well, all about the journey/not the destination and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭megaten

Been spoiled on most of it for ages but I still plan on getting it. I just need to clear through some games I've already gotten first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've completed the PSP version (1st Dangranronpa) and enjoyed it, does the Vita version bring anything worthwhile extra to the table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Not that I am aware off besides the additon of touch screen controls , smoother looking animation and trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Finished it this week along with completing school mode twice and I absolutely loved it, so much tha I pre-ordered this:

danga2_le.jpg

Check out the trailer for SDR2 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Just Finished this. Amazing! Loved it. Anyone know of any similar games? I have a vita and 3ds and want something similar to it or 999/virtues last reward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

gubbie wrote: »
    Just Finished this. Amazing! Loved it. Anyone know of any similar games? I have a vita and 3ds and want something similar to it or 999/virtues last reward

Have you played Goodbye Despair yet?

Hotel Dusk and Time Hollow both for the DS would be similar, you will always find the vast amount of VN games come out on the PC.

Here are some Vita/PSP games.

PS Vita
    Sweet Fuse: At Your Side
    XBlaze Code: Embryo

PsP
    Corpse Party
    Corpse Party: Book of Shadows
    Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
    Disgaea Infinite

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stay away from XBlaze and Disgaea Infinite, I hear they are pants. Hakuoki is silly but fun and definitely not for everyone, the writing is a bit crap.

The Corpse Party games on the other hand are absolute crackers. Make sure you play in the dark with headphones, the stereo positional sound effects in those games are incredible.

Higurashi is coming to Steam with a new translation, it's far and away the besy of the 'kinetic novels' (you can't make choices but are trying to figure out the mystery as you read and the sound adds a lot to the story). However it's been promised for ages so don't wait up for it.

There's always the excellent Pheonix Wright games as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

XBlaze Code: Embryo is 20 euro on play asia, i'm very tempted by it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing this at the moment and, honestly, it's struggling to hold my interest. It's stylish and energetic when it wants to be (wish they had a few more music cues though, or at least less repetitive ones), but I can't shake the overall sense it's pretty damn shallow. Maybe there's a few surprises waiting - I'm about to start the third trial - but so far it's not making much of an impact.

It's too plot-driven - and by that I mean it's all about the literal mechanics of what's happening, instead of being about anything substantial. I'd compare it unfavourably to Virtues Last Reward, which had a similarly ludicrous plot but had deeper, more challenging themes constantly coming to the forefront. When it tries something more complicated or challenging, it usually does so in a cackhanded sort of way. Danganronpa is simply too reliant on contrivances, silliness, characters jumping the shark and cheap twists to keep everything moving, without offering anything more substantial to make up for it. The game's fairly predictable structure so far also feels like a burden rather than an asset.

I'll power through the rest at this point, but I dunno - for a game that on the surface seems pretty stylish and a fun amalgamation of plenty of games I like, it feels like a chore to play.

Advertisement