Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huggies wipes banned from Danish supermarkets

Options
  • 15-01-2014 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It's in the news today that two major supermarkets here in Denmark have just removed Huggies wipes from their shelves, as they apparently contain a preservative substance (methylisothiazolinone (MI)) which can cause a dangerous allergy.

The article is in Danish, but you can use google translate if youw ant to read it.

http://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/sundhedogmotion/forbrugerkemi/ECE2182558/coop-satte-skadelige-vaadservietter-paa-brandudsalg/

I don't want to be a scaremonger - you can make up your own minds. Personally, I had a whole carton of them that I ordered on Amazon, but I won't be using them anymore now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Ive been using huggies wipes for my little boy over a year with absolutely no problem. Andnhe has has big problems with allergies and eczema as a result and still the wipes were fine! To each thier own. To me it seems like taking peanut butter off the shelves because it has been known to be an allergen for people who are allergic to nuts!

But if your looking to sell on those huggies let me know hehe!!
    Hi all,

It's in the news today that two major supermarkets here in Denmark have just removed Huggies wipes from their shelves, as they apparently contain a preservative substance (methylisothiazolinone (MI)) which can cause a dangerous allergy.

The article is in Danish, but you can use goggles translate if youw ant to read it.

http://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/sundhedogmotion/forbrugerkemi/ECE2182558/coop-satte-skadelige-vaadservietter-paa-brandudsalg/

I don't want to be a scaremonger - you can make up your own minds. Personally, I had a whole carton of them that I ordered on Amazon, but I won't be using them anymore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Rachineire wrote: »
    Ive been using huggies wipes for my little boy over a year with absolutely no problem. Andnhe has has big problems with allergies and eczema as a result and still the wipes were fine! To each thier own. To me it seems like taking peanut butter off the shelves because it has been known to be an allergen for people who are allergic to nuts!

But if your looking to sell on those huggies let me know hehe!!

Have to agree. My kids have a reaction whenever I use pampers or johnsons so I stick to the huggies pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Had a quick google, and it appears that ingredient had been separately linked to allergies; it's used in moisturisers etc as well. Quickly scanned a Daily Fail article that says the EU is banning it and that several companies, including Huggies, are removing it rom their products.

I would imagine that a bit of common sense would prevail here - if your child's bum/face/hands are showing signs of reaction, then discontinue using whatever you think might be causing it, but if they're not, I'd say they don't have an allergy! I use Huggies pure wipes when I'm out and about, (purely because they were on special offer and I bought loads of them!) when I'm at home I use cotton wool and water and so far his bum is okay..... most of his nappy changes are at home so the wipes aren't used very often, and if there is access to a tap I tend to rinse the wipes out under warm water before cleaning him. I do find it amusing that the wipes are marketed as "pure" when they are chock full of chemicals, but there you go!

Advertisement