Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can company cancel my health insurance back dated

Options
  • 15-01-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

My employer in a money saving effort has cancelled my health insurance.. I suspected this might happen and when it does its final, i.e. in financial interests of company they have decided they will no longer pay health insurance.. As I could not be sure when they were going to do this I rang the health insurer regularly to check we were still covered and when I rang on monday we were.

Now today I get a letter in the post to say your not covered since 31/12/2013..

Can they cancel health insurance back dated.. What if I had made a claim based on an injury in the last two weeks and according to the phone call I was covered but the letter today says I was not..

To me it looks like a legal loophole to offload insurance claims. Insurance company/ employer when they hear of a difficult claim or decide to back date the cancellation to an earlier date.. Surely this is a loophole that the regulator should know about.

Everyone else sends 30 day notice of cancellation, surely they should do the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

G-Man wrote: »
    Can they cancel health insurance back dated..

No, unless there was a gross breach of trust like in the case of a motor policy they discovered that the insured had failed to disclose a serious conviction like drunk driving.
    What if I had made a claim based on an injury in the last two weeks and according to the phone call I was covered but the letter today says I was not..

Which simply proves that you can't set any store by what you are told on the phone, it can always be denied afterwards.

Everyone else sends 30 day notice of cancellation, surely they should do the same.

The fact is that you didn't take out the policy or pay the premium so the insurance company have no obligation to tell you anything.

Advertisement