Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Property Viewings

Options
  • 15-01-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I live in a rental property and have recently given notice to the letting agent. I have had several calls from the agent regarding arranging viewings.
    Now, here's my question. My rent is paid up until the day I move out so am I obliged to allow people to view the property while I still live there?
    I do shift work and have had a number of calls telling me people want to view at times I will be trying to sleep after night shifts.
    If possible, I would prefer not to have people come through my home until it is no longer my home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

legally you don't have to allow access for viewings.

However most reasonable people will be able to accomadate viewings at some time. Im sure you don't work 7 days a week for example so Im sure there is some morning / afternoon that you could allow the EA conduct viewings on.

A bit of give and take never did anybody any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

It is written in my contract that I have to allow for 4 viewings in my final month of tenancy. Possible that something similar is in yours? It's a major pain making sure the place is fit for viewings and having to leave for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Shedzafew wrote: »
    It is written in my contract that I have to allow for 4 viewings in my final month of tenancy. Possible that something similar is in yours? It's a major pain making sure the place is fit for viewings and having to leave for a few hours.

It doesnt matter whats written into your contract; it goes against the fundemental right to peaceful enjoyment of the property, and as such would not be legally enforceable.

OP, its up to you whether or not you want to allow viewings. If you work night shifts then you will probably find arranging a time to be quite difficult. The agent may suggest allowing them to bring people into the property when you are not there; each to their own but I wouldnt allow this under any circumstances.

Maybe speak with the agent, explain to them your time constraints and see if you can maybe arrange an hour one morning to allow some viewings. Just remember, its on your terms so dont let them try and bully you into agreeing times that dont suit you.

Advertisement