Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Cat Advice Needed Please

• 15-01-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Dilemma - Hi folks long story short - we trapped and neutered a cat last September and released him back to where we caught him - would have loved to have kept him but with ferals they are generally hard to to so and anyway the vet nurse said he was totally feral so releasing him was the best thing anyway - we kept putting out food for him and just basically left him to his own devices.
    Or so we thought...
    however about two weeks ago I was leaving food out and he was under my car waiting for it - i held my hand out to him in the belief that he would run away and to my surprised he came right up to me and began to do all the things that cat do, head butting, purring and rubbing into me. I was very surprised so little by little over the past week or so I have been doing this every night - kneeling by my front door and up he comes for his cuddles.

He's probably a stray and not a feral as we first thought - and has probably straying for months now and is a little nervous and twitchy but he will let me pick him up - if he is in my front hall and I push over the door closed he gets a little anxious and miaows to be let out which I do immediately.

I just don't know what to do with him - he's living outdoors and his territory is a busy enough estate road.
    I don't want to distress him more but I can't leave my front door open all the time like I can do with my back door.
    We have ferals out the back who come and go and two cats of our own who barely tolerate each other but I would attempt to take him in if I thought he wouldn't get too distressed.

Advice please from those who take in cats would be grateful....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Keep feeding him and do exactly as you have described, it takes time and patience, as you said he is not a feral and the lucky guy has found a loving home. He is used to been outside and he is a survivor as are most cats. He will get panicky when he is confined in a house. the other cats in the area will get used to his presence in time.
    In a few months when the trust has been built up he'll be up on your lap watchin the telly purring

Advertisement