Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last feed before anthestic?

• 15-01-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I was in the vets tonight organising to get Cooper neutered. I have to take him in on Sat at midday and was told not to feed him Fri night. That is fine, but can he have anything at lunch? I forgot to ask :o - would a bone be ok or just something light? Or is it nothing other than water after he has his breakfast. Just that by lunch time Sat it will 30hrs since his last meal which seems a bit long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

When my dog has an op, the vet tells me to fast him from around 8pm the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Any dog I had neutered we were told not to feed after 6pm the night before. Best to ring your vet and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Same as toadfly. Nothing after 6pm. I was told the same thing both when they were neutered and when one of my boy's had to go under anesthetic to unblock his tear duct.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hey Mel - we feed Hugo raw meaty brisket bones every now and then - and I was 'due' to give him one the day before he was neutered... Luckily my dad talked me out of it!

And here's why... Hugo was neutered on a Monday morning. A more complex OP than Cooper I'd say - as only one testicle was in its usual place. He didn't poop again until THURSDAY!

The anaesthetic messes with their system and Cooper probably won't have a proper bowel movement for a few days.

Best feed him something 'easy' on Friday if it's going to be stuck in his gut for 3 or 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The anesthetic can also make a dog quite nauseous (largely why you're not supposed to feed them too close to surgery, because they can choke on their vomit) best keep food quite bland afterwards.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

VonVix wrote: »
    The anesthetic can also make a dog quite nauseous (largely why you're not supposed to feed them too close to surgery, because they can choke on their vomit) best keep food quite bland afterwards.

Didn't think of this! Too true.
    Boiled chicken and rice for a few days.

Advertisement