Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JAVA Exams in Ireland

Options
  • 15-01-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey I don't know do I have this in the correct forum but I didn't know which one would be most suitable. Anyway to the question I am interested in learning Java by teaching myself, I already know good resources that I will use but what I want to know is there an exam centre in Ireland for testing exams? I know there is a centre in Cork but where do i book the exam and find out what questions are asked? For the microsoft exams this information is easy to find but i seem to be having a lot of trouble locating information about Java. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

when I done the exams it was with pearsonvue

http://www.pearsonvue.com/

edit:FAS also do java courses if you arent working

just be aware that if you intend to do the jave 6 se exam you dont need to have the associate exam under your belt to do the programmer cert.

If you intend on doing java 7 se exam you'll need the associate cert first before you can sit the programmer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

rtron wrote: »
    Then check Prometric for seeing for various test centres that do the exam. I did one in Longford.

Hope this helps

ah its changed since I done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishKid2k13

Yeah I know FAS offer courses but there is none around Tipperary so my plan is to hopefully get an internship in the near future and while doing that study for the Java. Thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement

For booking it through Prometric what is the sponsor name?

For booking it through Prometric what is the sponsor name?

I'd presume oracle(they got java off sun when they bought them).

Oracle isn't an option. Pretty sure to book it I will have to go through http://www.pearsonvue.com/.

yeah its either one or the other :)

I checked my old emails and when I done it ,it was with pearsonsvue.

Just out of curiousity how much did it cost you? Did you study yourself or do a course?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiousity how much did it cost you? Did you study yourself or do a course?

I cant honestly remmeber i think the java programmer was around the 300€ mark.

Yeah I self studied.

Had dabbled in c++ for about 6 months and got lost :)

Then I spent about 4 months studing for the java 6se associate exam.It was piss easy tbh.

Spent maybe 6 months plus for the java programmer.It was the hardest exam I ever done:) Only had the intercert under my belt before then.

The exams have changed for java 7. Alot of what was on the programmer exam has been moved to the associate exam and from what I can gather both exams are harder now.

I havent been able to get any work or ebven an interview with the 2 certs.Seems to be degree minium before getting a call for an interview.

I did get a reply from a start up android dev company dublins HR and he said that the only way to get a foot in without a degree would be to have a decent profolio to show that you can code.

Yeah C++ isn't suppose to be the friendliest of languages. Yeah think the degree of difficulty in the exams is increasing. Yeah I heard the same, best thing you can do is just do free or charity work or do some freelancing on websites to add to your profolio.

Thanks for all the help.

yeah just go for it!

I code regularlily just for the hell of it.I enjoy it and it challenges the brain.Once you get past the synthax its gets better.

also there's posters in this forum who do work with java eveyday and have alot of knowledge that they are willing to share

Advertisement