Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried slow feed bowls on cats and if so are they any good?

• 15-01-2014 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of trying them for our cats, but they aren't cheap. Felix could do with slowing down to lose some weight and Jazzy and Poppy are bolt eaters who sometimes bring the food back up. At the moment I put Jazzy and Poppy's wet food on top of a small plant pot to slow them down a bit and the kibble is left on a small plant pot as well.

I've seen them on an episode of My Cat from Hell and just wondered if anyone tried them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I use a Go Slow! bowl for one fo our dogs that gulps food down within seconds - it works really well (we feed her kibble) and really slows her down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

I had this problem with one of my dogs - and like your cat he would bring up his food at times. He is fed only on dry food. What I have found works is to put some water at the bottom of his bowl - I don't know why or how it works, but it does - I got the hint from someone who'd discovered it by accident when rain got into a dog's bowl and wasn't noticed before next feed!! I've passed it onto a few people and they find it works too.
    He doesn't get a high quantity of food, it wouldn't cover bottom of bowl. I put in enough water to just cover bottom of bowl - it wouldn't cover his food. I don't know how much you'd need to put in if the quantity was greater. This is cold water and I don't let it soak in or anything - the food is still crunchy when he's eating it.

It hasn't cured him and when he gets the food dry, he'll bolt the same way as ever!
    I don't feed either dog wet food, so I can't help with that.
    I didn't ever try these bowls - like you I discovered them to be expensive! I tried things like putting a ball into the bowl and a large rock etc - none of it worked, he happily pushed whatever it was out of the way and gulped away happily.

Good luck with it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've seen them on an episode of My Cat from Hell and just wondered if anyone tried them.
    Yup used them and can confirm the work (we had a RC one with plastic sticking up that we tried first; never seen it sold how ever as we got it from a friend). In the end we ended up with this one which is not a slow eater per say (model small) but because of the food being in the bottom (never keep them full) forces them to slow down in eating and stopped them from throwing up by eating to low as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Good to know they work, I'll have to give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have one for our pup and it works well - she tips the bowl over when she's finished lol! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement