Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect to internet

Options
  • 15-01-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I thought this would be easy but i am trying to connect to the internet from my PC. I have a router (working wirelessly) and i can connect this way alright but i need to be able to plug an ethernet cable directly into the pc from the router. I thought this would allow me to get internet automatically (without wireless key etc) but it doesn't work. Shouldn't this just plug and play ? I am trying to see if the ports are working on the router as i need to plug it to another device which is not wireless enabled. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It should work easy-peasy. Try disconnecting from the wireless connection, and post here the results of typing

ipconfig /all

in a command prompt window, should include something like this (but my wired conn is not connected...)
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-70-AC-F6-56
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

there is a possibility your ethernet cable is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 27 adrian7444

Thanks i will try tomorrow and post result. Away from home now. Cheers

Advertisement