Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre upgrade for my area

Options
  • 15-01-2014 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I'm not currently an eircom customer but would like to join to get efibre unlimited.
    The issue is that the online speed checker states that my line can only get speeds of 30MB
    so I don't want to pay for a max of 70MB when I can only get a max of 30MB. I'm aware that 
    speed is dependent on distance to the nearest exchange so could you tell me if or when this will be 
    Upgraded and improved? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

nottus29 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm not currently an eircom customer but would like to join to get efibre unlimited.
    The issue is that the online speed checker states that my line can only get speeds of 30MB
    so I don't want to pay for a max of 70MB when I can only get a max of 30MB. I'm aware that 
    speed is dependent on distance to the nearest exchange so could you tell me if or when this will be 
    Upgraded and improved? Thanks.
    Hi nottus29

There are currently no plans that will improve issues surrounding distance to the cabinets for efibre lines. If you would like to PM me your landline number I'll double check this indicated speed result for you.

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]Hi nottus29[/font]

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]I'm uanble to reply by PM as you seem to have this function disabled,
    [/font]

[font=Verdana","sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]Yes I can see the max is 30mb. This is why the term 'up to' is used as eircom are unable to tailor make packages in accordance to speeds.[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]The efibre speeds may be increased in years to come however that's speculation at best and cannot be a condition of service or signing up to 30mb I'm afraid.[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]Al[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Has anyone ever been able to get more than 30Mb ? So far anyone I know is getting only 30Mb though they have signed up for up to 70Mb. 

Fibre can carry over 70Mb for hundreds of km and speed has nothing to do with distance from the exchange unless either 1. it's a limitation of the copper from the cabinet to your house or 2. Eircom are reducing the back haul on purpose and capping users. If it's 2, then it sounds like Eircom are advertising something that will never be possible due to restrictions they have put in place and is within their control and nothing to do with the users location or setup. But the heavy user is still forced to go down the 70Mb route just to get unlimited downloads, unless they move to another provider.

Advertisement