Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out on my own

Options
  • 15-01-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all
    I was thinking of starting out on my own doing painting and decorating, i have done this in the past and am quite good at it(I THINK)but want to know where to start, do i need to register for vat as i am unemployed at the moment and where?,
    As i am only starting i would still need some financial help and know that i can still part clam on my social welfare for a time till i got up and running and had a few contacts made,
    Also would like to know what someone who is painting is charging and how is it by the hour or by the day or area they paint and so on,if there is any painters out there your feedback would be much appreciated,thanks for looking.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Burkey88

eugened wrote: »
    Hi all
    I was thinking of starting out on my own doing painting and decorating, i have done this in the past and am quite good at it(I THINK)but want to know where to start, do i need to register for vat as i am unemployed at the moment and where?,
    As i am only starting i would still need some financial help and know that i can still part clam on my social welfare for a time till i got up and running and had a few contacts made,
    Also would like to know what someone who is painting is charging and how is it by the hour or by the day or area they paint and so on,if there is any painters out there your feedback would be much appreciated,thanks for looking.:confused:

If you've been on dole for more than a year you should be able to start buisness Without goin off dole for a certain amount of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Eugened. Read this thread to get a feel for the topic ! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121918

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

eugened wrote: »
    Hi all

Its just my opinion but would you not consider working with an established painter decorator for a while before starting out on your own?, you say you think you are good enough but you dont know what to charge for your work? - I'd imagine there are many other things to consider: suppliers, products, insurance, equipment etc

I think people starting out, especially in service businesses should work in the industry for a while so they know the business inside out before starting out on your own, if you have a talent for it it should be no problem getting some work even unpaid for a while with an established contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Or at least serve their apprenticeship. Sorry, but I'm fed up cleaning up after guys who, "think they're good enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When you say you have done it in the past what exactly do you mean? You have painted your sitting room or someone has hired you to completely do over their house? As others have said it is definitely worth getting some more direct experience with someone else so you can really see what it is like day to day and then decide on whether it is right for you. Drumming up business is probably easier said than done so unless you some how already have a list of clients waiting for jobs to be done its going to be very hard to get up and running.

In terms of the charge question we paint furniture and charge actual costs + hourly + VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 eugened

Hi all again,

Thanks for all your feedback and there is some points to consider,in a answer to some of your question,yes i have done painting before for a good few people from 1 room to a whole house,and the answer to CarrickMcJoe is for sure you would not need to clean up after me as i can sure you when i am finished there is no mess,i have done other work of a different type in peoples homes and always left it tidy,again thanks for all your feedback

Advertisement