Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 32" but tesco won't sell...

Options
  • 15-01-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

Just saw two 32" tvs in Tesco, €100 each..when i asked if i could buy them i was left waiting for about 10 mins for a manager to come out...she told me they were out of stock and that they couldn't sell me the display models...do i have any comeback?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

encore1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just saw two 32" tvs in Tesco, €100 each..when i asked if i could buy them i was left waiting for about 10 mins for a manager to come out...she told me they were out of stock and that they couldn't sell me the display models...do i have any comeback?

Thanks

Definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

Definitely not.

Why is that? I was thinking along the lines of if i went into Debenhams (or somewhere) and saw a coat i liked at reduced price and it was the last one -i.e the display model, they'd more than likely take it down and sell it to me. How is this different?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,075 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why is that? I was thinking along the lines of if i went into Debenhams (or somewhere) and saw a coat i liked at reduced price and it was the last one -i.e the display model, they'd more than likely take it down and sell it to me. How is this different?

Because its entirely their choice whether to or not. What "comeback" were you expecting to get?

MYOB wrote: »
    Because its entirely their choice whether to or not. What "comeback" were you expecting to get?

Maybe i phrased that badly...i suppose i meant is there any way i could score this bargain...?!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Maybe i phrased that badly...i suppose i meant is there any way i could score this bargain...?!
    Thanks

Yeah, you could wait for more stock to come in.

Though I'd be weary of a TV from Tesco tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:P That is exactly what happened my wife in Debenhams Newry a few years back. She saw a top on a store dummy and wanted to buy it but was told it was for display only and they had no others, as it was not for sale until the following week. So, no. You have no recourse. They are not obliged to sell just because it's on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

If they were getting more models in stock they don't want to take a new TV out of the box.

Issues with guarantee since it's a display model, hassle if it breaks, or something broken already while on display. Probably need to go for refurb before selling on. Its hard to stand by this kind of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Probably holding them for staff to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Or were actually out of stock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

It all depends on the shop I guess. Bought a laptop in Curries last year and it was the display model, the last one left. They sold it and manager signed the receipt saying it was a display model in case of any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If its €100 and 32", it must be part of the clearance. Odd they wont want to sell it to you, fair enough if it was a normal display TV, its hassle to have a space for 3 weeks while another TV comes in.

Sounds like a decision made by a duty manager who doesn't realise the TVs are on clearance.

Call the store in the morning and ask for the hard ware manager and ask them what the story is.

Call customer service and get them to search all the other Tesco's for you,maybe there's another non display set close to you.

Or better still get that store to call another 15 stores and check stock, I'm sure after the 4th store the'd sell you the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sonics2k wrote: »

Presumably you don't meant that you'll be tired from watching a TV bought from Tesco, but there'd be nothing different with buying a tv from Tesco than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,075 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks

Wait until they have stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sonics2k wrote: »

I've two TVs from tesco, one 32" LCD that's lasted 5 years and one 38" LCD that I've had for 3 years. Both Technika brands. No issues at all, outlasted (and better picture IMO) than the much dearer Panasonic I had.

maximoose wrote: »
    I've two TVs from tesco, one 32" LCD that's lasted 5 years and one 38" LCD that I've had for 3 years. Both Technika brands. No issues at all, outlasted (and better picture IMO) than the much dearer Panasonic I had.

5 years? That is very poor. I don't have a TV under 8 years old and the rest over 10 years.

If they don't want to sell these TVs then they don't want to sell them and don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

When I said "that's lasted" I meant is still lasting, no sign of it packing in any time soon :)

(Also these are 1080p TVs)

Thanks for all the responses, i think its resolved now

Thanks for all the responses, i think its resolved now

As in, they sold you one?

Advertisement