Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken pox ??

Options
  • 15-01-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all.. I have a 3 year old and an 11 week old baby and I've been informed that my 3 year old has been in contact with a child that has/had chicken pox, I no he has to get them ay some stage but my worry is about my 11 week old catching it?
    Is it ok to get it so young an what should I do to try avoid it or watch out for?,
    Has this happened anyone else with young baby?,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

My youngest was 6 months when she caught them, got over them without a bother on her, got very little spots, and was in great form, my 3 year old was the opposite, got so many spots and in really bad form. It can take something like 2 weeks from being in contact with someone with chicken pox until catching it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My youngest was 5/6 months when he got them as did the 2 and 4 year old. he got quite a few spots but was in pretty good from.
    I rang the gp and he said that if he is eating and in good form not to worry.
    The poor 4 year old was covered and so itchy,the 2 year old mostly slept through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thanks for the replies, good to hear other peoples experiences as I was just worrying about the youngest catching it an looks like my 3 year old could get it worse...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 reginaflange

The virus is air born so try to clean toys often that the two children would play with. Wash bed sheets, blankets etc. If your 11week old baby were to get it, it wouldnt be as dangerous as a newborn or while pregnant. Also its better for them to have it when theyre younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Some get it much worse than others. Stay away from pregnant women or the elderly if you catch it please.

There is a vaccine available for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My eldest got it when my youngest was 8 weeks. I was told he couldn't get it being so young etc...butbhe did. He didn't seem to suffer from the itchiness if that helps? But he had full scale pox everywhere and still has a few scars.

Advertisement