Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Version 1 Software dev grad job

Options
  • 15-01-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hey peps, I've recently finished an MSc in Comp Sci and I applied for a grad job with Version 1 a while back, they got back to me to today and they are looking for software development graduates.
    Can anyone advise me what this role would entail, is it just purely coding all the time or is there more to it. Whilst I done well in my programming modules I can't say I enjoyed them much, I had no problems with my exams and projects but I find coding to be quite boring so I'm a bit concerned about actually coding all day ever day.
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Ok I'll ask..

Why would you do an MSc in Comp Sci if you dont like programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There is a lot more to computer science than programming, we don a good bit on cloud and virtualization, we also done a good bit on networking and these are the modules I liked and this is the area I would like to employed in, so can you tell me anything about software development.
    Also the MSc was a conversion course and prior to the course I never did any programming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Then your going to want a IT support role. They generally start on a help desk resetting password's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Then your going to want a IT support role. They generally start on a help desk resetting password's.

Heh the helldesk will show him what real boredom is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So is there actually any developers here that could tell me what a typical day of a software developer is like, maybe it is something I might enjoy in a working environment.
    I think we can all appreciate that the way progaramming is thought in colleges in Ireland is a crap way of learning and a part of me would like to know what I would be like if I spent 6 months working as a developer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So is there actually any developers here that could tell me what a typical day of a software developer is like, maybe it is something I might enjoy in a working environment.
    I think we can all appreciate that the way progaramming is thought in colleges in Ireland is a crap way of learning and a part of me would like to know what I would be like if I spent 6 months working as a developer.
    Software developers will generally spend the majority of their time coding however there are other tasks they have to do.

Design, Implement, Document, Unit Test, hand off to QA for Functional tests then repeat.

But Version 1 is a consulting firm I believe so what you will actually be doing will depend on what project they have coming up you could end up in a networking, server management role or a Test role.

I'd talk to them and do the interview anyway it would be good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Im a developer, have been for the past 16 years. A typical day in my life would be

08:00 - Breakfast. Always.
    08:30 - boards.ie for a little while
    08:45 - Daily stand up where 3 things are asked. a) what did you do yesterday, b) what will you do today, c) are there any impediments to doing this
    09:00 - Into coding. I code primarily in Javascript. Javascript is a wonderful language, just when you think you have it pegged, something comes up that challenges you to think laterally. You spend most of your day flitting between your IDE of choice, books, and StackOverflow.com. You listen to cool music with your headphones on (I prefer music without lyrics) and at the end of 3 - 4 hours, you have something great built. Modular, efficient, and you just want to show it off to everyone
    12:30 - Lunch. This is where I deviate from your typical dev (epitomised by the IT Crowd) in that it's not fried food and coke for me. Important to leave the office for a while
    13:30 - Back into coding. You'll need to write automated tests for that beautiful piece of modular code that you wrote. You'll also need to merge it back into the codebase.
    17:00 - Home time. But your mind is still active so you spend the next hour or two sitting on the couch reading up on the latest and greatest thing in <insert your technology of choice here>
    03:00 - Bed, after a marathon session of Yank-killing on BF4 or COD.

See, it's fun being a developer. C'mon, join us, we dont bite.. much..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

As a maybe slightly older dev my day is the same but my wife/kids eat up my BF time :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Can anyone advise me what this role would entail, is it just purely coding all the time or is there more to it. Whilst I done well in my programming modules I can't say I enjoyed them much, I had no problems with my exams and projects but I find coding to be quite boring so I'm a bit concerned about actually coding all day ever day.
    I don't want to seem rude, but isn't this something you should really be asking Version 1 about when applying? Also, given it's a software development graduate role, you may find that programming may be a particular focus of the role.

As to the type of work itself, I contracted for V1 about seven years ago and they are, as was suggested, a consultancy firm. This means that they have numerous disciplines and technologies, depending upon demand, which do allow for some level of cross-discipline progression and new skill acquisition, but again depending upon client demand.

Atmosphere and conditions were good, but this was a while back, so it could well be completely different now (I suspect, fewer of us contractors for a start ;) ).

If you're not looking to program, what exactly do you think you might do instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You could try to get into the business analysis part of IT - no coding, some testing, a lot of customer face to face figuring out what they need, and on delivery showing them how the system works, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

08:00 - Breakfast. Always.
    5 hours sleep a night?
    Half of me thinks that's not a great way to remain alert and awake in the office (or even healthy, long-term).

The other half of me, the half that hasn't had a full night's sleep in two years, thinks "You lucky bastard" in Michael Palin's voice...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my day as a developer.

27zU9Q5Tlqkoohp6cO4sF2

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I find too many of my days go more like this:

289180.gif

Advertisement