Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icbf beef maternal sires

• 15-01-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Just heard last week through breed societies that the final 4 young bulls selected for maternal sires icbf program were scored using 'numbers' and none of the bulls were seen by the 12 guys who scored them (unless they happen to own one of them). While I agree data plays a bigger part in farming, when reliability is low how will icbf program work using numbers only to select the maternal sires of the future. I always had a reservation on this approach and now I struggle to see how it will succeed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you might have posted this in the wrong section .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

jonski wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you might have posted this in the wrong section .

Your correct posted in agri since! Asleep at the wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Bellview wrote: »
    Just heard last week through breed societies that the final 4 young bulls selected for maternal sires icbf program were scored using 'numbers' and none of the bulls were seen by the 12 guys who scored them (unless they happen to own one of them). While I agree data plays a bigger part in farming, when reliability is low how will icbf program work using numbers only to select the maternal sires of the future. I always had a reservation on this approach and now I struggle to see how it will succeed.

I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cigarman

You have it wrong.I am in the program and so know the inside workings of the bull selection process.All of the bulls would have been seen by a linear scorer (and their mothers are seen too)....as I had a bull in the mix.!

The results of the inspection are written up and sent to the committee for them to rate them and then pick a few of them..reason they don't see the bulls is that there would be war....one breeder on the committee knocking a fellow breeders bull.....breed societies have tried picking their own testbulls and it's always ended in hardship for all involved.

I agree figures aren't everything but in fairness to icbf these bulls are seen by scorers and those results are then discussed....I'd hold fire until the bulls are tested...meant to be some nice ones bought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nothing to do with Limerick so locking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement