Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jumbo shrimp/prawns

Options
  • 15-01-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi can anyone tell me where to buy the ' LARGE ' jumbo shrimp that you can get in restaurants I can only seem to find the ' king ' prawn version, I assume they are imported frozen , I have tried the Chinese supermarkets like the one at the Jervis Luas stop but they don't have the really big jumbo ones
    Can anyone tell me please
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

no1dad wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me where to buy the ' LARGE ' jumbo shrimp that you can get in restaurants I can only seem to find the ' king ' prawn version, I assume they are imported frozen , I have tried the Chinese supermarkets like the one at the Jervis Luas stop but they don't have the really big jumbo ones
    Can anyone tell me please
    Thanks

Where are you based?

Tiger Prawns are much larger than regular King Prawns. I've seen them in Superquinn, and I've gotten them before in Wrights in Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 no1dad

Hi Baz I am in Dublin Yes tiger prawns are larger but I am looking for the Jumbo which work out about 8-12 to the kilo , I used to get them in Kish and the brand was Royal star or something similar but they discontinued that brand because they became too expensive and they have another brand which I don't think are as good so I am just looking to see if there is anywhere else in Dublin that may stock them
    thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Have you tried the Asian supermakret in Drury Street behind the market bar? pretty sure i've seen them there

if not give the asia market superstore in Ballymount a call, as they would probably have some

Thanks Shrapnel yes I have tried drury street and they don't have the Jumbo ones

Have you tried somewhere like Wrights?

• Advertisement

Yes thanks and in my opinion these ' Jumbo shrimp ' are imported frozen so I am hoping some restauranteur may be able to tell me where they source them from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

they are exactly what I am looking for Melendez many thanks I will contact Superquinn and see if I can be notified when they have them

Melendez wrote: »

Tbh, I wouldn't look into too much unless you want to be shocked at how they're farmed in that part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Advertisement

I too am hooked on the Jumbo prawns hence the post and I block out the origin of them but thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i found the cure for this addiction. i was hopelessly addicted until i discovered lobster and king crab. you can get lobster easy and king crab in howth or "taste of the sea" in glasnevin. Both are a lot better than frozen jumbo prawn and take spices and marination equally well. Although I like them best cooked in butter with just salt, pepper a clove of garlic and a green chilli :pac:

lobster is expensive, king crab is cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

I know this is an old thread but lets just say I found some proper monsters out in howth the other day in Beshoffs The Market.

WH7XMFt.jpg
    Around 4 euro a pop, think they sold them as white prawns.
    Yummy and tasted fantastic after an hour in some marinade and then on the bbq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SnipSnop wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but lets just say I found some proper monsters out in howth the other day in Beshoffs The Market.

WH7XMFt.jpg
    Around 4 euro a pop, think they sold them as white prawns.
    Yummy and tasted fantastic after an hour in some marinade and then on the bbq

got 4 of these when in portugal as a starter ..€55 i nearly had a heart attack when I got the bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

God they're huge. Where are they from though?

God they're huge. Where are they from though?

I dont really want to know :) Generally I would not buy farmed but tbh I doubt these are caught in the wild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

People really shouldn't buy prawns from Asia, horrible processes and slave labour so I'd always question where they come from

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think they are from mars... species sandkings right?
    Actually got them once... lot of waste didnt think they had as much flesh as you think once cooked but let us know how you get on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think they are from mars... species sandkings right?
    Actually got them once... lot of waste didnt think they had as much flesh as you think once cooked but let us know how you get on.

lol
    Head was big enough, but lots of flesh. Tbh you would not eat more than 3-4 of them anyway. They are that big.

People really shouldn't buy prawns from Asia, horrible processes and slave labour so I'd always question where they come from

Fully agree and always try not to, but just this one time I gave in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Slave labour is happening on Irish fishing boats too, hundreds of Egyptian fishermen are now working on Irish boats getting paid 3 quid an hour for working 100+ hours per week
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/scheme-for-fishing-crews-is-legitimising-slavery-1.2965818

Advertisement