Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cauliflower rice???? Anyone tried it..

Options
  • 15-01-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭

just watched Jamie oliver on tv and he made "cauliflower rice" as a rice substitute - cheaper and lower in calories…
    I HATE cauliflower - the smell of it when its boiled - and not fond of the taste of it..
    But he reckons that one would not suspect that it is cauliflower - anyone tried it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

sporina wrote: »
    just watched Jamie oliver on tv and he made "cauliflower rice" as a rice substitute - cheaper and lower in calories…
    I HATE cauliflower - the smell of it when its boiled - and not fond of the taste of it..
    But he reckons that one would not suspect that it is cauliflower - anyone tried it?

Big staple in my diet! I microwave it for about 5 mins with a few drops of water. Smell, I find, depends on the cauliflower! Love it though and have it with most curries etc... would argue it's not cheaper though. Rice far far cheaper! A good sized head is about 2 Euro and I would only get 3 portions max out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I serve it with curry a lot. It's lovely fried with some cumin, coriander and garam masala. I don't like the taste of boiled cauliflower but I love it in or with curry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I have it periodically and am kind of meh about it. It is not bad, but I think it is a mistake to think of it as 'rice' - it doesn't have the same carby feel or the same absorption qualities. And I think you probably need to have it with something that overwhelms the cauliflower taste. And I like cauliflower.

I wonder though if it might be good in something like a rice salad, cold with lots of other stuff.

I do a lot of subbing stuff for other stuff - like cauliflower rice and cauliflower pizza crust and I have come to the conclusion that trying to make something you know and love out of something else is a mistake. You have got to think of it as a new thing rather than trying to replicate something else. If you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I think it's horrible. And I like cauliflower.

I have had it with a curry as a rice replacement, and also with steak as a mash replacement.

It is nothing like mashed potatoes or rice and while I have no doubt that it is possible to like it, don't listen to anyone who says you'd hardly notice, because the difference is extremely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Just got into cauliflower rice recently. I find the best way is to microwave it for 5 minutes first and then fry it off in a wok with a tiny bit of oil. It brings out a nice nutty flavour. I usually don't like cauliflower unless it's covered in a cheese sauce but the rice is actually quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I make cauliflower rice as a side dish a lot. I'll throw it in the wok with a little water and some spices... turmeric, coriander & cumin are great with tikka masala. Cook until just softened..

I've turned it into egg fried 'rice' a good few times too and it's really tasty :)

Advertisement