Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiser Recycling - cancellation by registered letter is being ignored

Options
  • 15-01-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

In September last year I cancelled the bin collection service with Wiser Recycling. In writing, by registered letter. A few days ago I received an invoice from them for the past three and the coming three months.

What to do? Laugh and throw the invoice into the fire? Send Wiser Recycling yet another registered letter which might also be ignored? Cry on Joe's shoulder? Jaysus...

The bins I asked them to remove are also still here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Carbon125 wrote: »
    In September last year I cancelled the bin collection service with Wiser Recycling. In writing, by registered letter. A few days ago I received an invoice from them for the past three and the coming three months.

What to do? Laugh and throw the invoice into the fire? Send Wiser Recycling yet another registered letter which might also be ignored? Cry on Joe's shoulder? Jaysus...

The bins I asked them to remove are also still here.

Tell them you cancelled in September and they need to take their bins off your property - i assume you stopped using the service?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I assumed you've checked the tracking for the reg letter which confirmed it was received?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Yes, I had stopped using Wiser Recycling's "service" and had switched over to a competent service provider.
    The registered letter was received, the tracking result even shows the name of the person who signed for the letter.

Yes, I had stopped using Wiser Recycling's "service" and had switched over to a competent service provider.
    The registered letter was received, the tracking result even shows the name of the person who signed for the letter.
    I'd ring them up and just get that clarified so, insist they take away their bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Put the bins on Adverts.ie and send them the link.

• Advertisement

I'd ring them up and just get that clarified so, insist they take away their bins.

Based on past performance Wiser will say "yes, yes" on the phone but actually do nothing. Email gets ignored too if it doesn't suit Wiser. Their very poor communication skills were one of the reasons I cancelled their service. Last resort: a registered letter... Or so you would think. I never imagined a company would have the nerve to ignore a cancellation by registered letter.

Anyway, I just sent them another one of those. Pointed out that the service contract had been cancelled by registered letter, asked them to refrain from sending invoices for a service no longer subscribed to and gave a final deadline for removing the bins.

If this still doesn't help I'll make sure Wiser's business conduct get some exposure on national radio.

Based on past performance Wiser will say "yes, yes" on the phone but actually do nothing. Email gets ignored too if it doesn't suit Wiser. Their very poor communication skills were one of the reasons I cancelled their service. Last resort: a registered letter... Or so you would think. I never imagined a company would have the nerve to ignore a cancellation by registered letter.

Anyway, I just sent them another one of those. Pointed out that the service contract had been cancelled by registered letter, asked them to refrain from sending invoices for a service no longer subscribed to and gave a final deadline for removing the bins.

If this still doesn't help I'll make sure Wiser's business conduct get some exposure on national radio.

No radio station will give a monkeys. Do the lorries come around your way still? You could give the bins to the lads and they should take them away.

No radio station will give a monkeys.
    A good few years ago I had a problem with Eircom. They just would not refund the substantial deposit which they had taken from me for the privilege of becoming a customer of their mobile phone service (back in the days when mobiles were like bricks). Phone calls to Eircom were like talking to the wall, email was only just being invented, letters got nowhere and I ended up writing to the then minister for telecommunications, a certain Mr. Brian Cowen.

Mr. Cowen did what he probably does best: nothing... He referred the matter back to Eircom.

I contacted a radio station and a few days later Gay Byrne related the whole sorry saga to the nation. 24 hours later I received a profuse apology from Eircom. And my refund.

A good few years ago I had a problem with Eircom. They just would not refund the substantial deposit which they had taken from me for the privilege of becoming a customer of their mobile phone service (back in the days when mobiles were like bricks). Phone calls to Eircom were like talking to the wall, email was only just being invented, letters got nowhere and I ended up writing to the then minister for telecommunications, a certain Mr. Brian Cowen.

Mr. Cowen did what he probably does best: nothing... He referred the matter back to Eircom.

I contacted a radio station and a few days later Gay Byrne related the whole sorry saga to the nation. 24 hours later I received a profuse apology from Eircom. And my refund.

That's completely different to a private company forgetting you cancelled and not taking away the bins. Have a bit of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

That's completely different to a private company forgetting you cancelled and not taking away the bins. Have a bit of cop on.

It was a cool story though :)

• Advertisement

No difference whatsoever.
    And please keep condescending remarks to yourself.

emeldc wrote: »
    It was a cool story though :)
    Those 5 minutes of airtime had more impact than an army of solicitors would have had. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gay Byrne

Whos he???

Seriously, good story

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stick to the original topic please.

OP - If you have proof that the cancellation letter was received and you were within the terms of the cancellation T&Cs, then you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - stick to the original topic please.

OP - If you have proof that the cancellation letter was received and you were within the terms of the cancellation T&Cs, then you are fine.

This all day along. Wait til it goes to court and then whip out the copy of the registered letter I hope you kept.

Meanwhile, give them an ultimatum that if they havent removed the bins by date X that youll get someone else to do it and youll send wiser the bill. get legal advice beforehand you can do this.

a quick phonecall in the right ear in that company should sort it though.

Advertisement