Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named Driver Insurance as well as own policy?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey Quick Question,

I have my own policy on my car,
    can i insure my husband as a named driver on my policy?

He has his own separate policy in his own name to.

Just wondering as adding him to my policy seems to bring down my premium..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Most companies will add a spouse for free or even a discount. A way of trying to rope you into buying more policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

Just wondering 2 cars husband and wife both insured on each others cars as named drivers.

What happens if wife has an accident with the husbands car,
    whose insurance goes up, they are both using the same insurance company

chessguy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

chessguy wrote: »
    Just wondering 2 cars husband and wife both insured on each others cars as named drivers.

chessguy.

Assuming the usual third-party extensions I should say they'd have the choice. Mind you, in theory at least it shouldn't matter. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Hey Quick Question,

I have my own policy on my car,
    can i insure my husband as a named driver on my policy?

He has his own separate policy in his own name to.

Just wondering as adding him to my policy seems to bring down my premium..

Thanks in advance

I've yet to see a policy that allowed one spouse to drive the other spouse's car under third party extension. Usually it is specifically excluded.
    If you are driving each others cars now without being named drivers on the other policy there is a good chance you are driving without insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

chessguy wrote: »

chessguy.

This happened to me, I was driving my wife's car when I clipped a 3rd party while reversing. That's when the insurance company informed us about a thing called double indemnity which means that each insurances company will cover part of the cost and both policies are affected. Right pita that one little tip means the loss of the no claims bonus for two people, but you live and learn.

pug_ wrote: »
    This happened to me, I was driving my wife's car when I clipped a 3rd party while reversing. That's when the insurance company informed us about a thing called double indemnity which means that each insurances company will cover part of the cost and both policies are affected. Right pita that one little tip means the loss of the no claims bonus for two people, but you live and learn.

Even if husband agrees to claim via his policy, would it still affect both policies ,negatively,

thanks chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

We didn't get a choice, it's something that a number of insurance companies have signed up to, and if they've signed up to it then it happens automatically. Not all insurance companies are involved in this, but from what I could tell at the time most of the major ones are.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

Don't mean to butt in here, but this is a similiar question. My mother is named driver on my fathers policy (it's her car) as his jeep is insured with his company, I am wondering if my mother could take out her own policy on a new, third car and put me as named driver on that policy (while staying as named driver on my father's) ?

• Advertisement

JDM Jack wrote: »
    Don't mean to butt in here, but this is a similiar question. My mother is named driver on my fathers policy (it's her car) as his jeep is insured with his company, I am wondering if my mother could take out her own policy on a new, third car and put me as named driver on that policy (while staying as named driver on my father's) ?

yes she can take out a new policy and put you on it as a named drive
    chessguy

Advertisement