Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joys, Baggot Street - Closed

Options
  • 15-01-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Anyone ever go there? I did the odd time, but only in the last year regularly. Thus, I was a very belated convert as I am a serious night-owl..... Shame it's gone; shut just about a week ago. It must have been on the go for thirty years or more.

Some good memories there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

It was in a basement a few doors up from the Ulster Bank at the corner. Latterly, only opened about midnight on Friday and Saturday nights, open until very late. All sorts of late birds, quite an eclectic mix of people went there, maturer crowd (like me!), many regulars.

There was a nice article in the Sunday Indo about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Didn't Joys have a reputation for being a place where more "mature" ladies picked up younger fellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

To an extent, Jupiter, but the reality was far removed from the reputation. It's true it had a mixed age group - last time I was there just before Christmas I'd say the ages varied from mid thirties to late 50s, but there were no couples of ridiculously different ages - fairly normal, albeit a maturer and very late crowd.

Over its lifetime you'd hear all sorts of stories, some with good enough foundation, but by no means all. But this is probably true of any place open that long....

• Advertisement
Advertisement