Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG Accommodation for 2014-2015

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to start Commerce and Irish in NUIG this September. I was just wondering about what the story is with accommodation. I'd like to live in one of the campuses I think because right now i don't know anybody else going, but just looking for a bit of advice as to which one to go for and when should I be booking it by. Would you be living with other 1st years or are you mixed up with any year? Is there anybody else in the same position?
    Id really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

If you're looking to party a lot then Corrib Village, basic and an en suite room is advised. Not cheap. Book by March for the room you want

If you're quiet and would like a nice place, then Cuirt Na Coiribe is for you. Not as expensive as it appears. Book by mid february for the room you want.

If you want the best of both, then Gort Na Coiribe is a good balance. You need to book the moment bookings open at around the end of january, as there is a lot of demand for these rooms and again, try to get an en suite room. People queue from early in the morning on the first day, so if you're booking online check out how you pay.

Centrepoint is cheaper, further out and a bus now runs from the complex. be prepared to get taxis home from town. This complex is up for sale at the moment. Booking by June advisable.

Dunaras is the other side of town and again a bus runs from the complex. Booking by May.

Amrha house is near town, can be damp and is just as expensive.

Check out the accommodation thread and also you tube for a better idea.
    Don't worry, you'll be in with other first years and it won't take you long to make friends with all the socs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Can I just add, Gort na Coirribe is not the "best of both worlds"-that comes down to who you get stuck living with.

It really REALLY does down to who you live with-you might get quiet people as flatmates who wont make a peep or noisy mad feckers who break everything and keep you up every night till 5am.

Its just the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deeirdrekelly

thanks for the feedback. I had Dúnáras in mind for September but its a bit annoying how far it is from everything. Yeah, i suppose you never know until you're there. I just wanted to make sure there would be plenty of 1st years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nsc_p091

thanks for the feedback. I had Dúnáras in mind for September but its a bit annoying how far it is from everything. Yeah, i suppose you never know until you're there. I just wanted to make sure there would be plenty of 1st years anyway.

I'm in the same position as you, and I have no idea about accomodation.. I more scared about the living aspect of college over everything else put together:L

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pinkfairylady

im a first year at the min living in dunaras,its not that far takes 15 mins to walk to college and theres a free bus :) its not as far out as people make out,i walk it every day

• Advertisement

im a first year at the min living in dunaras,its not that far takes 15 mins to walk to college and theres a free bus :) its not as far out as people make out,i walk it every day

You are the first person I have ever heard say dunaras's locations is alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Patricia12345

Hey,
    i put a deposit for the year 14/15 in cuirt na coiribe and I'm gona be a first year.
    I'm starting to get worried from reading the posts on this that I should of booked corrib village but its too late now, is there any craic in cuirt for first years.
    Someone help me please :)

Ok im a first year in nuig living in gort na coiribe. My advice to any and all incoming 1st years. Corrib village is the place to be. If you dont like partying too much get a double room with en suite. As far as im aware all the blocks with those are beside security so parties dont really happen there. Its the best place by far to meet people and hence make friends. After that I would suggest dunaras for meeting people although the location is a bit of a balls and the bus timetable isn't great apparently. Following this Gort and cuirt are grand, but not great for meeting first years. Cuirt sort you into apartments based on your age so theres less of a chance for first years to be living with a handful of third years for eg. In gort you wont (as far as im aware) be made live with someone of the opposite gender unless you ask to live with specific people who are. Im in a house of 3 second years and my roommate and I are first years. The walk is grand and you're so close to food shops compared to corrib and theres a bus that runs every 20 minutes for a euro per journey. But I still regret not having applied to corrib accommodation to this day. Ive found it difficult to make friends and you cabt get into corrib after 6 (you csn but you have to be signed out by 10 and its just bit of a balls cause you want to go home and eat and cabt be bothered goung back in etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Corrib is a good laugh but expensive and very basic. Did they ever properly fix the internet in there? Used to be the worst in the country

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Corrib is a good laugh but expensive and very basic. Did they ever properly fix the internet in there? Used to be the worst in the country

Certain blocks have good internet and others have terrible. The closer to reception the better I believe

As far as Im aware its much cheaper than Gort or Cuirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

Anyone have experience with Menlo Park apartments? And what's the broadband situation like in the popular student accommodation places? Ideally I'd like decent speeds and unlimited data caps

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Raychie

I lived in Menlo last year for my first year but it was very strict and the internet was crap. You also lose any bit of motivation you may have had for morning lectures because the walk is long enough. I took the year out to save up to switch courses so now that i'll be doing first year all over again i'm going for corrib village :) it's expensive but its so close to college and i've heard the craic is mighty. Don't get me wrong though menlo is a lovely place but i wouldn't recommend it to first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nunchuks

cheers man, i hadn't even considered the walk in. i was only in corrib village a couple of times but the checking in thing they make non-residents do is torture, i wouldn't fancy it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

When I was in first year, I lived in Centrepoint, and while it's probably the student accommodation furthest from campus (with the exception of Dunaras, which is serviced by its own bus), I found it a fantastic place to live, very comfortable and warm, and at a decent price too. It was only 5-10 minutes on my bike, so I got pretty fit as well going to college! I also managed to get a place around the 4th of September, but I'd advice booking early anywhere, once you've taken a look at the place and are happy with it. Corrib Village is generally considered the "party" place, but that can be a hindrance if you're going into a course like Engineering or Medicine, or even if you're just someone who generally likes to be able to relax quietly in the evenings. I stayed in Corrib Village for a few days and I didn't think the rooms were great, they seemed very cheap, the furniture and the way the walls were painted actually reminded me of my secondary school which I didn't like. Centrepoint was a fun place to live, it was generally 1st/2nd years, with some international students as well.
    Don't think that your social life is only going to be decided by the place where you stay, you're going to be on a campus with loads of people really! My advice would be to join a few clubs/societies, it's a great way to get to know people!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Raychie

Just wondering is there any storage under the beds in Corrib? What's the internet like?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Raychie wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any storage under the beds in Corrib? What's the internet like?

Staying in Corrib at the minute; there is some storage under the beds, and there should be some pictures of rooms on their website if you look.
    http://www.campusaccommodation.ie/

I found the internet was pretty slow in semester one, but it has been better since after Christmas or so.
    Having said that, other people may have had different experiences with it, I heard someone say once that it's better the nearer you are to reception.

Staying in Corrib at the minute; there is some storage under the beds, and there should be some pictures of rooms on their website if you look.
    http://www.campusaccommodation.ie/

I found the internet was pretty slow in semester one, but it has been better since after Christmas or so.
    Having said that, other people may have had different experiences with it, I heard someone say once that it's better the nearer you are to reception.

I have friends in block a which is tge furthest from reception and block g which is the closest. Block as reception to my recollection wasnt great and gs was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherinef95

I'll be going to nuig in September and I was just wondering are there good first year areas to live in that aren't officially student accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'll be going to nuig in September and I was just wondering are there good first year areas to live in that aren't officially student accomodation?
    Fairlands Park or any of the housing estates between Thomas Hynes Road and Upper Newcastle. Right beside college and plenty of first years in houses that are cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherinef95

Thanks my main aim is to meet new people and I know that going to student accomodation is the best way to do that but I'd just rather the freedom of having my own place and it's cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thanks my main aim is to meet new people and I know that going to student accomodation is the best way to do that but I'd just rather the freedom of having my own place and it's cheaper.
    You will meet plenty of new people regardless of if you stay in your own place or in the student villages like Corrib. Joining clubs and societies is best place to meet new people and better(from experience) than going into the student villages

• Registered Users Posts: 8 081994

HugsiePie wrote: »
    You are the first person I have ever heard say dunaras's locations is alright
    i lived in dunaras 13/14. its really good accommodation. security is so handy you can sneak people in no problem. its not far out at all its fifteen mins to college and there's a bus free to the college and the 405 will bring you into town for 2euro.. cheap for nights out. so close to salthill! i had great craic here went knowing nobody but you make friends easily because of the bus theres always house parties and anyone goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 leemurf

Hey guys, Im not to sure if im in the right place, but can someone help me out with the payment system for accommodation , im looking at DunAras and it says theres a weekly amount and a moiety payment, are they the same thing and I just pay by week or do I pay the full €3020 (or whatever it is) in one go and also pay the weekly amount? Sorry if its a stupid question im just really confused..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Donegal1995

anybody staying in Gort?:)

Advertisement