Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat sink fan turning on and off, PC not booting?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

So I have an old PC that I was installing Linux on earlier, the installation went fine but I noticed that the fan was running at a high speed for a long time without calming down. I decided to strip it back and clear off some of the dust but after removing the heat sink I discovered there was little or no thermal paste.
    I put the PC back together and now when I power it on the fan spins for maybe 10 seconds then dies and reboots. This continues until I pull the power altogether.

I'm hoping it's just a case of re applying some paste and all will be well again, would this sound about right or are there any other causes of this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

You didn't by any chance damage the processor while taking the fan off? Did the fan just come off or did you have to force it? If it was forced some of the pins on the processor could be damaged, what you described sounds like a processor problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

When you say "you noticed there was little or no paste", did you put new thermal paste on?

Or did you just simply put the heatsink back on, if this is the case, the CPU will have a thermal shutdown limit, to prevent damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

johndoe99 wrote: »

Or did you just simply put the heatsink back on, if this is the case, the CPU will have a thermal shutdown limit, to prevent damage.

Turns out that was the problem. Put on new paste and it was all cured after that!

Thanks for the help! :)

Advertisement