Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veterinary Scotland

• 16-01-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm currently in fifth year and I really want to do veterinary in either Glasgow or Edinborough. It says on the websites that besides the leaving cert results you need to have gotten a B or higher in English and Irish in the Junior cert, which I did not get. Does anyone or know of anyone who did the veterinary course in Scotland and if so are the junior cert results that important? Or is there no chance of getting in?Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

kmm2497 wrote: »
    Hi I'm currently in fifth year and I really want to do veterinary in either Glasgow or Edinborough. It says on the websites that besides the leaving cert results you need to have gotten a B or higher in English and Irish in the Junior cert, which I did not get.
    You need junior cert Irish to study in the UK? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmm2497

djpbarry wrote: »
    You need junior cert Irish to study in the UK? What?

Maths I meant sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Maths I meant sorry
    Still sounds strange. I've never heard of junior cert results being taken into consideration for a university application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Hi, I'm in 6th year at the moment and I applied to both those universities for veterinary this year (got rejected from Glasgow, haven't heard anything back from Edinburgh yet). :)

I did meet those JC requirements but I really doubt they'd reject you automatically if you didn't have them. It's very difficult to get an offer to study Veterinary Medicine in the UK, it's very competitive, and I wish my guidance counsellor had told me sooner! The most important things for your UCAS application are your personal statement (SO important!) and predicted LC grades.

If I were you I'd get as much animal-related work experience as possible during the mid-term, Easter, summer, next October mid-term, maybe do Saturdays at a clinical practice etc. And try to get varied experience as well Eg. Stables, kennels, farm, small animal clinical practice, large animal clinical practice, the zoo maybe, literally EVERYWHERE.

I know it seems like a lot of work and effort but that's what you're up against in the UK, it's what you have to do if you want to compete with them. The grades may not be as important but the work experience is vital. I had no idea they expected so much of us until after my application, and all my experience is horse-related, so I basically have no chance, but I'm still hoping :p

So my advice to you is still apply next year, when you're filling out your JC results on the application you could just lie to be on the safe side, they're not going to check :pac: or if you're too honest fill in the true results, but have all other aspects of your application top notch so they won't want to reject you!
    Keep working hard in 5th year and do your best in the summer exams so your teachers will hopefully predict high grades for you, get as much varied work experience as you possibly can this year, and then come October 2014 you can write an excellent personal statement (get your English teacher to help) that will make Glasgow and Edinburgh fight over you!!

Hope this was of some help, best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmm2497

RedSeven7 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in 6th year at the moment and I applied to both those universities for veterinary this year (got rejected from Glasgow, haven't heard anything back from Edinburgh yet). :)

I did meet those JC requirements but I really doubt they'd reject you automatically if you didn't have them. It's very difficult to get an offer to study Veterinary Medicine in the UK, it's very competitive, and I wish my guidance counsellor had told me sooner! The most important things for your UCAS application are your personal statement (SO important!) and predicted LC grades.

If I were you I'd get as much animal-related work experience as possible during the mid-term, Easter, summer, next October mid-term, maybe do Saturdays at a clinical practice etc. And try to get varied experience as well Eg. Stables, kennels, farm, small animal clinical practice, large animal clinical practice, the zoo maybe, literally EVERYWHERE.

I know it seems like a lot of work and effort but that's what you're up against in the UK, it's what you have to do if you want to compete with them. The grades may not be as important but the work experience is vital. I had no idea they expected so much of us until after my application, and all my experience is horse-related, so I basically have no chance, but I'm still hoping :p

So my advice to you is still apply next year, when you're filling out your JC results on the application you could just lie to be on the safe side, they're not going to check :pac: or if you're too honest fill in the true results, but have all other aspects of your application top notch so they won't want to reject you!
    Keep working hard in 5th year and do your best in the summer exams so your teachers will hopefully predict high grades for you, get as much varied work experience as you possibly can this year, and then come October 2014 you can write an excellent personal statement (get your English teacher to help) that will make Glasgow and Edinburgh fight over you!!

Hope this was of some help, best of luck! :)

Thanks a mill this was a huge help, I will definatly try for work experience and best of luck in your Leaving Cert I hope you get what you want!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Thanks a mill this was a huge help, I will definatly try for work experience and best of luck in your Leaving Cert I hope you get what you want!

Don't mention it, glad to help, and thanks :D I hope so too :pac:

Advertisement