Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use up onion+garlic?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions on how to use up a bag of red onions and/or 3 heads of garlic send them this way please! Preferably something that will keep or freeze as I'm only cooking for one! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Onion bhajis and garlic olive oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Red onion marmalade nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"Lazy Garlic" - peel all your garlic, then stick into a food processor (if you have one), whizz it into a past-ey, chopped garlic looking mass, into a spare jar, cover with olive oil, and into the fridge.

This way, whenever you need garlic for a recipe, you won't have to chop it. A teaspoon of this is about 1 cloves worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I might be being over-cautious, but I have heard a few times that storing raw garlic in oil can be dangerous because it is a good environment for botulism spores to grow. Apparently garlic tends to have it on its surface naturally, and the anaerobic environment of a jar of oil provides a good growing environment.

Edit: here's a link talking about the risks:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/485148-eating-raw-garlic-botulism/

It's not hugely likely to happen but then botulism is so nasty I'd rather be stupidly paranoid about it than otherwise :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

B0jangles wrote: »
    I might be being over-cautious, but I have heard a few times that storing raw garlic in oil can be dangerous because it is a good environment for botulism spores to grow. Apparently garlic tends to have it on its surface naturally, and the anaerobic environment of a jar of oil provides a good growing environment.

I have never heard this before, but presumably you could peel all the cloves and blanch them and then store them in oil.

Personally I'd just keep both of them in a dark, dry place. They would both keep for ages that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I second red onion marmalade. Nice spread on the hang sangwich.

As to garlic, get a whole chicken and do '40 cloves of garlic chicken'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

French Onion Soup

Edit: D'oh. Actually just spotted you have red onions. Not sure what a red onion French onion soup would be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

French Onion Soup

Edit: D'oh. Actually just spotted you have red onions. Not sure what a red onion French onion soup would be like

I've eaten it. It's nice. A little sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Chop it all, put it laid out flat in a very low oven for a couple of hours & dehydrate it, store it in airtight containers & use when cooking (flavours will be intensified).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

French Onion Soup

its very nice, i make FO soup with half white and half red onion. add in a little balsamic

Pretty sure onions of different variety can be switched with each other as and when with only minor differences in flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Bung em all in your slow cooker and make lazy caramelised onions. Batch freeze or turn into soup, or just smush onto sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

its very nice, i make FO soup with half white and half red onion. add in a little balsamic

Pretty sure onions of different variety can be switched with each other as and when with only minor differences in flavour.
    dipdip wrote: »
    I've eaten it. It's nice. A little sweeter.

I formally retract my 'D'oh' in this case.

You could also make onion rings OP, buttermilk soaked ones are piggy-in-trough good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

When I have a glut of garlic I peel and freeze it then mince it as needed. I'm sure you could prepare the onion and freeze it in portions for use later.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Oooh wasn't expecting all the replies I'm getting over excited now with all the possibilities! The chicken recipe (minus the chicken, with a vegetarian replacement) might work, the red onion marmalade going to have to try - anyone have recipe links to a favourite? And dehydrating them- so simple hadn't thought of that! Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If dehydrating is on the cards, make vadouvan

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I chop and freeze onions. Handy to have for dinner, take a handful (or the bag) and add to stirfry, stew, etc etc

Advertisement