Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to Live on the Green Luas Line

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im moving to dublin in the summer and starting a job in the south side of the city. What would be the best place to live on the green luas line, which is affordable for 2 people and a good area. complete newbie to dublin and in need of help. thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

what are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kiwi87

i dont want to go over 1500, i dont know is that a bit ambitious. i dont want to spend most of my day commuting in and out of town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It makes sense to balance your commuting against your rent, so where you will be working is probably the most important bit. Then it is a matter of balancing that against the usual shopping, childcare, medical services, entertainment, etc.

Most places on the Green Line are perfectly decent. Nearer the city in Ranelagh and Rathmines, you'll find more students and younger people. Between Cowper and Sandyford you have a lot of older areas with established families, while south of Sandyford are newer areas with younger families. North of Cowper, you won't need a car, while south of it if you are right on the Green Line, you won't need a car either, but away from the line, life can be car-orientated suburbia.

Use www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie to check what properties are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Where on the Green Line is the stop closest to your work?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Where will you be working?

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Where will you be working?

Working in city centre, stephens green area!

dublins your oyster then! anywhere will have transport (+walk) to stephens green

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, Dart/ Rail would have you in Stephens Green in around 10 minutes from Pearse or Tara Street, if you didn't want to restrict yourself just to luas. Plus that area is well served by buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yeah, Dart/ Rail would have you in Stephens Green in around 10 minutes from Pearse or Tara Street, if you didn't want to restrict yourself just to luas. Plus that area is well served by buses.

Twenty/thirty minute frequencies on DART and buses full of condensation half the year? Luas wins hands down for me. There is decent and affordable housing along most of the Green Line beyond Dundrum and easy access to Ranelagh makes it a win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭Macy0161

15 minute frequences on the dart most of the time, particular at peak times. After that it's subjective about whats the "best" area to live (some would put access to the coast above access to Ranelagh for example - each to their own!)

• Advertisement

To b honest id prefer to b on d luas line! Its just handier. Thinking about dundrum. I think any further out wud b a bit too much of a commute for everyday! Is that a good area, i know the shopping centre is there, but would it be a decent place to live, area and amenities wise? Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

kiwi87 wrote: »
    To b honest id prefer to b on d luas line! Its just handier. Thinking about dundrum. I think any further out wud b a bit too much of a commute for everyday! Is that a good area, i know the shopping centre is there, but would it be a decent place to live, area and amenities wise? Thanks guys!

I lived in Dundrum for two years and loved it, it's a nice area, has lots to do, is less than 15 minutes from the city centre, has some decent bars and a bus to Enniskerry for weekend trips.

The only downside is that it's expensive, a 2 bed apartment will cost at least €1,200 per month.

Luas is very handy, very frequent and very reliable. It also runs an hour later than buses or Dart so you can stay out till after midnight and run to catch the last Luas home at 12:30 six nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jos1966

Goatstown is near Dundrum and near Airfield open farm. It is also very near the Luas line. I am only in Dublin for about a 1 and 1/2 years but find the variety re Transport great, people do not need a car if they are on a Luas or Dart line. People give out about buses but that is another alternative and they are more frequent then outside of Dublin, whatever Dublin people say.

The Luas can be quite packed early in the morning but if you are getting on in around Dundrum then you should have a seat.

Good Luck in your research and I must say that i really love Dublin.

Be very careful if you travel alone late at night especially on the Dart - I would not recommend it especially if you are female

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jos1966 wrote: »
    Be very careful if you travel alone late at night especially on the Dart - I would not recommend it especially if you are female

Utter rubbish. I am female. I live beside the Sutton Dart station and I take the Dart everywhere, at all times of the day and night. I have never had a single problem, ever.

think we need a happy medium here -
    if traveling alone on dublin transport (day or night), try to keep your wits about you.
    look around the carriage / bus before you choose a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Jos1966 wrote: »
    especially if you are female

In fact, men are much more likely to be the victim of violence in public.

Agree i think there is a happy medium, but if you have your wits about you (and that includes men and female) you should be okay.

I had to use a late bus from Dublin city (11.00 p.m.) and it was fine. The journey can even be entertaining (sometimes) Once you know that your valuables are safe including your phone, if you have to make a call, then do but like anywhere and that is the middle of the day, make sure that someone can't grab it.

If my friends say they don't like Dublin then that is their provocative but i tell them that i love it and that includes all the busy streets in the city - LOVE DUBLIN. It is my home now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Lived inDartry for a few years (Milltown Luas). Can highly recommend it, very quiet, there's actually an apartment complex beside the Luas stop which usually has some places for rent.

• Advertisement

kiwi87 wrote: »

What's your definition of a long commute? On the Luas, Balally to the Green is about 15-17 minutes. Sandyford---->Green is 20-22 minutes. From Carrickmines to the Green is around 33-35 minutes. The full length of the Green line from Bride's Glen is about 40-42 minutes.

If you end up living in Ranelagh, don't bother with the Luas, just walk.

Those times are approximate, but not far off the mark.

Advertisement