Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student, back to college for third time.

Options
  • 16-01-2014 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all, So let me explain my circumstances. So I went to college in 2006 to do a degree programme and subsequently left after 3 months, this also happened in 2008. I was liable for half a year's fees the second time round and I paid this. What happened both times was, I moved away from home and became very down on both occasions. In 2009 I was diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder...the list goes on. This is the reason I was unable to complete the courses and at the time I was unable to understand why I became so ill. Now I am well and on medication. My health has really improved and I wish to return to education. My question is am I liable for fees as I left due to medical reasons? Also, would I qualify as a ''second chance'' student as I have been away from education for 5 years. Thanks a mill, Maureen x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Mardz wrote: »
    Hi all, So let me explain my circumstances. So I went to college in 2006 to do a degree programme and subsequently left after 3 months, this also happened in 2008. I was liable for half a year's fees the second time round and I paid this. What happened both times was, I moved away from home and became very down on both occasions. In 2009 I was diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder...the list goes on. This is the reason I was unable to complete the courses and at the time I was unable to understand why I became so ill. Now I am well and on medication. My health has really improved and I wish to return to education. My question is am I liable for fees as I left due to medical reasons? Also, would I qualify as a ''second chance'' student as I have been away from education for 5 years. Thanks a mill, Maureen x

From what you say it sounds like you would be in with a good chance of being considered under the 2nd chance rule. You could check with the dept of education to be sure: (057) 932 4300. Its the free fees section you're looking for.

Advertisement