Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Hospital Appointment, 22 years later!

Options
  • 16-01-2014 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I know some of us believe that the HSE are under severe pressure at the moment but the level of total incompetence I witnessed this morning left me speechless and angry.

An appointments letter arrived for my mother-in-law informing her of a time and date for her mammogram, nothing wrong with that I hear you say but the only problem was that she had passed away over 22 years ago, the letter was received by her father who is close on 90years old and to be honest could have done with out this, it has really upset my mother-in-law's family.

I am just throwing it out there to see if anybody else ever went through this with the HSE? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭Philope

An appointments letter arrived for my mother-in-law informing her of a time and date for her mammogram, nothing wrong with that I hear you say but the only problem was that she had passed away over 22 years ago, the letter was received by her father who is close on 90years old and to be honest could have done with out this, it has really upset my mother-in-law's family.

That needs to be published, I'd contact the national and local papers if I were you. Seriously, for other peoples sake.
    The legion of HSE "managers" are getting away with far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'd definitely have a word with the hospital as soon as possible to see what's that all about (send a copy, keep original letter). I'm thinking it's a clerical error, setting up an appointment for a person with a similar name to your mum's but they clicked on the wrong name. Awfully upsetting for yourselves I know but what would worry me is that the person waiting on the mammogram appointment mightn't get one as the hospital think they have sent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd imagine it was sent out from a database of women who would be that age, as they would be given mammograms as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I can appreciate that it was sent out in error but the worrying thing is on what or who's data base is her name on, after all this lady had passed away in 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I'd imagine it was sent out from a database of women who would be that age, as they would be given mammograms as standard.

That's not a good enough excuse. What percentage would you expect to have passed away by then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

If is was the case that this woman had passed away over the past twelve months I would say it was a clerical error, but this woman had died over 22 years ago, to be honest I don't know many organisations that keep the names of deceased people on a list in order to call them in for appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Ham Sambo, whilst this has no doubt caused your family undue anxiety and upset and is unacceptable, it could be and is for many a lot worse than that.

I fear that those that know best about such things would be nurses and ancillary staff within the HSE and particularly in regard to incompetency that has caused or contributed to unnecessary deaths. Others higher up the ladder have a tendency to cover it up.

We can attribute your unfortunate situation to maladministration. I just hope that in the future our society will protect and support and encourage what is now within the HSE inappropriately referred to as "whistle blowing". It would be better referred to as "Conscious Caring Professionalism".

Many who know the reality of what is going on, are too fearful of risking their jobs to do anything about it.

Me? I could write a book, but here is not the place to do so. And I have raised issues and I know I have risked my job, and p***ed a lot off, but it's worth it. I can sleep well at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    I know some of us believe that the HSE are under severe pressure at the moment but the level of total incompetence I witnessed this morning left me speechless and angry.

I am just throwing it out there to see if anybody else ever went through this with the HSE? :confused:
    I would definitely contact the National Newspapers. Awful distress for your elderly Father in Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Jeez Ham Sambo, I can't even imagine the upset this has caused your family. My deepest sympathies.

Contacting the papers would be my last resort though. Contact the hospital and follow the ladder up to get a proper explanation for this error. If you aren't given a satisfactory response then, and only after exhausting all other options, contact national press.

Advertisement