Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving back to USA

• 16-01-2014 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

We have been back here in Ireland the last 5 years.
    We are thinking of moving back to the USA.
    The economy over there seems to be doing better?

Anyone else moving back or thinking of moving back or has already moved back that would like to say hey?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would love to move even for a few years but would you need contacts to get employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well the misses and myself were over in Chicago and Minnesota seeing her family for xmas. We could not believe how many we are hiring signs we seen over there compaired to Dublin where you see none. Her sister works for Wal-Mart as a HR manager and she cant get staff. So id recommend giving it a go even taking a bad job like Wal-Mart until you get a job in your line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

jjbrien wrote: »
    Well the misses and myself were over in Chicago and Minnesota seeing her family for xmas. We could not believe how many we are hiring signs we seen over there compaired to Dublin where you see none. Her sister works for Wal-Mart as a HR manager and she cant get staff. So id recommend giving it a go even taking a bad job like Wal-Mart until you get a job in your line of work.

Isn't a basic job in Walmart $7 an hour with no health insurance? Where as a. Minimum wage job is €8.65 here in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

hfallada wrote: »
    Isn't a basic job in Walmart $7 an hour
    It is never that low is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

WikiHow wrote: »
    It is never that low is it?

I think it. Cousins wife works in one in new Jersey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Minimum wage depends on the state: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Walmart provides health insurance, but it is not great (I live right beside Walmart HQ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Heathererer

As an American looking to move to Ireland, I can tell you that getting a job over here shouldn't be too hard. The economy is bouncing back, but still isn't the best. I definitely wouldn't recommend getting a job at WalMart. Though they do have health insurance, the pay is terrible and the company is ****. I'd recommend staying away from the big chain stores as they usually only offer minimum wage to their employees (unless you're going in for a management position.) But like I said, whatever job you look into getting, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Walmart pay minimum wage.....which varies by state as Silja said (generally $7-$8).....but can't be compared directly with the minimum wage in Ireland due to the huge difference in cost of living.

The most basic example is with petrol.....right now the average national price in the US is $0.87/E0.63 per litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

You'll notice though that with minimum wage it can be swings and roundabouts.

In Washington the minimum wage is $10 and some change an hour, but they have high sales tax at 8.5% and also higher rents becuase there is more cash around, but couple it with no state income tax.

Oregon has no sales tax at all.

NYC has no sales tax on clothes under $104 but incredibly high city taxes and also NY State taxes but a lower minimum wage.

So be careful not to look at these things in isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

thecelt wrote: »
    We have been back here in Ireland the last 5 years.
    We are thinking of moving back to the USA.
    The economy over there seems to be doing better?

Anyone else moving back or thinking of moving back or has already moved back that would like to say hey?

To simplistic to look at it that way - like an American saying that economy is europe is good so ill move there

Everything varies wildly from state to state

First considerations is do you have a green card (assuming not since left 5 years ago) or are an american citizen
    Second is where do you want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Greencard is something I need to talk to the US embassy about,
    wife is american and I did not renew it when we moved back here.

Initially prob central NJ as her family is there,
    but cost of living there seems relatively high compared to other states!
    So dont know how realistic it would be in the long term!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Initially prob central NJ as her family is there,
    but cost of living there seems relatively high compared to other states!
    So dont know how realistic it would be in the long term!

Renewing is no longer an option....once you have been out of the US for an extended period, you are considered to have forfeited your green card and need to go through the process again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

Construction in New York is very busy at the moment, i had to look for a new job recently and had no problem getting interviews, was only looking for a week before I got something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Has your wife been filing her tax returns with the IRS over those five years?

Wouldnt be a prob if she doesnt owe anything (threshold is really high for expats) but the USA is the only country that requires tax returns form its expats. Worth looking into.

Advertisement