Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokey coal

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed that it's been extra smokey this year in Glasnevin. When I've been walking home in the evenings I'm coughing with the smoke coming out of the chimneys , I thought there was a ban on using smokey fuels in Dublin?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Lots more people using solid fuel stoves these days...you can burn logs and stuff like that on them which give off a good bit of smoke compared to the smokeless fuel.

Also it could have something to do with the atmospheric conditions..not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The smoke output from wood is minimal. If it's smoking bad enough to make the OP cough then it's not smokeless fuel.

Op, there's bog all enforcement on no smoke zones.

I live in one and regularly defy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

MugMugs wrote: »
    The smoke output from wood is minimal. If it's smoking bad enough to make the OP cough then it's not smokeless fuel.

Op, there's bog all enforcement on no smoke zones.

I live in one and regularly defy it.

Ya skitter , I've a good mind to piss down your chimney!!. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Seanachai wrote: »
    Ya skitter , I've a good mind to piss down your chimney!!. :P

I read an article a few months back where somebody defecated down the chimney flue of an unoccupied premises at the time.

When the owner returned they found their "surprise" on the grate :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MugMugs wrote: »
    I read an article a few months back where somebody defecated down the chimney flue of an unoccupied premises at the time.

When the owner returned they found their "surprise" on the grate :confused:

was in Scotland :D

caEpBHW.jpg

• Advertisement

There's a story from down home about a fella getting tired of his firewood being stolen so he lodged a shotgun cartridge in one of them. A couple of days later he heard a loud boom coming from a neighbours house , apparently it blew the top off of a Stanley cooker.

There's a story from down home about a fella getting tired of his firewood being stolen so he lodged a shotgun cartridge in one of them. A couple of days later he heard a loud boom coming from a neighbours house , apparently it blew the top off of a Stanley cooker.

It wouldnt be able to do that.

A shotgun shell is useless outside of a shotgun..the propellant will burn but not explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You can burn it but can't sell it within Dublin..

I think..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

not yet wrote: »

I think..!!

I believed that for years but I read the website recently and seems to be a myth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

chopper6 wrote: »
    It wouldnt be able to do that.

A shotgun shell is useless outside of a shotgun..the propellant will burn but not explode.
    Depends what way it was lodged in the wood. If he drilled a snug hole and wedged the shell in, it could conceivably contain the expanding gases just like the barrel of the shotgun does, giving way with explosive force when it reached a high enough pressure.

Edit: The primer cooking off would give a nice loud bang though, enough to give a bit of a fright!

• Advertisement

Depends what way it was lodged in the wood. If he drilled a snug hole and wedged the shell in, it could conceivably contain the expanding gases just like the barrel of the shotgun does, giving way with explosive force when it reached a high enough pressure.

Edit: The primer cooking off would give a nice loud bang though, enough to give a bit of a fright!

It might make a bang but there's no way it would "blow the top off a stanley stove"...those things are made of solid iron.

It might make a bang but there's no way it would "blow the top off a stanley stove"...those things are made of solid iron.

It prob made the lid jump a bit , the story might have been embellished before it got to me.

It prob made the lid jump a bit , the story might have been embellished before it got to me.

They dont have lids though...the whole lot is cast from iron except the door which locks at the front.

The story wasnt so much embellished as just made up :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

not yet wrote: »

I think..!!
    Burning it has been illegal since 2012. Link.

They dont have lids though...the whole lot is cast from iron except the door which locks at the front.

The story wasnt so much embellished as just made up :)

Did the old Stanleys not have round lids that you could remove from the loading door?. Anyway , I wouldn't like to see the smokey fuel ban being flouted like the laws about cleaning up after your dog [EMAIL="s@*ts"]s@*ts[/EMAIL] on the footpath.

Must say it was very smokey round Finglas and Glasnevin last night...fairly catch-in-the-throat sort of smoke like we used to have in the 1980's before the ban.

Dunno if people are back using bituminous coal but as smokeless stuff is 12 quid for 20kg it wouldnt surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Must say it was very smokey round Finglas and Glasnevin last night...fairly catch-in-the-throat sort of smoke like we used to have in the 1980's before the ban.

Dunno if people are back using bituminous coal but as smokeless stuff is 12 quid for 20kg it wouldnt surprise me at all.
    Is that in a garage? I see it at 19 for 40 in my hardware store

Is that in a garage? I see it at 19 for 40 in my hardware store

It was actually in a local Centra so its prolly over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

It was actually in a local Centra so its prolly over the top.

Right, paying for actually being able to lift the bag. 40kg dead weight in a dirty bag is horrible to manage.

Advertisement