Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more roads moaning. or am I getting ahead of myself

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

pow wow wrote: »
    Do the plans to 'fix' the problem on Washington Street extend down to Square Deal? Pulling out of Little Hanover Street with cars parked either side is a daily exercise in getting my face blown off by cars coming up Washington Street who don't realise you can't see anything when coming out at that junction. Visibility was bad before but it's non-existent now.

Pulling out by the bailey is stupid too. Before you could turn into the right hand lane and filter into traffic. Now you have nowhere to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

That plus crap weather/roads and traffic is about as friendly towards motorbikes and scooters as it is towards bicycles. There was a time most lads bought a motorbike if they couldn't afford a car.

Used to be the case a few years ago around here when the moped category was given with the car. Lads used have mopeds to get to and from school/gym/work.

All gone now along with boy racers. Not a moped in sight. Looked dead handy. Could be parked anywhere and you could carry bags with books etc. And nip through traffic. They can also take the hills with more ease than bikes.
    Always jealous when I am abroad and see the locals popping around the place on mopeds.

Im in the process of getting a licence for mopeds and motorbikes. Spent €80 so far and don't even have the licence yet.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Seems a balls alright, so many hoops to jump through in order to drive something simpler than a lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Days 298 wrote: »
    Im in the process of getting a licence for mopeds and motorbikes. Spent €80 so far and don't even have the licence yet.......

I don't want to say it'll be no use, but be aware that a lot of Cork streets are too narrow to 'filter' between lanes going in the same direction, and there's often a solid white line in the center that will often make filtering between lanes illegal. My bike probably isn't the best example because it's a sports bike, but I often find myself stuck in traffic, overheating, when in the city center.

I don't want to say it'll be no use, but be aware that a lot of Cork streets are too narrow to 'filter' between lanes going in the same direction, and there's often a solid white line in the center that will often make filtering between lanes illegal. My bike probably isn't the best example because it's a sports bike, but I often find myself stuck in traffic, overheating, when in the city center.

Ah stop there's enough space. Its rare enough you end up struck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

More and more I'm really hating Cork City Council.

This time they are now widening the path at the end of South Main Street where it meets the bottom of Barrack Street. They are getting rid of the 2 lanes and replacing it with 1.

Why are they doing this ? The better question is why they are spending my tax Euros on this pointless exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can still filter legally on a solid single white line, as long as you have room to pass without crossing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Would this be right place to mention that pet-hate of mine... the way the pedestrian plaza that is now on Coal Quay becomes a car park at the weekends (possibly weeknights too?)

It just makes a complete mess of the area. It also makes it dangerous if you are mixing pedestrians and cars.

What makes it more baffling is that it is right outside the Garda Station there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kcb wrote: »
    Would this be right place to mention that pet-hate of mine... the way the pedestrian plaza that is now on Coal Quay becomes a car park at the weekends (possibly weeknights too?)

It just makes a complete mess of the area. It also makes it dangerous if you are mixing pedestrians and cars.

What makes it more baffling is that it is right outside the Garda Station there!

If I could thank that post 100 times I would.
    It was the same in Emmett place but they finally put up bollards there.
    I've written to the council about this but got no reply.
    I've often counted 40+ cars there on a Sunday morning.
    There's a lot of parking ticket revenue being missed out on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

There should be barriers put on the coal quay area like the ones which rise out of the ground so when the traders are finished,barriers up and no parking.Another area I was driving yesterday which needs to be sorted imo is the lower road from the church down past the train station,the lanes are too narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Is Western Road being made 1 lane now also?

They've made a dog's dinner of Pope's quay, there are regularly traffic queues at 6.30am since they've cut it down to one lane

ofcork wrote: »
    There should be barriers put on the coal quay area like the ones which rise out of the ground so when the traders are finished,barriers up and no parking.Another area I was driving yesterday which needs to be sorted imo is the lower road from the church down past the train station,the lanes are too narrow.

Barriers are fine but surely it's up to the authorities to clearly state that you cannot park on the plaza and just dole out a load of tickets from then on.

It's frustrating when you see cars parked like this (also happens on the paved area outside courthouse) while you are diligently driving around looking for a legal space to park (and then pay for that space!).

I assume the people parked on the plazas do not actually pay anything either.

It's frightening the amount of incompetence within the councils/corporations. The place would be run better using polls on a forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

George Hook was on yesterday about the utter joke that are parking discs, hard to find places that sell them and a baffling system to grasp for people unfamiliar with the city. Should be relegated to the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

George Hook was on yesterday about the utter joke that are parking discs, hard to find places that sell them and a baffling system to grasp for people unfamiliar with the city. Should be relegated to the dark ages.
    Parked out by College of Comm the last day thinking there might actually be free parking there - firstly - that was a foolish notion on my part but got out, saw all the parking discs on the cars and figured I was a good 10min return journey from a place that would sell them....absolute joke, hopped back in and went to Merchant St. shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Ah stop there's enough space. Its rare enough you end up struck

There's plenty of places where there's not much room. Now that there's 4 lanes in places in Mahon there's often no room between cars there. In town in places like Lavitts Quay there's not much room either; if there's a truck or something, forget about it. In other places it doesn't take a driver being too far to the left/right to make it impossible to filter too; I swear sometimes they do it on purpose. :)

My bike's not that big and I do make nice progress through traffic, but it's not magically going to get me through every jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Is Western Road being made 1 lane now also?
    it looks like it - I'd guess the big wide cycle lane will continue out to UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I wish they'd repair the roads we have left....I've seen so many cars almost falling down one of the two craters on the road over the South Link - after St. Finbarrs hospital, on the way into town.
    Bad enough during the day, but at night you've not a chance of avoiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think what they are doing to the city is a joke. City centre retailers are already struggling now the city planners are forcing people to go shop in places like mahon because you cant bring your car to town. These businesses pay the highest rent and rates in the city they deserve better.
    what is the obsession with widening footpaths?they are like 10ft wide on one side of washington st totally unnecessary. They made cycle lanes so wide you can literally drive a car down them.
    taxi federation and gaurds are having war with the council over the removal of the taxi ranks on washington st. Instead of been able to catch a car on washington st you now have to go into patrick st or the grand parade adding to the already drunk and messy crowds which the gaurds cant handle.
    I mean they couldn't of made a bigger mess of it if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

rob316 wrote: »
    I think what they are doing to the city is a joke. City centre retailers are already struggling now the city planners are forcing people to go shop in places like mahon because you cant bring your car to town. These businesses pay the highest rent and rates in the city they deserve better.
    what is the obsession with widening footpaths?they are like 10ft wide on one side of washington st totally unnecessary. They made cycle lanes so wide you can literally drive a car down them.
    taxi federation and gaurds are having war with the council over the removal of the taxi ranks on washington st. Instead of been able to catch a car on washington st you now have to go into patrick st or the grand parade adding to the already drunk and messy crowds which the gaurds cant handle.
    I mean they couldn't of made a bigger mess of it if they tried.

They're talking about reducing the size of the footpaths now on Washington street.

mordeith wrote: »
    They're talking about reducing the size of the footpaths now on Washington street.

Ya they are looking at the cost of reversing the works done. I spoke to a solicitor in the area recently there is a huge number of complaints from businesses. It is a serious health and safety issue not just affecting business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

D'Agger wrote: »
    Parked out by College of Comm the last day thinking there might actually be free parking there - firstly - that was a foolish notion on my part but got out, saw all the parking discs on the cars and figured I was a good 10min return journey from a place that would sell them....absolute joke, hopped back in and went to Merchant St. shopping centre

Fitzpatrick's on Pembroke Street sell them, or at least they used to. The College of Commerce is hardly "out" though, it's basically 3 streets over from Pana. Disc parking extends way, way further out from there.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Ya they are looking at the cost of reversing the works done. I spoke to a solicitor in the area recently there is a huge number of complaints from businesses. It is a serious health and safety issue not just affecting business.

You're joking! How much is that going to cost us in total?

Did the businesses complain during the planning and consultation phase? If so were they ignored? Important questions these, imho.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Don't worry, they will be cancelling the annual Chamber banquet in the City hall this year to pay for it !

rovoagho wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick's on Pembroke Street sell them, or at least they used to. The College of Commerce is hardly "out" though, it's basically 3 streets over from Pana. Disc parking extends way, way further out from there.

Did the businesses complain during the planning and consultation phase? If so were they ignored? Important questions these, imho.
    You're misconstruing my use of the word 'out' - I mean it as 'around there by' just my Kerry mannerism. I'm aware it extends further but a point should be made of using parking meters or making discs more readily available - I say this as somebody living in Cork a good few years but somebody who wouldn't know where to go to get a disc.

Even a site/app showing where free parking is available or where discs could be purchased would go a long way. Overall I think Cork could be made much, much easier to get around & park in than what it is if the council put some energy into it.

That's absolutely ridiculous about the Washington St. footpath - wtf like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

D'Agger wrote: »
    You're misconstruing my use of the word 'out' - I mean it as 'around there by' just my Kerry mannerism. I'm aware it extends further but a point should be made of using parking meters or making discs more readily available - I say this as somebody living in Cork a good few years but somebody who wouldn't know where to go to get a disc.

Even a site/app showing where free parking is available or where discs could be purchased would go a long way.

I have a ParkMagic disc on the car, don't think I've ever used it in th last 3 years but it might be worth a shot if you actually intend to use those spaces.
    https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/index.html

Personally I always pay extra to park in the Q-Park or whatever.
    Too many scobes around the city kicking off wing mirrors etc.

Overall I think Cork could be made much, much easier to get around & park in than what it is if the council put some energy into it.

That's absolutely ridiculous about the Washington St. footpath - wtf like!

Yes, agree on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Ah, The Cork Great Footpath Widening Scheme of 2013/2014.

Sure to go down in the anals of history, akin to the likes of Haussmann's renovation of Paris.

Is there really a need for all the work that going on all over the city centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ah, The Cork Great Footpath Widening Scheme of 2013/2014.

Sure to go down in the anals of history?

Is is that much of a pain in the… ?

Id be happier if the money went into fixing derelict buildings and empty retail units around the city that are a constant eyesore to the landscape. Landlords aren't doing anything so the corporation should.

The road situation is a case of fixing something that isn't broken. North Main St was fine the way it was, 2 lanes on south gate bridge was fine. Just trying to look busy is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Walked down Georges Quay this morning and it looks like they're digging up the bus lane. I presume this is to introduce another cycle lane which will result in Georges Quay being reduced to only 1 lane for traffic.

All these changes will result in Cork City traffic grinding to a standstill.

Walked down Georges Quay this morning and it looks like they're digging up the bus lane. I presume this is to introduce another cycle lane which will result in Georges Quay being reduced to only 1 lane for traffic.

All these changes will result in Cork City traffic grinding to a standstill.

Back to my first point. If the city was a balls to go through. A tolled tunnel wouldn't look so bad

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If the city was a balls to go through.

There's no 'if' about it - Cork City is a nightmare to navigate around

Advertisement