Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Hotels?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to treat the parents to a nice weekend in Galway. Can anyone suggest a nice, 4 star ish, hotel? Price range is up to about €200 for the night. My parents know Galway and don't want too hectoc a night so somewhere quiet ish suits. Recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

1. House hotel, boutique hotel in city centre near the shops/restaurants

2. G Hotel, fancier and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. about a mile from city center

3. Salthill hotel, on the prom, nice inside about 4 miles from city

4. Raddison, nice place, bit more of business hotel, close to city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Ardilaun Hotel, Taylor's Hill. Very quiet as it's on its own grounds. Food is good and it's a great location, too.

The Twelve in Barna is lovely, too. I love their restaurant (West). They do several packages which might suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Ardilaun Hotel, Taylor's Hill. Very quiet as it's on its own grounds. Food is good and it's a great location, too.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Park House - right in town but away from the "party " end of town. Just up from Eyre Square.

Suitable for all ages - fabulous reputation - been around for decades - food great, great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ardilaun Hotel, Taylor's Hill. ... and it's a great location, too.

Great for what?

Sleeping yup, I get that. Visiting friends in Taylors Hill, yup. Pitch and Putt, yup. Courses at Croi Nua, yup.

Other than that????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

the Meyrick (formerly Great Southern) - olde style!!
    http://www.hotelmeyrick.ie/

Walk right out onto Eyre Square, totally central.
    Booked the parents in there for a few nights 2 years ago - they loved it.
    They went back and stayed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ardilaun is good for parents, it's in a quite place but still close to town and Salthill (there is a bus, walking it's about 25 min from cc).
    There is a pool for a morning swim and a restaurant for a late meal/drink.

The Twelve is good too as it's in Barna and walking everywhere, and still a quick drive into town. Barna has good restaurants and a couple pubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Great for what?

Sleeping yup, I get that. Visiting friends in Taylors Hill, yup. Pitch and Putt, yup. Courses at Croi Nua, yup.

Other than that????

Ardilaun is a lovely relaxing quiet hotel. Excellent food. Homely feel. Nice pool too. Great for weddings.
    Short walk and you are on the Salthill promenade without having to stay on the prom.
    I think its the hotel that 'Galway' people would stay at if they needed to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Only stayed there once but the Ardilaun is a gem. Excellent staff and lovely hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Great for what?

Other than that????
    Ardilaun is a lovely relaxing quiet hotel. Excellent food. Homely feel. Nice pool too. Great for weddings.
    Short walk and you are on the Salthill promenade without having to stay on the prom.

This!

Just because it wouldn't suit Mrs O'B doesn't mean it's no good. I can only guess at the age of the OP's parents, but if they have a child that can afford to send them to a hotel for a treat, they are more than likely of an age group that would appreciate the Ardilaun for what it is, a lovely quiet and relaxing hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. If I was given the choice of any hotel in the city for free I would pick The Ardilaun. They allow pets as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

They allow pets as well.

and Fianna Fail Politicians;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

+ 2 for the Ardilaun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

'The Park House Hotel' on Forster street,
    Less than two minutes from the train station and is actually were Galway people stay, older people that is, by the way good for you for treating your mum and dad,

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Hey lads, just back from work and thank ye so much for all the replies! Just want to something nice for all the stuff they did to help me get my degree. Checking them all out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A 25 minute walk to town - if you're young and fit. Uphill on the way back. Can't see too many parents doing that, or the uphill walk back from the Prom either.

You're right that it is the hotel which 'Galway' people would stay in (and that some Salthill refugees did, recently). And it's great for having drink .. err, think-ins.

I agree it's a lovely hotel.

But not one I would suggest to visitors who want to see Galway, rather than just seeing a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Personally I think it's vital to be in town, able to drop bags back to hotel and out again.

If they want elegant then The Merrick. A pool then Radisson

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Hey I'm gonna go with Park House I think :) Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

scart wrote: »
    and Fianna Fail Politicians;)

I allow Fine Gael politicians cos they spend money. Doesn't necessarily mean I vote for them.

KatyBob wrote: »

I would eat in Park House but I would never stay there. I know its close to town but it's not a nice setting. Long walk to the Prom too.

You should consider the Ardilaun, if they are not walkers they can get an easy taxi to Shop Street or Eyre Sq.

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    the Meyrick (formerly Great Southern) - olde style!!
    http://www.hotelmeyrick.ie/

Walk right out onto Eyre Square, totally central.
    Booked the parents in there for a few nights 2 years ago - they loved it.
    They went back and stayed again.

nice except for the deliveries in the morning are very loud, and the train station at the back of the hotel....

Great for what?

Other than that????

swimming, spa, live entertainment, gardens, old world style, warm/cosy bar,
    reputation.

A 25 minute walk to town - if you're young and fit. Uphill on the way back. Can't see too many parents doing that, or the uphill walk back from the Prom either.

You're right that it is the hotel which 'Galway' people would stay in (and that some Salthill refugees did, recently). And it's great for having drink .. err, think-ins.

I agree it's a lovely hotel.

But not one I would suggest to visitors who want to see Galway, rather than just seeing a hotel.

i think you are under the impression that in order to be fit, you must be young....next time you are our on your walk/jog/run - have a look around - there are plenty of fit older people who probably would put younger people to shame walk up the "not very steep incline" to the Ardilaun hotel - not a problem for healthy young OR old people.....of course if you are massively overweight or unhealthy you might find it a bit of a struggle...and make an issue of it.... ;)

KatyBob wrote: »

good choice Katybob - its a lovely old traditional hotel, great service, great reputation and right in the city - perfect for strolling around the town.

Either this or the Ardilaun would be perfect for your parents.

Birroc wrote: »
    I would eat in Park House but I would never stay there. I know its close to town but it's not a nice setting. Long walk to the Prom too.

You should consider the Ardilaun, if they are not walkers they can get an easy taxi to Shop Street or Eyre Sq.

very easy to get a cab to Salthill from Park House - or the bus to Salthill is about a thirty second walk......it's perfect.

(same as getting a cab into town from the ardilaun). LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

fierce proud of our hotels in galway we are :D

i think you are under the impression that in order to be fit, you must be young....next time you are our on your walk/jog/run - have a look around - there are plenty of fit older people who probably would put younger people to shame walk up the "not very steep incline" to the Ardilaun hotel - not a problem for healthy young OR old people.....of course if you are massively overweight or unhealthy you might find it a bit of a struggle...and make an issue of it.... ;)

I would say the Ardilaun is at least 30-50m above sea level...:D

Birroc wrote: »
    I would say the Ardilaun is at least 30-50m above sea level...:D

a lovely walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

a bit late to this thread but I just wanted to give a plus one to the twelve. stay there every time I am over in Galway, really nice touches throughout the hotel and in your room, excellent service from all the staff and the pizza they do is yum!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've had older relatives stay in a few places. The Park was grand but nothing 'special' at all in terms of a treat. There and the Meryck seem to be a bit noisier due to location. They liked The House for how central it was. Ardaun is lovely if you are spending some time IN the hotel itself. Only about 8 quid in a cab if the nice walk turns soggy.
    But Salthill won out for my last visitors. Location location location, plus it used to be their holiday destination as kids so they really felt relaxed and thought the hotel was great.

Advertisement