Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Hotels?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Yeah I think if you want to treat people, Salthill is the place to go. The city hotels are a bit too 'functional' and 'busy' for my liking. If location to shops and pubs is all important, fair enough, maybe.
    For me, best hotel in Salthill or close enough is the Ardilaun. Without a doubt.
    Take a left out of Ardilaun, down Threadneedle Road, onto Blackrock diving board, back to Seapoint and short-cut back to Ardilaun via the school area - lovely lovely walk, even for unfit people :)

Park House or the House? Naw, not for me, forgettable places. If I was forced into town, the Radisson for style and good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ardilaun would be my recommendation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'm a "Galway People", grew up all my life near the Ardilaun and I just can't believe the love in here for it. The food is consistent i.e. consistently awful. I've heard some suggest that they get away with it because it's owned by a lovely family. Having said that the very worst meal I ate there was at the wedding of a cousin of the owners.

The 12 in Barna is good. No one has mentioned the Westwood - uninspiring location but very good. The House might be a bit young. It's full of hen parties at the weekend!

To be honest there really isn't any stand out hotel in Galway. I'd probably choose the Radisson because of its usual high standards but it's pretty characterless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I'm a "Galway People", grew up all my life near the Ardilaun and I just can't believe the love in here for it. The food is consistent i.e. consistently awful. I've heard some suggest that they get away with it because it's owned by a lovely family. Having said that the very worst meal I ate there was at the wedding of a cousin of the owners.

Interestingly the best wedding meal I ever had was at the Ardilaun a good few years ago. Now weddings meals are usually rubbish carvery slops for the masses but it still stood out.
    The Westwood food is generally poor in my opinion but I do like the hotel otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Birroc wrote: »
    Interestingly the best wedding meal I ever had was at the Ardilaun a good few years ago. Now weddings meals are usually rubbish carvery slops for the masses but it still stood out.
    The Westwood food is generally poor in my opinion but I do like the hotel otherwise.

I still remember the last wedding meal I had there. I went in to the function room with a friend and sat with our pints to have a quiet chat. We were the only people there. The beef arrived out to be put in the Bain Maries. It was unwrapped from cling film a sweaty mess and put in the Bain Marie's to keep warm. My friend and I times it ~ an hour and a half later the main course was served. Yu can imagine what it was like. An almost surreal dining experience!

The weird thing is, I have had decent enough food at a wedding there as well. It's an odd place. I could never recommend it to anyone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I still remember the last wedding meal I had there. I went in to the function room with a friend and sat with our pints to have a quiet chat. We were the only people there. The beef arrived out to be put in the Bain Maries. It was unwrapped from cling film a sweaty mess and put in the Bain Marie's to keep warm. My friend and I times it ~ an hour and a half later the main course was served. Yu can imagine what it was like. An almost surreal dining experience!

Are ye still together?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

What's the verdict on the harbour hotel. Have stayed there on two occasions and found it ok. Ideal location but the road outside is a bit busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    What's the verdict on the harbour hotel. Have stayed there on two occasions and found it ok. Ideal location but the road outside is a bit busy

Ideal location if you like heaps of coal and dockers ;)

It's a functional city centre hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's nice, I've been for dinners and drinks. It's 2 mins walk to shop street and easily accessible for visitors driving from other cities. Includes parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've had good and bad experiences there. Not going to get into it but hiring practices were up for some scrutiny a while back. A google should help.
    The bad experiences were pretty bad (customer service related) but the good ones (customer service related too!) were more recent so there's hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it's grand if you are looking for a value hotel in the town - but not for a luxury experience. Handy for shopping and heading into town at night. No frills

Advertisement