Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando advice please

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭

Heading to Orlando for two weeks in early May with my wife and 3.5 yr old. My daughter is quite tall and easily mistaken for a school going child so we feel she isn't too young to enjoy a lot of the attractions. Looking for some recommendations for accomodation, car hire (a neccessity I believe) and what are the best parks and ticket deals to get for us in advance. I want to be able to have a go on different rides as i'm a big kid too but don't want to waste time on a park not suited to a younger kid. Also is it worth spending a few days away from Orlando or is there plenty to occupy us for a fortnight? I believe Miami is quite expensive and not really suited for us as a family. thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

sweetie wrote: »
    Heading to Orlando for two weeks in early May with my wife and 3.5 yr old. My daughter is quite tall and easily mistaken for a school going child so we feel she isn't too young to enjoy a lot of the attractions. Looking for some recommendations for accomodation, car hire (a neccessity I believe) and what are the best parks and ticket deals to get for us in advance. I want to be able to have a go on different rides as i'm a big kid too but don't want to waste time on a park not suited to a younger kid. Also is it worth spending a few days away from Orlando or is there plenty to occupy us for a fortnight? I believe Miami is quite expensive and not really suited for us as a family. thanks in advance folks.

Cannot recommend Orlando enough! was there fir a week and sorry i didn't stay longer.

There's a load of threads about your very question on boards already, so you'll find all your answers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The Disney site will tell you the height restrictions that apply to their attractions so you will be able check that out in advance, but there will still be plenty for her. There won't be as much for her at Universal.
    If it were me I'd look at hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd in Lake Buena Vista, they are within walking distance of Downtown Disney & many if not all have free regular (every 30mins) Disney bus transportation to/from all the Disney parks.

Don't overbuy tickets, work out how many park days you will have & buy what you need
    http://www.undercovertourist.com/

http://www.attractionticketsdirect.ie/?_$ja=kw:attraction+tickets+direct|cgn:Brand_Exact|cgid:3611209211|tsid:29786|cn:ATD+IE+-+Brand|cid:77964131|lid:4310660072|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:34724819291|dvc:c|adp:1t2&gclid=COLIo83bg7wCFbE92wodiQgAzw

All the parks will allow you to do a child swop so you can ride, then swop the child over and then your wife can ride

Recommend these guys for car hire, all your insurance is included
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/car_hire.aspx
    Used them a few times now, never any problems

Miami is +4hrs drive, wouldn't bother this time round with the little one, plenty to do in Orlando

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Recommend these guys for car hire, all your insurance is included
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/car_hire.aspx
    Used them a few times now, never any problems

They are just a broker, they don't rent cars, they just sell you a package from one of the big rental crowds.

You can also compare against these companies who do the same thing (Zero Excess)

http://www.autoeurope.ie
    http://www.carhire3000.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 44 windy1

Been ther 3 times wth kids from1 to 30 and all had the time of their life. My tip would be to google The Dibb.co.uk and join the forums there, there are plenty of Irish on the site and its dedicated to Disnrey and orlando. Any qustions you have regarding ANYTHING orlando will get an answer.Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

thanks for the links above my wife has found them very helpful and we are nearly sorted.
    There is as much organising on this trip as for our wedding! Anyone try the dining plans or just pay as you go? It's so complex! I'd rather not do the dining plan but concerned about the cost/value otherwise and the fact the nice restaurants have to be booked in advance is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 windy1

thanks for the links above my wife has found them very helpful and we are nearly sorted.
    There is as much organising on this trip as for our wedding! Anyone try the dining plans or just pay as you go? It's so complex! I'd rather not do the dining plan but concerned about the cost/value otherwise and the fact the nice restaurants have to be booked in advance is crazy.

it will all be easy when you get there....relax and enjoy

If you are talking about the Disney Dining plan, you can only get that if staying onsite in a Disney resort hotel, the full dining plan is only available if staying in a delux Disney resort, quick service dining plan is available at the moderate & value resorts. Where did you decide to stay?

You can still reserve a table at a Disney resort or Downtown Disney restaurant if you wish and pay as you go & you pay a premium, generally speaking though eating out is good value & the portions tend to be large.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Jumping on this thread too if you don't mind. We go early May as well, 3 of us. We have the dining plan, but only because it came free with the package we booked. I've been informed by a few workmates that it is not value for money-just useful if you are trying to budget

Jumping on this thread too if you don't mind. We go early May as well, 3 of us. We have the dining plan, but only because it came free with the package we booked. I've been informed by a few workmates that it is not value for money-just useful if you are trying to budget

Nothing is really FREE when it comes to Disney but it's included in what you have paid, so enjoy, Disney usually (in the past) offer Free Dining Plan from time to time usually for the slower months but rumour has it that they may discontinue doing this & free DDP will be no more after this year

Even with the DDP, I'd advise making dinner reservations ahead of time, we had a reservation last October for dinner at Rainforest Café, no reservation = 2hr50min wait

As both you & the OP are travelling in May, are you aware of the new fast pass system, Fast Pass Plus?

http://blog.undercovertourist.com/2014/01/fastpass-plus-opens-magic-kingdom/

Just to add, paying for the DDP I wouldn't consider good value for money but if staying onsite and getting it for free, fair enough

I get ya-we have paid dearly for it, but thankfully booked long ago so it's paid for. Got my letter about fast pass today, and had magic bands done a few weeks ago, but they have disappeared as I changed my booking. Changed it again on Monday so have to wait 72 hours before ringing to get bands reactivated.

We are staying onsite, but on the quick service plan, so have only made one reservation. Also staying in universal, so will start looking around for nice places to eat soon.

• Advertisement

Also staying in universal, so will start looking around for nice places to eat soon.

Jaysus, no recession in your house :p

If you are staying in a Universal Hotel other than Cabana Bay, you will also get early park entry & free front of line pass's so no Q's

Hahaha, you'd think that!! 5 years of saving. We aren't in Cabana, in the next lowest priced one-booked through their own website and got 35% off. Figured we'll never be able to afford it again, so may splash out-tent in the garden from now on

Well enjoy, best advice I'd give is get up & go to the parks early, use the early entry at Universal / IOA & the Extra Magic Hours at Disney, especially the morning ones before the great un-washed (like us) pile in :)

Thanks, that's the plans-though I have never flown long haul before so who knows if I'll be up early for anything. I think having a 9 year old share a room with us will help. Any recommendations for food? Around disney or universal?

Thanks, that's the plans-though I have never flown long haul before so who knows if I'll be up early for anything. I think having a 9 year old share a room with us will help. Any recommendations for food? Around disney or universal?

You will be up at 'Stupid O Clock' the first morning because of the time difference so may as well head to a park, wrap it up in the afternoon back to hotel for a swim / chill, dinner & an early night as the tiredness catch's up

The nine year old would probably enjoy Rainforest Café & T-Rex , Bongo's is a Cuban restaurant that we enjoyed a couple of really nice meals, all at DTD

Only places I have eaten at Universal is Hard Rock Café & Nascar, both were grand...you will have a longin' for bacon & cabbage by the end of week 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This is a good site for people going to/staying at Universal

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/universal/

Advertisement