Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kickass Torrents & Eircom. (MOD: No Posting torrent site links!)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SmurfX wrote: »
    What of the Irish times report and the Voadfone blocked access message? All the ISPs bar one hardly dropped their pants in unison from corporate pressure.

They're just re-using the same message from the Pirate Bay block, probably just being lazy. But there was no new court order issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Vicxas wrote: »
    Kickass now blocked on Vodafone DSL.

Can we discuss proxies or is that not allowed?
    im on vodafone
    i found a proxy by using google.
    only problem is when i hit download i get directed to a torrent cache page and get the torrent numerous times
    anyway around this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

very easy to get around anyway its not the pirates they are out to stop they know they cant stop that , they just want to stop the mass torrenting that is widespread , when ppl see this website is blocked come up you would be surprised how many people will just accept defeat and say oh well il just have to pay for retail version , those are they people are are out to stop ,

The difference is Eircom will block sites voluntarily upon request from whatever the Irish MPAA Is called. We seen this with TPB months before a court order. One of the only ISPs to do so worldwide without an legal mandate.

UPC will only do so upon court request. I feel for anybody who has no choice besides eircom in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eagle has landed

it was always coming anyway and anbody who thinks different is deluded , movie and music companies are losing millions not that i care as its there own fault for ripping off the consumer for years over charging for the products or restricting some aspects , id rather all isp blocked whatever they have to block the ppl who really want to get stuff from torrents will still get it through vpn or proxy means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

it was always coming anyway and anbody who thinks different is deluded , movie and music companies are losing millions not that i care as its there own fault for ripping off the consumer for years over charging for the products or restricting some aspects , id rather all isp blocked whatever they have to block the ppl who really want to get stuff from torrents will still get it through vpn or proxy means

Are you suggesting that if the music companies had been charging realistic prices for the previous 40-50 years that when illegal downloading came along, people would have said "oh, thats wrong, I can buy that album for 5 quid in the shops"?

not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

movie companys made record profits last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

donegal. wrote: »
    movie companys made record profits every year.

but according to their accountants the make huge losses on a weekly basis.

the only cinema magic that comes from hollywood comes from the ledgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Regardless of what measures are put in place I can never see piracy being stopped in any meaningful way.

You could shut down the Internet and you wouldn't stop piracy. Sneakernets would develop quickly as computer users swap the contents of their 2, 3 and 4 TB hard drives.

What I'd like to know is what level of bureaucracy must there be going on if it takes 4-5 years to get two torrent sites blocked? What stands in the way of the music industry and whoever else coming in and insisting on a blanket ban of sites rather than just the most popular one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blocked on o2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donkeyradish

Well it turns out some people have been using "torrents" to download copyrighted material, and at the same time clogging up all the bandwidth for honest law abiding citizens like most of us.

Well done eircom for taking a long overdue stance on digital piracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Well it turns out some people have been using "torrents" to download copyrighted material, and at the same time clogging up all the bandwidth for honest law abiding citizens like most of us.

Yay, the media industry has been saved, nobody will pirate stuff again, they've fixed it, nobodies smart enough to Google how to get round it.

You do know they only block access to the website, the torrents still download fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

GET OUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

You're pretty naive if you think Eircom did this as a service to their customers and torrents don't necessarily have to be of copyrighted material either.

This country is legislated to death as it is, the last thing we as a nation need in this nanny state of hours is the likes of telcos being put in a position of deciding what's suitable material for the Irish public to access. Maybe xtravision and the local priest should be put in a position to vet all dvd's coming in to the Country too for good measure, just to make sure all of us debauched heathens are kept on the right path! And why not have Easons decide which Sunday Papers we should be allowed access to while we're at it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Don't fall off that horse of yours, looks like a long way down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Well it turns out some people have been using "Google" to download copyrighted material, and at the same time clogging up all the bandwidth for honest law abiding citizens like most of us.

Yep I agree, Google should be censored like the pirate bay

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Noticed any big improvement in your Internet Download speeds since Eircom took this action?

Didn't think so........

I like the idea that ISPs will try to discourage BitTorrent use on the grounds that it causes congestion. If you're paying for 70/20 unlimited, say, and you want to run that connection flat out 24/7, that is within your right to do so. If that causes congestion, Eircom should either upgrade their infrastructure or stop offering such packages to the public.

"Please buy our top e-fibre package but please please please don't use it to it's potential!" :D

briany wrote: »
    I like the idea that ISPs will try to discourage BitTorrent use on the grounds that it causes congestion. If you're paying for 70/20 unlimited, say, and you want to run that connection flat out 24/7, that is within your right to do so. If that causes congestion, Eircom should either upgrade their infrastructure or stop offering such packages to the public.

"Please buy our top e-fibre package but please please please don't use it to it's potential!" :D

But you don't pay for 70/20 unlimited, you pay for a share of 70/20 unlimited at "X" contention ratio and are also limited by their acceptable usage policy. Residential broadband is a shared resource, much like the mains water coming into your home, if everyone turned on the tap together it would trickle out. Uncontended broadband is very expensive, over €100 per month for 1mbit.

people should be on private torrent sites any way like Ip torrents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

But you don't pay for 70/20 unlimited, you pay for a share of 70/20 unlimited at "X" contention ratio and are also limited by their acceptable usage policy. Residential broadband is a shared resource, much like the mains water coming into your home, if everyone turned on the tap together it would trickle out. Uncontended broadband is very expensive, over €100 per month for 1mbit.

Well that's completely wrong. UPC's tv adverts say that their service is completely uncongested. Although, AFAIK, its got a 17:1 contention ratio. Not sure of the fixed line fibre contention but I'm sure I heard that yes, it is completely uncontended.

pajopearl wrote: »
    Well that's completely wrong. UPC's tv adverts say that their service is completely uncongested. Although, AFAIK, its got a 17:1 contention ratio. Not sure of the fixed line fibre contention but I'm sure I heard that yes, it is completely uncontended.

Uncongested does not mean uncontended, it's a marketing term. You are limited by the backhaul to the cabinet. Eircom call theirs uncongested too, but it doesn't mean you have a 1:1 connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

naughto wrote: »
    people should be on private torrent sites any way like Ip torrents

But how do you get access?

you need an invite. i have some but i only give them to people i no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I am having great fun thinking of analogies for the efforts of Eircom/irish Gov to restrict/inhibit their users.

"like trying to dam a river with a thimble"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

naughto wrote: »
    you need an invite. i have some but i only give them to people i no

Is that a no? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Yep private torrent sites + seedboxes are the way to go. You have to pay for something like a seedbox but if its shared among friends its not much and its a dam good service.

token56 wrote: »
    Yep private torrent sites + seedboxes are the way to go. You have to pay for something like a seedbox but if its shared among friends its not much and its a dam good service.
    yep agree 100% had a seed box for 6months my ratio is trought the roof with it,well worth the money

any one looking fora new tv programme True Detective you will find it on kickass torrent,the pirate bay the internet

Usenet is miles better, is a private 1:1 connection and has software to completely automate everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Usenet is miles better, is a private 1:1 connection and has software to completely automate everything

Had usenet for a good while and it was really fantastic but nzb closing down was a big loss and found it difficult to find a decent alternative.

We have some very good torrent trackers which actually automate the likes of fetching tv shows and movies. The hosting service we use is also brilliant, it never fails to max out my connection, as good as I could get back when using usenet. We can also stream directly from the server so dont even have to store the files locally if we dont want to.

• Advertisement

Had usenet for a good while and it was really fantastic but nzb closing down was a big loss and found it difficult to find a decent alternative.

We have some very good torrent trackers which actually automate the likes of fetching tv shows and movies. The hosting service we use is also brilliant, it never fails to max out my connection, as good as I could get back when using usenet. We can also stream directly from the server so dont even have to store the files locally if we dont want to.

Usenet is, I'm sure, better than torrenting in the speed and efficiency by which it can deliver content. The big drawback seems like, as you say, if a popular Usenet service goes down, it's actually quite a blow. Torrents, not so much, particularly since public sites are indexing much of the same content.

It dispersed to thousands of small private indexes, having a big single site made it a huge target.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Guys this isn't the place to start trying to swap invites to private torrent sites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

agggggggggggggg kickass.to blocked on Vodafone also...Oh noes

agggggggggggggg kickass.to blocked on Vodafone also...Oh noes
    use a proxy, working fine for me on vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

it took all of a few clicks to get around, Its having to explain how to use a different link to get greys anatomy and revenge to the wife that's the problem.

Bookmark the page that's what I did

Only problem with some of these proxies is that certain features of the websites won't work like a snippet of the comments doesn't appear if you hover over the corresponding button, or you can't order by seeds, size, date etc.

briany wrote: »
    Only problem with some of these proxies is that certain features of the websites won't work like a snippet of the comments doesn't appear if you hover over the corresponding button, or you can't order by seeds, size, date etc.

I noticed the comments were not showing when hovering.
    but if you go into the torrent the comments can be read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Weekend_Yet

Looks like I can't access kickass with UPC within the last 15 mins :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No problems using Utv internet. But what in have noticed is that I can't access some sites with google chrome it tells me there is a problem with the site certification.for eg I cannot connect to 1337x with chrome. But I have no problems with Firefox that will let me open anything

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Weekend_Yet

I get a message saying the Pirate Bay is blocked when I use either Chrome/Firefox/IE.

If I use a proxy and use Utorrent to download I get an error message saying torrent is not valid bencoding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yup, seems UPC turned out to just as spineless as Eircom/Vodafone/Magnet in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

**** you upc, *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Laughing pretty damn hard as people blind and swear about UPC being cowards with UPC banners floating above their posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Yup. Kickass is gone from UPC now. Whats the easiest workaround?

I noticed the comments were not showing when hovering.
    but if you go into the torrent the comments can be read

Yeah but it feels like a small victory for the block if none of the mirror sites have 100 percent functionality. Hover comment preview is nice if you only need to quickly check the quality of the file you're downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

bombidol wrote: »

Just use one of the Kickass proxies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Still going strong on three, the only issue is its so slow you can;t really actually download anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

bombidol wrote: »

Can you pm me aswell please if you get one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement