Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kickass Torrents & Eircom. (MOD: No Posting torrent site links!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spear wrote: »
    Yup, seems UPC turned out to just as spineless as Eircom/Vodafone/Magnet in the end.

Go to kickass, get message:
    The Pirate Bay has been blocked

The website you are trying to reach is not available due to an Order of the High Court made at the request of IRMA on June 12, 2013 to block access to The Pirate Bay.

The lazy ****s, could have at least changed the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Yep, just checked, Kickass blocked on eircom with me too:mad:

certain kickass sites are blocked via o2. just happened last friday. managed to get around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I thought when this happened last time with pirate, there was some EU Law passed stating ISP's were not allowed police the internet and their only function should be to provide a service basically superseding the Irish sham law.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CarrieLee

Anyone looking for a Kickass work around - just look for the proxy site -

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mr.Torrent

All you have to do is set up a VPN. Its easy lads, let me know of you need help setting it up. Basically a VPN makes you anonymous online, also allowing you to stream from any site worldwide and use any site for torrents.Your ISP can't trace anything you do because no logs are kept of your downloads.You connect to a number of severs worldwide getting new I.P's.
    BTW, Its completely legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Can you pm me aswell please if you get one?

Seriously, how hard is it for people to google:confused:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kickass+torrents+proxy

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

zarquon wrote: »

Ha ha love it :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

muirsheen wrote: »
    Ha ha love it :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Anyone realise that all your torrent downloads are tracked to your home IP address? Just using proxy sites aren't enough. All your internet service providers can still check what you download. You need a virtual private network

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Mr.Torrent wrote: »
    Anyone realise that all your torrent downloads are tracked to your home IP address? Just using proxy sites aren't enough. All your internet service providers can still check what you download. You need a virtual private network

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

not all proxys allow you to dl torrents. so unless you use one like the search result from yours or torrenticity, the block will still make it hard for some ppl.

we should all fight back by going to freesat and saorview. hit them in their pockets. and if they strangle our internet we can remake dublinwan, but this time more powerful and cheaper to run with raspberry pi's running the show. with better coverage and better content. if youve already have your freesat you could host a node easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

It seems UPC have now blocked kickass .......... as of today:(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Hi pretty new to this just looking for advice. After downloading a torrent how do u get it to play. Sorry in advance for my dumbness

darrenking wrote: »
    Hi pretty new to this just looking for advice. After downloading a torrent how do u get it to play. Sorry in advance for my dumbness

what torrent is it? game/ movie/music?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What difference should that make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Proxy working away fine for me :)

What difference should that make?

because if it was a game he would need to create a virtual(clone) hard drive if wanted to play without burning a disc.

All you have to do is set up a VPN. Its easy lads, let me know of you need help setting it up. Basically a VPN makes you anonymous online, also allowing you to stream from any site worldwide and use any site for torrents.Your ISP can't trace anything you do because no logs are kept of your downloads.You connect to a number of severs worldwide getting new I.P's.
    BTW, Its completely legal.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Yes VPNs hide all your traffic from your ISP. Grand. They also show all of it to your provider. So unless you really trust your VPN provider(not a free one!) dont do ANYTHING important on it.

ED E wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Yes VPNs hide all your traffic from your ISP. Grand. They also show all of it to your provider. So unless you really trust your VPN provider(not a free one!) dont do ANYTHING important on it.

True. I pay for my VPN. A very reliable network but having said that I can't trust them 100%. The most important thing is that your VPN doesn't log your records, that way they can't prove when asked. But at the end of the day, its better to downland your torrents using a reliable one than have your ISP control your network.End of. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 seaeagle

The US supreme court has blocked a lot of these sites inc Isohunt

Mr.S wrote: »
    The only thing semi-right about this post is that VPN's are legal (depending on what you use them for) in this case, though, it isn't.

Everything else is wrong, sorry buddy!

Also a VPN to get around a blocked site is a bit overkill!

-

As always, this block does nothing. If you know how to torrent, you know how to get around it. Pointless.

Since I started to use a VPN my download speed as reached its limit. Before with my ISP it was always short, because they throttle the limit knowing how much I download.
    I dont use a VPN just to get around a blocked site, i use it to be more secure.
    Yes its illegal to download torrents using a VPN, but when im connected to a swiss server , and they dont log my record its better than been completly open to my original ISP.
    My ISP will still see im downloading, but cant tell what. And there is no proof of my my download data.
    Also using my VPN , i dont pay with credit/debit card. I use Gift Cards, so in doing so no paper trail leads to my name/account. No personal information needed to use a VPN. And You will have thousands of new IP's everyday.

All in all it works for me , may not for some. I just joined to help out with people looking for info and new ways to get what they want.

All the best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ShockDoctrin

wow pretty poor effort to block KAT, googled it and got 2 URL's straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I thought when this happened last time with pirate, there was some EU Law passed stating ISP's were not allowed police the internet and their only function should be to provide a service basically superseding the Irish sham law.

Laws don't seem to matter much if they affect an industry's bottom line.

I'd love to see the corporate strategy of IRMA et al in regards to blocking torrent sites.

Step 1. Legislate a block on KAT and the Pirate Bay.

Step 2. Run free streaming services out of the state.

Step 3. Reopen the record shops. Sell the best of Kylie for 40 a pop. They'll all come running....

wow pretty poor effort to block KAT, googled it and got 2 URL's straight away

You don't need to express surprise about the lack of effort made. Eircom are only doing the minimum required by the court order. Being any more stringent about is it not in their interest, from a financial or public relations standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

naughto wrote: »
    it was bound to happen still its a pain in the ball bag.cant log in with the proxy either

It's not a good idea to log into ANY site while using a proxy, just so you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Nolanator Rugby

With cheap services like spotify and netflix there's really no excuse for pirating these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Spotify is a streaming service that is ad based unless you pay.

There's ways around Spotify's ads on the free service if you so choose (on windows anyway). Pretty sure the ads are only a way to annoy you into going paid anyway, not to create a viable revenue stream in and of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Glad sky hasn't blocked any of these sites yet but it's only matter of time when they do :/

A little bit paranoid, I think! All in all, your ISP doesn't really care unless you are downloading over your Usage Policy / Uploading massive amounts of data.

The only reason these sites are getting blocked is court orders and pressure from groups, not because they want to.

Your VPN isn't totally anonymous, but you're not going to attract much attention by using torrents in the first place, unless your taking the piss - and then it'l more than likely just be for going over your FUP.

What ISP are you with that they throttle selected trackers?

Well If I do seem paranoid, its because eircom have sent me letters stating what i have downloaded. So they tracked my torrent history and told me to stop with a harassing letter. Obviously ISP don't really care, they just have to been seen to make an effort. Either way they can make an effort with someone else now thanks to my VPN. Yes its not 100% proof, but its a hell of alot harder to get info from the encryption i have running.

Lastly I'm not here to try an justify why I think a VPN is the way to go,I think its good we all throw in ideas to keep our privacy REALLY private. I agree nothing is 100% , except one, that we all die. :)

So if anyone does want help starting off with this, and there has been a few PMs already , get in touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Well If I do seem paranoid, its because eircom have sent me letters stating what i have downloaded. So they tracked my torrent history and told me to stop with a harassing letter. Obviously ISP don't really care, they just have to been seen to make an effort. Either way they can make an effort with someone else now thanks to my VPN. Yes its not 100% proof, but its a hell of alot harder to get info from the encryption i have running.

Lastly I'm not here to try an justify why I think a VPN is the way to go,I think its good we all throw in ideas to keep our privacy REALLY private. I agree nothing is 100% , except one, that we all die. :)

So if anyone does want help starting off with this, and there has been a few PMs already , get in touch!

stating the total amount that you downloaded surely ?
    not stating exactly what films/music/games that you downloaded.

they are really only interested in their fair usage policy not the content of your downloads

• Advertisement

green123 wrote: »

they are really only interested in their fair usage policy not the content of your downloads
    No. They stated what album I downloaded

1.coldpay
    2. Red Hot chillies ....

And so on.

It had nothing about Usage

Private trackers are the way to go anyway. I can count on one hand the amount of public torrents i have downloaded in the last 2 years. I've lost count on the private trackers though!

green123 wrote: »

No, Eircom will write to you about specific content. They dont track it themselves.

What happens:
    1. User jumps on TPB or other, grabs JustinBieber.torrent and starts downloading
    2. Their torrent client announces to other peers "Hey, give me this file"
    3. One of those peers is a listener working for the IRMA, MPAA, RIAA, SonyBMG, WMG etc etc etc. They log the IP address and time
    4. They send a message to eircom saying the person at this IP at this time is downloading illegal content Justin Bieber - Whatever his album is BANHAMMER THEM!
    5. Eircom send the user a letter, and if its a third time cut them off.

Not sure if the other DSL providers have to comply with that too, I suspect they do.

Meanwhile UPC have a history of telling Sony and co to shove it.

No, Eircom will write to you about specific content. They dont track it themselves.

What happens:
    1. User jumps on TPB or other, grabs JustinBieber.torrent and starts downloading
    3. One of those peers is a listener working for the IRMA, MPAA, RIAA, SonyBMG, WMG etc etc etc. They log the IP address and time
    4. They send a message to eircom saying the person at this IP at this time is downloading illegal content Justin Bieber - Whatever his album is BANHAMMER THEM!

Not sure if the other DSL providers have to comply with that too, I suspect they do.

Well said. I'm supriesd so many still don't know this! I guess that's what these forums are for.!
    I'd go with UPC if it was available where I live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

how much where you downloading a month to get a letter from eircom?
    iam over 200gb at the minute and thats just the laptop,i use netflix as well and sky on demand.this has not being included in the total

how much where you downloading a month to get a letter from eircom?
    iam over 200gb at the minute and thats just the laptop,i use netflix as well and sky on demand.this has not being included in the total

i would be around the same. but the letter wasn't for usage
    It was for content. what I music I was downloading by torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

i download very little if any music its all tv shows, screener season nearly over ill will come down again

ia have a vpn but when i connect to it my download speedis nearly cut in half.its a paid vpn as well btgurad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Just to saying isohunt is back just with .to after it instead of .com

What happens:

So is it only music that is monitored? Or is there a similar deal with movie and tv companies? What about streaming live sports services?

Just to saying isohunt is back just with .to after it instead of .com

It's a copycat site run by different people than the original isohunt.com site

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm using a jail broken apple TV with about 2 years and never had a letter. Im wondering can they tell what you watch through xbmc for example?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

KickAss is now blocked on UPC too so I was told.
    I'm not a big torrenter but I just checked it with Sky and it's not blocked for me.
    I won't give the link for obvious reason but it's the one ending with .to that I tried.

So is it only music that is monitored? Or is there a similar deal with movie and tv companies? What about streaming live sports services?

Streams arent checked here. That needs real time monitoring by ISPs and they dont want the hassle or cost of that. That said streams are a great way to get some ****ty lil malware plugin stuck in your browser.

The record labels appear to be very active in their monitoring of trackers. All the letters Ive seen(friends/family members) were music related. Thats not to say WanerBros or HBO arent watching (Though HBO know they get more torrent hits than they do tv viewers).

To the poster above, ye may remove that post as it's sure to get ye banned.
    Judging by the fact you registered in 2008 and have 1 post, I don't think that'll matter to you but just a heads up!

Streams arent checked here. That needs real time monitoring by ISPs and they dont want the hassle or cost of that. That said streams are a great way to get some ****ty lil malware plugin stuck in your browser.

The record labels appear to be very active in their monitoring of trackers. All the letters Ive seen(friends/family members) were music related. Thats not to say WanerBros or HBO arent watching (Though HBO know they get more torrent hits than they do tv viewers).

What about the software streaming services like torrentstream/acestream, where the user is also sharing the stream?

For those worried about ISP monitoring i highly recommend an application called peerblock for those on public trackers.

What about the software streaming services like torrentstream/acestream, where the user is also sharing the stream?

If its P2P(Peer 2 Peer) then the same applies as any other public tracker. Easily monitored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I'm not sure that ISP's are too bothered about bandwidth usage either TBH. I got Voda Fiber in September, was quiet in my first month. Then got really into my downloading. I don't have Sky or UPC or even Saorview so all my TV watching is on Netflix or torrents and my TV is constantly on. Don't download music, just TV and movies. Looked at my bill for October and I had managed to DL 847GB. It's been consistently around the 500GB-600GB a month since.

pajopearl wrote: »
    I'm not sure that ISP's are too bothered about bandwidth usage either TBH. I got Voda Fiber in September, was quiet in my first month. Then got really into my downloading. I don't have Sky or UPC or even Saorview so all my TV watching is on Netflix or torrents and my TV is constantly on. Don't download music, just TV and movies. Looked at my bill for October and I had managed to DL 847GB. It's been consistently around the 500GB-600GB a month since.
    On Vodafone Fibre don't they just send you a warning after 300GB?
    They don't cap just monitor it or something along those lines.
    I'd love to have Fibre, stuck with Sky instead. :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

On Vodafone Fibre don't think just send you a warning after 300GB?
    They don't cap just monitor it or something along those lines.
    I'd love to have Fibre, stuck with Sky instead. :'(

Yeah, there's a disclaimer on their website that says there is a FUP in place but will NEVER slow you down or cut you off for going over it. Seemingly it's just a monitor to check for suspicious activity such as hacking :rolleyes:

Just checked it there now and since the 14th January there's been 277.80GB traffic on my fibre line:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

No. They stated what album I downloaded
    It had nothing about Usage

Wow. That's something else. I never heard of them being present in Ireland. Could you, by any chance, upload a copy of the letter for us to see. You can black out all the private information and the like- I think it would be interesting for us to see, particularly for those who continue to use Torrents and other downloading methods.

ia have a vpn but when i connect to it my download speedis nearly cut in half.its a paid vpn as well btgurad

Not that I'm promoting using VPNs or other means, but may I just tell you that BTGuard is a very poor service. Yes, it is not primarily for use by businesses and other privacy-enthusiasts, but it is still very, very slow. You're far better off getting a European Union VPN for your business use, or for whatever you intend to use it for.

For those worried about ISP monitoring i highly recommend an application called peerblock for those on public trackers.

PeerBlock does, in a sense, block corporate IP addresses and information, but it does not techinically 'block' you. Yes, these flagged IP addresses are not able to connect to you, technically, but they can see you being in the 'swarm' (the list of users downloading/uploading a torrent). However, there are lots of false-positives and other types of IP addresses blocked, for example:
    88.XX.XX.12 - Normal user, allowed.
    65.XX.XX.15 - Warner Bros. (or similar), blocked
    56.XX.XX.96 - Normal User, allowed
    44.XX.XX.16 - University College Cork, blocked (as it is an 'Institution')
    57.XX.12.12 - Normal user, allowed
    55.XX.98.2X - Nforce (a host, which does sometimes host [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox"]Seedboxes[/URL]), blocked.

By blocking some institutions and hosting companies, for example, you are blocking access to those who are not necessarily a 'threat' (eg. copyright holders), but are blocking those who are 'friendly' and actively sharing. Therefore, there is a level of 'snake oil' about PeerBlock. Filters that are used play a vital role. It is like using an adblocker on your web browser. One or two 'lists' may help, but if you are using a good few, there might be overlap or overkill. It is like using a large net to catch a single fish; you're pulling it tons more than you need.

OK, it is better than nothing, but it not really helping. It's like trying to cheat with your neighbours wife. You're shagging under a blanket, to hide the fact that you are 'doing it' from onlookers, but meanwhile you're doing it in the driveway of the house. You're in plain sight, only less obvious.
    (Bad analogy, I know)

I'm not advocating or criticising piracy, torrents, or downloading in any way in any of my posts. I am giving a technical standpoint upon the scenario being faced by users.

Advertisement