Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellers and "after care" problems

Options
  • 16-01-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have purchased several rings from a well know jeweller in Dublin over the past 3 years. Most recently, 4 rings the last 18 months. Over separate occasions we have sent these rings off to get "dipped" (ie: Cleaned and reshined). This service normally takes 3 - 4 days. Invaribly, on day 3 I seem to always get a phone call saying that something is wrong with the rings (band is loose/warped/diamond is not clasped properly) and there is a several hundred euro charge for getting it fixed.

Do I have any rights in relation to the purchases of these rings? It seems that every ring I have bought off them, has had an issue with them, always as something similar to each other. To me, it seems that the rings arent lasting any form of life. I would think, that something like a wedding ring, should not have issues forming within 18 months of purchase. Its expected to last a long time, so surely 18 months seems quite short. I dont work in a manually intense job. Whenever I am doing any form of work where my hands are the main use (fixing a car/gardening) the ring is always taken off.

Any thoughts or is it a case of tough luck?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why do rings less than 18 months old need to be cleaned and reshone? Dipping shouldn't be needed that soon with normal wear. I know you'll say not, but it does suggest abnormal wear and tear by the user.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The reason being is that i noticed under the diamonds there was black. The person in the jewellers saidbits fairly common with open backed diamonds and if I send it off it will be cleaned out. Its my 1 year anniversary this weekend so I wanted it sent off to look like new.

Its the equivalent of saying that a car with low mileage should never need a wash. Some people just like having their items look as good as new!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do they not have an ultrasonic cleaner on the premises? We used to be able to do a clean and polish in under and hour.

Gold rings wont tarnish, but they will get micro scratches from use, and these can be polished out. White gold and plated settings need replating when they get worn, this is usually a job that needs to be outsourced from a high street jeweller. Settings do just get dirty too, with grime collecting under and around the stones, this can be cleaned ultrasonically, its very simple, and is a good thing to do regularly, and you also get the settings checked. What can happen is that the dirt can hold the stones in sometimes so they become noticeably loose when clean, and may then require repair. But a decent setting shouldn't require extensive repair in 18 months unless you are extremely careless with it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that. Its only been worn for 12 months, and even when I have a shower it comes off my finger! The main issue is that every ring, both my wifes and my own, have "setting" issues or "warped" issues. We arent careless with our rings. Maybe if we were married a few years, maybe more so a little, but the ring gets less wear and tear than my actual hands. It just seems odd that EVERY ring we have purchased ends up with the same issue. Im trying to figure out have we just been unlucky, have the shop being selling lower quality rings or is the jeweller trying to pull a fast one. All the rings are 9 or 18ct white gold with diamonds.

In fairness to the girl in the shop, she said the ring wasnt bad at all, but could see the dirt caught under the diamonds. So even in her professional opinion it wasnt worn in any way excessive.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

best way to clean diamonds is to soak them in gin overnight ! cheaper than a jewelers .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What have they said they have to do to cost hundreds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

For me it's a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
    There's loads of jewellery cleaning kits you can buy and do the job yourself for free. Just make sure you have insurance in case you lose a stone.

Advertisement