Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog keeps defecating in front of my house

• 16-01-2014 1:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭

Some people or person out walking their dogs, keep letting their dog(s)defecate in front of my house, on my grass border and at the entrance to our drive. I'm getting a bit fed up cleaning up after them, and I suspect it could be the same person over and over, and now, intentionally or otherwise, has their dog in the routine of doing it there when there out walking them. I can't really understand the mentality of people who do that, I would not let my dog do it in the entrance to someone else’s driveway or on their grass. I'm out at work all day, and I'm not interested in 'catching them' as I think that would be the usual waste of time, and it could be innocently be more than just one person, or some old dear who does not have a clue.

Anyways, back to the point :

Is there anything relatively harmless repellent to dogs I can sprinkle or spray to encourage passing dogs to defecate elsewhere and put them off defecating there ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pepper or vinegar can do the trick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Dogs-off-Lawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 70 ✭✭Philope

irish_goat wrote: »
    Pepper or vinegar can do the trick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Dogs-off-Lawn

Thanks, given the windy / wet weather in Ireland, would that be effective ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Get_Off_My_Garden_Crystals.html

Try these if not a few suggestions below may help...

Try creating a perimeter barrier around your garden using either ammonia or vinegar. Dogs detest the smell of either of these items and may be tempted to stay away if your ring the perimeter of your garden with the odor.[1] Try spraying either barrier solution along concrete or other paths and entrance areas. Be aware that both ammonia and vinegar will kill plants, so avoid spraying it on your plants unless you're wanting to get rid of some weeds.

Try citrus. Many dogs (but not all) dislike the odor of citrus.[1] You could try tossing citrus peels into the garden borders around your property and perhaps even on lawn spaces. Any citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit, etc.) is fine, so keep the peels after cooking with citrus or eating it. Of course, this is fairly unsightly, so you may not want to use it where your prized roses are on display.
    • Citrus oil can be dabbed onto or soaked into cotton balls, which are then placed into the garden beds to emit an odor. You may find this not so useful if it's windy though, and there may be a risk of non-deterred animals trying to eat the cotton balls.
    • There are commercial versions of dog repellents that smell like citrus and can be sprayed just about anywhere. Inquire at your local pet store or garden store and follow the instructions on the label carefully.
    Put up a fence. If you're absolutely fed up with neighborhood dogs treating your front lawn as their doggy-do haven, consider enclosing the area with a fence. While this might not be a cheap solution, it could save you much agony.
    • You'll need to check that having a fence is in line with the local property laws. Moreover, knowing the laws may also enlighten you as to whether your neighbor needs to come to the party on costs for building any adjoining fence––this could make the fencing optional an affordable and ideal solution.
    • Once a fence is up, teach everyone to shut the gate, or dogs will simply let themselves into the garden via the opening.
    • If you already have a fence and dogs are letting themselves in still, check for holes and breaches––you'll need to fix them immediately.
    • In farm environments, a temporary electric fence placed around an area where you'd like the dogs to stay away from might work to discourage further forays into your yard space.[2] Only use this method if it won't create a danger to people or other animals. Moreover, get expert advice and/or help on installing such a fence.
    Plant barriers. Plant a thorny, prickly or thick hedge. Make it hard for the dogs to gain access to the property or as a visual deterrent to entry. Small prickly bushes in a row can serve as a dog-repellent, while anything thorny like rose bushes planted closely together, might deter dogs. Of course, planting a barrier takes time to come into effect, so you'll need to use another method in the meantime––think of this method as a long-term approach.
    • Rosemary plants are sometimes a good, reasonably fast-growing hedge with a prickly feel that dogs don't like.
    Cover flowerbed areas. If dogs are defecating in flowerbeds or vegetable patches, lay down chicken wire (cut around plant stems as you go) and simply fold the edges into the soil. Cover the wire layer with mulch, to hide it. This mesh will prevent dogs from digging––it's unpleasant under their feet and this should be enough to deter dogs from defecating where it has been laid.[2]
    • Gravel might also work as it feels unpleasant on the dog's paws.
    • After cutting your rose bushes, sprinkle the cuttings over areas where you don't want dogs to go. (Alternatively, use cuttings from a holly bush.) The thorns will act as a painful deterrent. On the downside, using dried thorn stems presents a danger to babies, toddlers and young children, not to mention the hazard of gardening near them, so avoid using this method if you have young children or you're not willing to work around the thorny stems with care when gardening.

Cheers, I'm looking for something I don't have to put down too often or will cost too much.
    Slow disolving capsules of dog repellent would be ideal. I might check with the local pet shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

OP, can you find out who it is and have a word? Like a friendly neighbour who might have seen him passing?
    People are gas. (Not you, dog walker). Reminds me of that part in Me, Myself and Irene, not for one second suggesting thats what you do by the way.

• Advertisement

I'd rather try the capsules/repellent first before I go down that route.

Chances are the dogs themselves will have more sense than that type of owner anyway.

You'd have to catch them in the act etc., and involve other people, and there could be more than one at it, and there is always the possibility of accusing someone in the wrong etc. I think when you have to explain such basic things to adults, you're wasting your time with them anyway. I couldn't be bothered with being their parent at this stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Philope wrote: »
    I can't really understand the mentality of people who do that, I would not let my dog do it in the entrance to someone else’s driveway or on their grass.

Sometimes you don't have a choice - my pup has no poo etiquette so will go anywhere - which is often in front of somebody's gate/driveway(!) and a bit embarrassing! I always pick it up though. I think you're mad not to catch them tbh. Anyhoos 'Get Off My Lawn' gel is very good or even jeyes fluid

tk123 wrote: »
    Sometimes you don't have a choice

This is not a one off. As a dog owner myself, I know that people do have a choice, and they certainly have the choice whether to clean it up or not.
    I think you're mad not to catch them tbh.

And how do I do that if I'm at work all day ? Even if I wasn't, do I stand at the bottom of the Garden all day every day ? Ask neighbours to be a witness, even then will it cease ? Do I set up secret cameras and then try to identify them and prove it ? Where's it all going ?

Even then, if that was all successful, as I said, their dog probably has more sense. I've better things to be doing than being a grown adult's parent.

As I said, I'll be trying the capsules first.

Philope wrote: »
    This is not a one off. As a dog owner myself, I know that people do have a choice, and they certainly have the choice whether to

Ok so your walking down a 1km stretch of terraced houses and your dog goes to poo - how do you choose for them not to go as every spot will be outside somebody's house/garden/drive?

Ok so your walking down a 1km stretch of terraced houses and your dog goes to poo - how do you choose for them not to go as every spot will be outside somebody's house/garden/drive?

There are pleanty of spots on the road I live on.
    If you can't find a spot, and I find that hard to believe, then you clean it up, you don't leave it there. Surely that's common sense ?

• Advertisement

I said that I always pick up in my post. I was responding to you stating that you choice where your dog poops which IMO you don't. If either of my dogs need to go then they go - there's no way of stopping them.

I said that I always pick up in my post. I was responding to you stating that you choice where your dog poops which IMO you don't. If either of my dogs need to go then they go - there's no way of stopping them.

Well I've mine trained to go elsewhere. They don't shyte on neighbours property, or in the middle of their entrances. I'm glad to hear you pick yours up and so you should, but that's not the problem I'm having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jeyes Fluid will damage your lawn if you put it on.
    We had the same problem for a few months a year ago.
    I installed a freeware motion activation application for a PC's webcam and put the camera in an upstairs bedroom window. I put the camera in a box in case anyone thought I was spying on the whole street.
    Because it's motion-activated you won't have hours of footage to trawl through. We found our culprit on the 2nd day. Vaguely knew him from the estate, a young teenager out walking a new puppy.
    Went around to the home to have a word with the parents.
    Got the expected "I'm sure you're mistaken, my son wouldn't..." from the mammy.
    Told her our surveillance camera had recorded it and gave her a printout of Fido squatting on our lawn with her son watching from the footpath.

Wasn't invited in for tea but no more problems with Fido.

The truth is once a dog decides hes going to go, then there is no stopping him and I think 99% of us on here are fully in agreement that ALL dog owners should clean up after their dogs.

As a dog owner my pockets in my jackets / glove compartment of the car is full of poo bags (unused of course:p) so i dont get "caught out", I always have more than one, and have offered them to other dog owners who Ive seen walk away from theirs dogs poo, only to be told mind my own f*cking business...

OP, try the pellets and let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Sometimes you don't have a choice - my pup has no poo etiquette so will go anywhere
    cocker5 wrote: »
    The truth is once a dog decides hes going to go, then there is no stopping him

Well, you could keep your dog on lead (at least until after he's defecated) and then lead him - drag him if necessary - to a suitable spot e.g. the road gutter.

Well, you could keep your dog on lead (at least until after he's defecated) and then lead him - drag him if necessary - to a suitable spot e.g. the road gutter.

Where are you getting the off lead thing?
    I never said my dog was off lead.... he's never off lead, so less of the attitude...

yes i think ill drag my dog down the street until I find a suitable spot!!
    :p:p
    As they dont "work" like that, my dog gets a scent a goes, whenever, wherever I cant control it.

Do you actual have a dog?? I think not beacuse if you did you would know they stop DEAD in their tracks and go (well mine does anyhow) and as i ALREADY said i always clean up after him EVERYTIME. So its irrevelant where he goes as it always picked up. ;)

when you mention road gutter, are you actually implying its ok NOT to pick up it but leave it in the gutter??????? I hope not!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have a similar problem to the OP difference is I know who's responsible - one person walkng their dog routinely and dog poops all along the road - Never picked up by owner only picked up by me if it goes outside our place - I have been tempted to collect all droppings in a bag and bring it down to their house but I'm not brave enough!

On the other point my dogs rarely if ever poop on a walk - they've normally done all their business before we walk or after in the garden - I always thought it was because they don't like going whilst on the lead - but then we have lots of fields so they get plenty of off lead exercise.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I have a similar problem to the OP difference is I know who's responsible - one person walkng their dog routinely and dog poops all along the road - Never picked up by owner only picked up by me if it goes outside our place - I have been tempted to collect all droppings in a bag and bring it down to their house but I'm not brave enough!

On the other point my dogs rarely if ever poop on a walk - they've normally done all their business before we walk or after in the garden - I always thought it was because they don't like going whilst on the lead - but then we have lots of fields so they get plenty of off lead exercise.

You Def should!! I did this 5 years ago, I had repeately said to my Neighbour (3 doors down) her dog was pooing in my front garden, same spot same size poo (sorry TMI) and her response was "its def not my dog as he's never out", then a few times i met her out the front and the dog was roaming... he kept doing it over a few weeks... again i asked her not to let him out, after my 4th call to her door i told her next time i'd leave it in a bag on her door step.... i also told her if it still happened after that id leave it on her door step again - this time MINUS the bag...

So needless to say it happened again cue me leaving the poo in the bag on her door step.... the threat of without the bag worked as it NEVER happened after that :D

We have the same problem on the main road - somebody walking their dogs at night or earlier than us in the morning lets the dogs poo all over the place - and there's 2 bins along the road!! If I lived on the main road I know exactly what I'd do - get them on camera, print out a screen shot post it in their door! Or if it was a stranger laminate the photo and hang it along the railings on the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pretzill wrote: »

I'm brave enough. I asked this old codger to pick up after his dog who performed outside my gate every day. I had wheeled a buggy through it a few times, and a friend who visits me in a wheelchair had also got caught up in it. He told me to f off.

I shovelled it up every day for a week and placed it on his doorstep.

Stopped the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Here's another approach. Try sticking a notice up asking people not to let their dogs poo on your patch and pick up after them if they do. Maybe attach a few poo bags to encourage them along. Sometimes the embarrassment factor can work wonders.

Where are you getting the off lead thing?
    I never said my dog was off lead.... he's never off lead, so less of the attitude...

yes i think ill drag my dog down the street until I find a suitable spot!!
    :p:p
    As they dont "work" like that, my dog gets a scent a goes, whenever, wherever I cant control it.

Do you actual have a dog?? I think not beacuse if you did you would know they stop DEAD in their tracks and go (well mine does anyhow) and as i ALREADY said i always clean up after him EVERYTIME. So its irrevelant where he goes as it always picked up. ;)

when you mention road gutter, are you actually implying its ok NOT to pick up it but leave it in the gutter??????? I hope not!! :rolleyes:

No 'attitiude' intended on my part -or criticism of your use of a dog lead.

Just commenting, in general, on owners claiming that they can't control where their dog craps.

Keep him on the lead and drag him (if necessary) off/away from private property to a more suitable spot. Straight forward really.

No 'attitiude' intended on my part -or criticism of your use of a dog lead.

Just commenting, in general, on owners claiming that they can't control where their dog craps.

Keep him on the lead and drag him (if necessary) off/away from private property to a more suitable spot. Straight forward really.

Don't think so, I'm not dragging him down the street , I will clean it up after he goes.

Straight forward really.

Don't think so, I'm not dragging him down the street , I will clean it up after he goes.

Straight forward really.

+1

Straight forward really.
    Maybe you're exaggerating for dramatic effect.

I don't want your dog faeces on my driveway or my lawn - even if you pick it up promptly. Solution: keep your mutt on a lead and when necessary lead him away, or drag him away, to defecate somewhere else. I don't see what the issue is really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Maybe you're exaggerating for dramatic effect.

I don't want your dog faeces on my driveway or my lawn - even if you pick it up promptly. Solution: keep your mutt on a lead and when necessary lead him away, or drag him away, to defecate somewhere else. I don't see what the issue is really.

two_wheels_good there is nothing dramatic about cocker5s response whatsoever. Do you actually own a dog as has been asked previously?

You're borderline instigating an argument with very responsible dog owners here with your dismissive attitude. These posters have expressed that their dogs are not "off leash" nor can anticipate when their dogs are going to defecate. I suspect you have very little experience of dogs if this is your reply because I can tell you now I certainly would not be "dragging" a dog anywhere if he was performing a natural function such as this.

Also unless it's on a banter basis please stop refering to other posters dogs as "mutts".

The "issue" is you're being downright rude. You could learn a lot from our regular and well informed posters here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As the OP has been banned for being a re-reg, this thread is now closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement