Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activating visa before going?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. Long story but I got a visa for Canada last year which expires in March. I can't go until September. Can I head over for a week in March just to activate it and then come home? Would there be any issues with this (Insurance etc). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

liszto wrote: »
    Hi. Long story but I got a visa for Canada last year which expires in March. I can't go until September. Can I head over for a week in March just to activate it and then come home? Would there be any issues with this (Insurance etc). Thanks!

i cant see a problem with that but id say you would need your insurance with you when your going to activate your visa, and your bank statement.
    im doing the same now myself in february

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭paco451

Im doing the same in 2 weeks. You need travel insurance for 2 years when you head over first time. You are allowed to come back to country of origin for 2 weeks before the insurance is invalid so when you leave again you need more insurance just in case they ask for it at the airport. Some people can get away with it but would you really chance it? Insurance was €285.00 for 2 years basic cover no winter sports

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

You need insurance to cover the T's and C's of the IEC visa. Check the small print on the insurance policies as I believe the most you can be out of Canada for differs for each insurance company. Even at that I'm pretty sure a Long break like March - Sept would not be covered....
    Now I'm not saying it would work but people before here have suggested before getting insurance check the small print for the 'cooling off period'. Book just before you go and cancel within that period. Then when you re-enter the country in a few months buy then insurance again.
    Not sure if it would work but at least you would be covered for your longer stay without breaking the conditions.

Advertisement