Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cruagh/Johnny Fox's Conditions

• 16-01-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I hope this is isn't a stupid question but I plan on going for the first proper spin this weekend and was wondering if anybody has any idea what the confiditions are like up around the Cruagh/Tibradden climb and on to Johnny Fox's/Enniskerry?

Is it likely to be icy etc?

Any precautions I should take.

Plan on doing around a 60K loop.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

All depends on the day. It's grand at the moment. Icy a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Wait until 10am or later before heading off...less likely to encounter frost
    or ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

Yep that was the plan to leave it until 10.30.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Check Norwegian weather site for a detailed weather forecast in the area,
    I left last week after 12.00 and still found some icy patches up the blesso lake area.
    Was planning for the Johnny foxes area this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Anything below about 4 degrees in Dublin and you're likely to see ice higher up around the Featherbeds. Even if the temperature is higher, you need to be careful on shady North facing spots. If in doubt, head somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Zen0 wrote: »
    Anything below about 4 degrees in Dublin and you're likely to see ice higher up around the Featherbeds. Even if the temperature is higher, you need to be careful on shady North facing spots. If in doubt, head somewhere else.

Good advice. I've left my house with 6C on the weather station and encountered solid ice on side roads beyond Brittas. Usually main roads are OK but shaded areas as mentioned above can still have dangerous ice. Cruagh Road is well shaded in many stretches so caution would be well advised.

If you're in any doubt just keep to lower elevations and wait (pray, dance) for better weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

crosstownk wrote: »
    Good advice. I've left my house with 6C on the weather station and encountered solid ice on side roads beyond Brittas. Usually main roads are OK but shaded areas as mentioned above can still have dangerous ice. Cruagh Road is well shaded in many stretches so caution would be well advised.

If you're in any doubt just keep to lower elevations and wait (pray, dance) for better weather.

And whatever you do..don't read THIS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    And whatever you do..don't read THIS!

I just did :eek:

I'm itching for a stab at Sally Gap - I'm only recently back cycling and haven't done Sally Gap in over 20 years. I reckon I'm able for it at this stage but I'll wait for milder weather. I'm too old for a bad spill so I'll bide my time.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey...........

rckfld wrote: »

Refine it to Enniskerry, try Kippure too albeit a little further up but that will be the coldest to give you an idea.

• Advertisement

rckfld wrote: »

Refine your search to Enniskerry and Kippure too give you an idea of temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Refine your search to Enniskerry and Kippure too give you an idea of temperature.
    Kippure - 1 degree Celsius from 6am to 6pm tomorrow!

Kippure - 1 degree Celsius from 6am to 6pm tomorrow!

Three rock just about in the plus Saturday.....We need Jean Byrne

Advertisement