Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom out around Caherconlish

• 16-01-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyones had problems with Eircom of late, the modem seems to be dropping its IP. DSL carrier stays up though.

Comments

nope all good here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, mine's been dropping a good bit for the last week or so, on the verge of contacting Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Had a problem just after Christmas and had an engineer out to tell me there is nothing wrong, but coincidentally I know that several others in the area had problems at the same time because my young lad was on xbox with his friend in ballyneety and both of them lost internet at the same time, report the problem because the lines are still not 100% stable. My line is being fed by the exchange in Inch St. Laurence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Yeah, I don't think the issue is with the lines, hence they check out fine.

Our phone lines head to the D-slam in the exchange in Inch St. Laurence, but that exchange is connected to the main exchange in Limerick by a radio link afaik.

What I've been seeing is on the modem, DSL is up and rates are good (so connection from exchange to modem is fine) but it seems to loose the public side IP address (which is given out by the Radius Servers in town).

So I think the issue may be in the main exchange or the link between the main exchange and the Inch, St.Laurence exchange.

Wish they'd hurry up and run that fibre!... tho I'm sure they're doing their damnedest.

Mid June this year for the eFibre but like all services in this country I won't be holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Xennon wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyones had problems with Eircom of late, the modem seems to be dropping its IP. DSL carrier stays up though.

Ya mine has been dropping of late also, I live across the road from the hub and they are constantly working on it

Anyone else lose BB Connection tonight ? Mines not working since I came home around 5

Ya mine is just back, 25 minutes on hold to eircom to tell me there is an outage, couldnt answer anything about the problems over the last few weeks

Yeah connection was gone aswell yesterday evening. Wasnt home so couldnt see if it was a line fault (which I doubt) or if it was a fault elsewhere in their infrastructure.

That said...had some great games of BF4 last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Our broadband went y'day evening and only came back around mid-day.

Rang Sky and was told that there was a massive outage in "the South" :confused: which was affecting all broadband providers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Bband went out about 6pm last night, rang sky & told there was widespread outage, they said approx. 24hrs for it to be sorted. Came back around 8.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

In Ballybricken and it's dropping in and out here too. A balls cause my husband works from home.

Ahhhhh the home of the Ballybricken Slammer!!...

A cocktail to end all cocktails. :D

Xennon wrote: »
    Ahhhhh the home of the Ballybricken Slammer!!...

A cocktail to end all cocktails. :D

What's the recipe ?

Not sure if anyones suvived to tell ;)

It is fabled that it starts with a pint glass and the rest is decretionary but limited to the top row, though I hear it allows for a Guinness head on special ocasions.

Eircom up and down alot again today, getting flaky. Will try and get on to them, you guys having same issues with the Inch St. Laurence Exchange?

Yeah, drops 6-8 times a day. Onto Eircom 3 times now, last time on Friday and was told they had no logged issued with Inch St. Lawrence. Once I said I logged 2 calls already, they then found it :rolleyes:. It is being escalated and no ETA. Same for the last 2 weeks.

Mine has been off a few times over the weekend for a couple of hours a time, have spoken to sky a couple of times without much joy. Their 'executive support' called this am to say they were reducing my speed profile to see if this stabilised things & I promptly lost internet again, just back on about 10 mins ago!!

Yeah, was just on to Paul on eircom live chat, explained that there were a good few with issues out our way, he did say there was an issue alright last week, but wasnt aware of anything this week. Hes sending me a free modem anyway (I'll take anything free from them).

I did explain that the DSL seems to stay up but that Im loosing the IP address on the modem. Unfortunately I got the usual, is there anything else plugged in blah blah...well I supposed they have to go through that routine.

So when it goes, can you guys tell me if your DSL light goes red on your modem or does everything looks like it always does, green lights only. Lets see if we can get a unified response going to them, might make them take a closer look.

On the good news front, it looks like the exchange is due to be fibred up in June, and in fairness to them, theyre rolling it out like a good thing.

Dsl light on sky modem changes to orange, it should be white. This started new years eve night with me, eircom had an engineer on site that night according to sky but they didn't know what the problem was then or now!

• Advertisement

On my modem, the light on the far right (no name or indication above the light so not sure what it's for) goes from green to red.

Only reason I'm still with Eircom is to hold out for eFiber in June. Does anyone know if they need to run new lines into my house for it? I was already told my line can only get 5mbs (I'm on an 8mbs package) but surely this won't be the case for eFiber as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

sheehy83 wrote: »
    On my modem, the light on the far right (no name or indication above the light so not sure what it's for) goes from green to red.

Only reason I'm still with Eircom is to hold out for eFiber in June. Does anyone know if they need to run new lines into my house for it? I was already told my line can only get 5mbs (I'm on an 8mbs package) but surely this won't be the case for eFiber as well?

No new lines into the house, you'll need a new type of socket. That is all unless there are problems on the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah, drops 6-8 times a day. Onto Eircom 3 times now, last time on Friday and was told they had no logged issued with Inch St. Lawrence. Once I said I logged 2 calls already, they then found it :rolleyes:. It is being escalated and no ETA. Same for the last 2 weeks.

There have been problems at Inch St Laurence since the 30th. Should be resolved by this evening I'm told.

hmm...If you are getting red/orange lights on the modem this would indicate that the DSL is being dropped. If this is happening, I'd recomend removing all connections from the main socket in the house and plug the modem directly in there. Eircom are responsible for your connection only as far as that socket, so try and eliminate all other issues.

If it stays up connected there, then the issue is within your house, dodgy wiring, dodgy phone, splitters, skybox etc...any of these could be causing interference.

If it still drops the connection while connected to the main socket then the problem is between you and the exchange. Judding by the state of some of the poles around, Im amazed anyone has broadband, especially down the bohermore road.

Regarding efibre, the old system was a copper line from the exchange in Inch St. Laurence to a coms box in caherconlish, and then more fibre out to your house. This will be replaced (I would imagine) by fibre to Inch St. Laurence and fibre from there to the comms box in Caherconlish (you can see the new coms box by the credit union). This means that the only copper will be from the coms box to your house which should greatly increase the bandwidth available to you....(in theorey).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Foxxer1980

I a living just outside Ballyneety and have had this issue since new years eve swell, so far I've had eircom out 3 times I've been told there was a fault at the exchange, fault on the line on the main rd to ballyneety and a fault in the connection on the pole, I also work from home and this is really starting to effect my job, I would really encourage anyone in this area to call Eircom and log the fault, I call at least twice a day to get an update as to whats happening and have been told so many different excuses but they have agreed to give me 6months free broadband due to the ongoing outage.

Connection went down again tonight between 5.45pm and 6.35pm.
    I have starting logging all the downtime now as it is a real pain because we stream the TV connection and are only left with freeview when it is down.
    Will call Voda tomorrow if it goes again,

Mine went down around 6pm as well. Gonna ring Eircom tomorrow to complain again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I am with sky and have been without broadband since Saturday morning , they tell me that they have contacted eircom but it will be Wednesday at earliest before it is resolved

I'm in inch st.laurence and on my modem I only have sky hub light and wifi light on ( power light as well obviously )

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Foxxer1980

Mine was down 12 o clock to about 1.45 and again at 5.45 to 6.45/7 ish . I wouldn't be too confident that they will have it sorted by Wednesday . They have been telling me that since Jan1st. If you don't call and ask for updates it just gets put on the long finger it seems.

• Advertisement

The problem is that when I report it to voda (in fairness they have been very good CS wise) they log the fault with eircom and I get a txt with the service number. Eircom guy come out and blames my router saying there is no fault on the line. I get another txt to say the issue is resolved. even though I have seen the eircom guys up and down my road loads of times when I have not logged anything and my neighbors have. I think if this continues the next step is Comreg as there is obviously a problem that needs fixed. Do you think that they are trying to piss us all off so we upgrade (in contract) to fiber when it becomes available?

Advertisement