Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom out around Caherconlish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I was talking to one of my mates from Vodafone who said that 26th Sept it goes live.

Didn't realise we can get 4g out here, who was that with?

It's going to kill me to switch back to Eircom, with fibre speeds though it might sway me. I wish Sky would offer Fibre, I would stay with them otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

djsim101 wrote: »
    I was talking to one of my mates from Vodafone who said that 26th Sept it goes live.

It's going to kill me to switch back to Eircom, with fibre speeds though it might sway me. I wish Sky would offer Fibre, I would stay with them otherwise

4g is with meteor

Ah cool man, is it any good?

Ah cool man, is it any good?

Usually ranges between 18 to 25mbps, lowest so far has been 14mbps compared to my 3mbps with landline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

hmm when I put my number in it says its not available,

"Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:Oct'14 Please notify me when it's available"

but the map says it is.

seemingly if you are connected to an exchange then you probably wont get efibre, but if you are one of the satellite green boxes then you will, seems they're limited for ports. I'd be happy with mine if it wasnt routed through freakin Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Xennon wrote: »
    hmm when I put my number in it says its not available,

"Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:Oct'14 Please notify me when it's available"

but the map says it is.

seemingly if you are connected to an exchange then you probably wont get efibre, but if you are one of the satellite green boxes then you will, seems they're limited for ports. I'd be happy with mine if it wasnt routed through freakin Galway.

I'm the same when I put in my number it says not available but when I put in next door neighbours number it comes up available...

whats that about like

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dellsmore

Have just tried Eircom's line check and it says I can get 50Mb where I am (Knockatanna). I'm currently with Vodafone. Does anyone know of any disadvantages of switching to Eircom?

Unless Vodafone can match (or beat) Eircom speed wise I'm leaning towards signing up with Eircom in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

We're getting efibre and evision in on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

dellsmore wrote: »
    Have just tried Eircom's line check and it says I can get 50Mb where I am (Knockatanna). I'm currently with Vodafone. Does anyone know of any disadvantages of switching to Eircom?

Unless Vodafone can match (or beat) Eircom speed wise I'm leaning towards signing up with Eircom in the next day or so.

Whatever you can get with Eircom, you'll get with Vodafone. They just resell Eircoms offerings for a cheaper price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

If fibre is available with one operator e.g eircom it will become available to all operators such as vodafone, personally cannot stand the eircom fibre routers they run on java very badly designed and the vodafone ones aren't much better....best I have seen so far by miles is Digiweb fibre which I have in the city nearly a yr now.... Sky fibre is due to launch in the republic soon....has been brought up a number of times by sky reps I have met...but they didnt have an exact date but id be amazed if it takes much longer...

• Advertisement

Anyone on the vodafone broadband only service out this way? Seems very reasonably priced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, they are upgrading mine to fibre next Friday. €35 per month which was what I was paying up to now anyway.

2 eircom reps around last week pushing their fibre, usual quiz who are with etc. Told them I was using 4g bb from meteor with speeds consistently 20mbps & sometimes closer to 25 to which they replied I would get up to 50 with their product. I told them their line checker gives a speed of 18mbps to which he checked his clipboard & confirmed this was correct. Rep then asked would I change over if speed increased, except for installing a cabinet close to me is there something else they can do to increase speed ? Out of curiosity I checked Flannerys' & Mulcahys' no's & they returned speeds of 80 & 90 mbps, I live in ceol na habhann btw.
    Apologies for long winded post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

bodonnell wrote: »
    2 eircom reps around last week pushing their fibre, usual quiz who are with etc. Told them I was using 4g bb from meteor with speeds consistently 20mbps & sometimes closer to 25 to which they replied I would get up to 50 with their product. I told them their line checker gives a speed of 18mbps to which he checked his clipboard & confirmed this was correct. Rep then asked would I change over if speed increased, except for installing a cabinet close to me is there something else they can do to increase speed ? Out of curiosity I checked Flannerys' & Mulcahys' no's & they returned speeds of 80 & 90 mbps, I live in ceol na habhann btw.
    Apologies for long winded post
    What's the download/upload cap on the 4G you have? What speed ping do you get on 4g?
    Very few people have bought 4g handsets yet so i expect a major uptake in the future as most new smartphone are using LTE technology - this means one thing - 4G will get slower as more people use the network.

My advice would be take the fibre from eircom and be happy you live in a rural area that actually can get it.
    Wish it was available to me and I live within 2kms of a cabinet but still can't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I rang Eircom and they said the efibre line is setup but not active yet. They said it will be activated in the 3rd week of October and will be sending out notifications when done.

@ Damienirel

www.speedtest.net/result/3811852184.png

This is on wifi upstairs from router
    Dl cap is 30gb pm

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep, they are upgrading mine to fibre next Friday. €35 per month which was what I was paying up to now anyway.

Bazz are you on the Caherconlish exchange aswell? Is that €35 including the dreaded line rental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

bodonnell wrote: »
    @ Damienirel

www.speedtest.net/result/3811852184.png

This is on wifi upstairs from router
    Dl cap is 30gb pm
    Yeah that's a decent ping is it consistently 30ms?.
    30gb cap wouldn't suit me I'm using a min of 60gb a month.
    But considering it's wireless it's very impressive.
    I just hope vodafone/esb get on with this ftth and everybody has the option of 1000mb BB.
    Looks like eircom would have to pull up their socks then or just cease to exist.

damienirel wrote: »
    Yeah that's a decent ping is it consistently 30ms?.
    30gb cap wouldn't suit me I'm using a min of 60gb a month.
    But considering it's wireless it's very impressive.
    I just hope vodafone/esb get on with this ftth and everybody has the option of 1000mb BB.
    Looks like eircom would have to pull up their socks then or just cease to exist.

Ping range I've noted since using 4g is usually between 23 & 30, mostly lower than 30 though. I am just about staying within my cap, streaming on xbmc being my main vice.
    At present signal strength on the router is only 1 bar (out of 5), hope to change ext. antenna position soon to see if signal reception can be improved. But, I'm happy with current speed to be honest.

Xennon wrote: »
    Bazz are you on the Caherconlish exchange aswell? Is that €35 including the dreaded line rental?

It's for fiber broadband only, no phone or calls but since it's coming through the phone line I assume it includes line rental. I think it's €45 per month if you want calls included but I didn't really look into it as I don't use the land line for anything other than BB these days.

Have been a Vodofone BB customer for a number of years now out there and any issues I have ever had have always been Exchange or line related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Been with Munster broadband for the last few years, wondering if it will be worth it to switch over to efibre.

Got upgraded this morning. Now getting download speeds of 28mb and upload speeds of 7mb so far. Eircom engineer said speeds will improve.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Got upgraded this morning. Now getting download speeds of 28mb and upload speeds of 7mb so far. Eircom engineer said speeds will improve.

Did you have to ring them or get called?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Did you have to ring them or get called?

I was with them already but I was out of contract. I kept checking the eircom fibre role out map and my telephone number. But Vodafone and Eircom reps have been out in the area for the last weeks knocking on doors, as fibre became available.

As soon as the line checker told me fibre was available I rang them to see what deal they were offering. Basically it is costing me the same every month as before except you sign a new 18 month contract. That includes a free fibre modem and new phone jack installation. Lead time from signing up and installation was 7 working days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

roast wrote: »
    Whatever you can get with Eircom, you'll get with Vodafone. They just resell Eircoms offerings for a cheaper price.

This is not entirely true. Vodafone use Eircom's lines, but they have their own network. They negotiate their networking, support etc and all Eircom do is merely connect the customer to Vodafone's network.

They don't really resell Eircom's service. Technically :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Mr. G wrote: »
    This is not entirely true. Vodafone use Eircom's lines, but they have their own network. They negotiate their networking, support etc and all Eircom do is merely connect the customer to Vodafone's network.

They don't really resell Eircom's service. Technically :)

True enough. But I don't think this thread requires that much detail. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petal25

Hi there, as the title says I'm looking to get Reflexology in Limerick City, I've done a quick search and I can't seem to find anyone in the actual city. Does anyone know of one or can anyone recommend one?

Kind regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petal25

Can a mod please delete my above post, it was an accident.

Those Eircom Fibre tests aren't all that bad at all....but its going to KILL me to change back to them, don't know it I can..Wish Sky would come out and say whether they will be offering Fibre in the near future.

• Advertisement

I just checked the efibre checker again and it changed from 'congrats, efibre will be available in your area (caherconlish/ballyneety)' to 'sorry, efibre is not available in your area yet. I Wish Eircom would just be able to tell me if I'll able to get it yes or f*cking no!

Advertisement