Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom out around Caherconlish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

djsim101 wrote: »
    Those Eircom Fibre tests aren't all that bad at all....but its going to KILL me to change back to them, don't know it I can..Wish Sky would come out and say whether they will be offering Fibre in the near future.

Sky told me on the phone the other day that they were launching fibre in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

cian8 wrote: »
    Sky told me on the phone the other day that they were launching fibre in Jan.

Launching their own fibre or piggy backing on eircom's fibre network?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 whitefire

Is it just Ceol na hAbhann that will be able to get fibre powered broadband?

Does anyone know if the other estates in the village will get it in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

As far as I know there are cabinets at Oakley Lawn & Castlepark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is one in the church car park too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is one in the church car park too.

I'm in Inch St.Laurence next door neighbour can get eFibre but doesn't want it, I wan't it but can't get it....typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

campo, how far is your neighbours place?

re: cabinets - Theres one down near ballyneety village aswell.

Xennon wrote: »
    campo, how far is your neighbours place?

re: cabinets - Theres one down near ballyneety village aswell.

I could hit it with a stone, we are even on same land so no clue how they can get it and we can't

@campo, that doesnt sound right as you are near the exchange if you are in Inch. Id check again if I were you.

efibre doesnt change the phone lines, as in you are both connected to the exchange in Inch unless they have done something really funky with the phone line like shared it between you and your neighbours, which I doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 whitefire

So we'll just have the hope for the best so.

What speeds are those in ceol na habhann getting?

• Advertisement

@campo, that doesnt sound right as you are near the exchange if you are in Inch. Id check again if I were you.

efibre doesnt change the phone lines, as in you are both connected to the exchange in Inch unless they have done something really funky with the phone line like shared it between you and your neighbours, which I doubt.

Cheers Xennon after a bit of pressure they have agreed to come out on Monday and check as on their end it says its not available but they can't explain why neighbour can get it

@Campo..cool..

Had a quiet word with one of the KN-networks lads, seems I cant get efibre coz Im connected directly to the exchange in Inch and not to a cabinet. Its never easy is it?.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I'm over two weeks arguing with Vodafone about fibre now. They called me to offer the upgrade (Barrack Close, so I'm guessing the cab is near the crossroad), and sent an engineer around from KN Networks. After two hours, he told me the LT card was damaged and would need to be replaced before it could be connected, then smegged off without saying when or if it would actually be replaced. Called Vodafone to tell them the situation (they were less than courteous), and they promised to send another engineer the following week. He came and went after another two hours with a new reason for it not working - the line from the pit to the house being dead - and again, no idea of when or if anyone would get around to fixing it. He had no answer for why it was working up until I was "upgraded" to fibre.

Called VF yet again, this time finding out the two KN guys had reported back "Customer not ready" and "line inaccessible", basically shifting blame. I'm into week three without any phone or internet, and another engineer on the way, and still no promises of when this is actually going to happen.

I'm already lamenting the loss of my bog slow 1.5Mb line at this stage. Three weeks without any service, including mobile because I was relying on a SureSignal box for reception. They seem to be content to let it be.

Ugh....was gonna move to the 'efibre' phone+net+mobile+TV and get rid of sky (anyone noticed its just ads?)

Thing about KN is that they would have to get the 'go-ahead' to carry out repairs from Eircom offices, so Id imagine they get hit with alot of red tape.

I presume you lost your old connection when they moved you to the new cabinet, and since you had 1.5Mb then Id say your line is fine. I wonder is it a case of they have to move all the phone lines to the new cabinet before they can enable your line?

No eFibre for me , seems eircom cant figure it out why I can't get it, got the aul it's not rolled out yet in your area, I presume by area they just mean my house as neighbours can get it no problem..

To make it worse I decided to cancel Sky as was going to go with efibre for the TV so now I have no TV (Well except FTV) and crap broadband yay me

Run cable into neighbours?

Or... Order a second line with efibre (prolly a cost involved) and cancel the first line?

Ugh....was gonna move to the 'efibre' phone+net+mobile+TV and get rid of sky (anyone noticed its just ads?)

Thing about KN is that they would have to get the 'go-ahead' to carry out repairs from Eircom offices, so Id imagine they get hit with alot of red tape.

I presume you lost your old connection when they moved you to the new cabinet, and since you had 1.5Mb then Id say your line is fine. I wonder is it a case of they have to move all the phone lines to the new cabinet before they can enable your line?

The guys had no answer for why the connection would be there one day, and not there the next. The only factor that changed was their intervention, but getting them to admit it might be their fault would be a futile act by the looks of it, especially given their formal report is that it was my own fault. Second guy even said in the report that I need to get an electrician out to "do something with it". Shame he didn't say that to me while he was actually here, since I am one...

Third callout happening tomorrow afternoon though. Hopefully this will put an end to it and I'll get some form of connection back by the weekend...

eircom_22Oct.JPG

here we go again..... Should I try invoicing Eircom for diesel every time I have to run to the office in shannon if i need to work?

Oh and:

C:\>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.4.55.55
    2 43 ms 59 ms 26 ms b-ras3.mvw.galway.eircom.net [159.134.155.12]
    3 * 158 ms 126 ms tenge-5-1-1.pe1.mvw.mvw-sla.eircom.net [86.43.247.197]
    4 41 ms 54 ms 76 ms tenge-6-2-1.core1.dbn.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.33]
    5 * * 116 ms 86.43.13.158
    6 306 ms * 323 ms 83.71.115.181
    7 293 ms * 327 ms 74.125.51.185
    8 143 ms 33 ms 59 ms 209.85.252.198
    9 114 ms 419 ms 433 ms 209.85.253.127
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 75 ms 57 ms 71 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hey man, u not having much luck are u. I'm on sky and don't have nearly as bad as ping, must check now later when I get home.

@djsim101 In fairness its usually pretty solid, but since these 'upgrades' its been a bit hit and miss. It will probably settle down again but in the mean time ye get the rehearsed answers. This time the trouble seems to be upstream from the galway B-ras server....Im just getting tired of having to deal with it, but if I have to go back to posting graphs all over the place, then so be it.

While sky is an option, any issues I have would still have to be dealt with by Eircom. I really dont want to add another layer to the situation.

C'mon da esb!!!

• Advertisement

Well, third time's a charm. Third engineer, and yet again he wasn't told it was anything more than a five minute hook up job, or even that he wasn't the first person to give it a go. I gave him the run down on everything the previous lads had said and done, and ten minutes later he had half the pit covers on the road up. Apparently the wiring is a disgrace, and the source of the problem was there. He mentioned the whole road possibly needing a new line to be pulled in.

Fair play to him though, he had the whole lot sorted in about an hour. He was none to happy that the previous two guys had left me in the lurch either.

I've gone from 1.5-2Mb with horrific ping (200-300 average), to 45Mb with 30mS. Happy with the results but not how long it took for them to get their finger out.

Nice one Dex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey Lads, before entering into another contract with eircom for 53 quid a month efibre, does vodafone or anyone else offer broadband only as we don't use a phone. Any disadvantages of going with someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes Vodafone do offer fibre broadband on it's own, it's €35 per month for an 18 month contract which includes a new fibre modem and junction box. I think it's €45 if you want telephone added to that. As I said in my earlier post, I've been with Vodafone for about 7 years out here and the only issues I've had in that time have been line/exchange related which are owned by Eircom.

Cool thanks man, will give em a ring tomorrow.

Just to add that Eircom also do BB only package (but its all very hush hush) you have to ring their Sales number and as for the 'Loyalty department'...........

Its more expensive than Vodafone iirc..

Was thinking of ringing eircom to see if they'd match it all right, will try that first tomorrow so see what they can offer. Thanks

Well lads just on to Eircom and got this:

thank you for holding I have checked your address and as yet efibre is not enabled , I have checked this further for you to see if there was any date for this to be enabled and as yet the date has to be confirmed

Whats the point been in an Fibre enabled area and cannot get it. I'd say something I am miles from the exchange but I eant

Where are ye dj?

• Advertisement

Up in Castlepark man.

Advertisement