Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom out around Caherconlish

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Hi dj,

You definitely should be able to get efibre. You are on a cabinet there. The exchange is up past Mollys bar on the Ballyneety road. Unless your phone line is running all the way up to the exchange (I doubt) then you are on the cabinet near the church there which is on efibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Xennon wrote: »
    Hi dj,

You definitely should be able to get efibre. You are on a cabinet there. The exchange is up past Mollys bar on the Ballyneety road. Unless your phone line is running all the way up to the exchange (I doubt) then you are on the cabinet near the church there which is on efibre.

I'm across the road from that exchange maybe thats why I cant get it

Yeah campo, if you like me are connected directly to the exchange then its gonna be at least another 12 months before we can get efibre.

Are you sure your neighbours can get it? Sounds odd that you are connected to the exchange and theyre connected to a cabinet.

Yeah campo, if you like me are connected directly to the exchange then its gonna be at least another 12 months before we can get efibre.

Are you sure your neighbours can get it? Sounds odd that you are connected to the exchange and theyre connected to a cabinet.

Well when I put in their phone number on the Eircom site in comes up available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Hi dj,

I thought the cab was by the church no? Or there is a 2nd new cab about 100 feet from that one as you head towards the school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

hello people,
    (newbie alert, daft questions ahead)
    I'm in Boher, small back road, I wonder can ye tell me where I can find out the following:
    what exchange I'm on,
    who to ask when or if I could expect to get broadband capability on our landline,

and has anyone experience of munster broadband for houses like mine out in the sticks,

I need to get better broadband as hubby looking for work and may need to have Proper Grown-Up Broadband and not mobile broadband that is erratic at times.
    thanks
    d

Hi d,

Check your line here: https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=0 (Check Availability)

Just looking at a map with locations of exchanges and cabinets, I dont see anything obvious near Boher, so I would doubt that the DSL would be great in your area, Try asking neighbors what they are using?

Re Munster Broadband, Ive not used them myself but from what I hear theyre a pretty good company. You could also check with maintsbb.com and see if you can connect to them.

Remember most broadband is shared when you are on the cheaper packages, so in the evening when everyone is on it can have an effect. (known as contention).

djsim101 wrote: »
    I thought the cab was by the church no? Or there is a 2nd new cab about 100 feet from that one as you head towards the school?

Hi DJ, My bad,

It seems there are three cabinets in Caher. Two seem to be enabled ISL1_005 (near Gregane Ct.) and ISL1_006 (by the church), The third one ISL1_003 is up at the school but hasnt been fibre enabled yet. Its planned seemingly along with a cabinet to go in at the Exchange up near Mollys, for those of us connected to that echange.(campo)

If anyone can collar a KN networks guys could ye bribe them with some chocolate biscuits and quiz them to see if we can get any scheduling info :D

I believe theyre also partial to fig rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,875 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just to add that Eircom also do BB only package (but its all very hush hush) you have to ring their Sales number and as for the 'Loyalty department'...........

Its more expensive than Vodafone iirc..

Checked with Eircom and thye can offer me Broadband only for 43 euro a month. I had asked them for this 4 times (4 different agents) when I first signed up with them as I have no need for a landline phone and they told me straight out nope, can't be done. They won't match Vodafone either and then one guy tried to tell me that Vodafone Efiber isn't as fast as Eircom Efiber :pac::pac::pac:

Forget these jokers, I'm making the move to Vodafone, just hope they can make the transfer seamless enough and not too much of a delay getting efibre.

Honestly, the only reason Im still with them is the Line guy that looks after the area is a gent, and sorted us out late one evening after a storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

djsim101 wrote: »
    Up in Castlepark man.

I'm there as well and according to the vodafone rep that was going around last week, we have it, I signed up.......heres hoping :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

thanks to those who replied.
    I've Munster Broadband coming tomorrow to do line of sight test and so maybe we'll go with them.
    And then last week I got a text from Vodafone to say they are 'upgrading the network in your area to greatly improve voice and data coverage',
    but what does that mean, in practice?
    must check it out with VF I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Oh that is great about Munster Broadband! I had their service for a year and it was excellent. Speed was very consistent and never any outages.

I was going to go back to them recently, thought they had gone out of business as my email didn't get a reply.

ETA My dad has eircom broadband in Murroe village and it's brutal. Barely 1MB. That Vodafone rep that was around said that eircom are doing improvements this coming week but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

boomerang wrote: »

ETA My dad has eircom broadband in Murroe village and it's brutal. Barely 1MB. That Vodafone rep that was around said that eircom are doing improvements this coming week but I'm not holding my breath.

It gets really bad during the evenings with congestion alright. My neighbor was apparently told by Eircom earlier this year that Murroe's exchanges would be fibre enabled in November. I took it with a grain of salt thb as there is no sign of it on the Eircon efibre rollout map.

Here's hoping but I wont hold my breath.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

From what I can see Murroe is hanging off the Newport Exchange, it doesnt seem to have an exchange of its own. Newport has efibre I think, hense the sales monkeys out pushing their wears.

Be careful though, even though the newport exchange has efibre with the distance to Murroe, the line stats will still be pretty bad, I cant see the exchange upgrade hugely improving the service in Murroe.

Murroe is designated to have an exchange of its own some day though.....but that could be a few generations away.

From what I can see Murroe is hanging off the Newport Exchange, it doesnt seem to have an exchange of its own. Newport has efibre I think, hense the sales monkeys out pushing their wears.

Be careful though, even though the newport exchange has efibre with the distance to Murroe, the line stats will still be pretty bad, I cant see the exchange upgrade hugely improving the service in Murroe.

Murroe is designated to have an exchange of its own some day though.....but that could be a few generations away.

Oh right, I always taught Murroe had it's own exchange. There's a little Eircom building next to the Garda station, I always taught that was the exchange. As they say you learn something new every day.

Little blue Eircom building

Doesnt seem to be on their mapping: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Doesnt seem to be on their mapping: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Ah right thanks.

They have the very location of the building marked as a planned fibre exchange anyway. If I'm lucky we might see it within the next 20 years ;)

According to that map I am on ISL1_002 which is live, but still they say I can't get it, not only am I on that cabinet but I could literally hit it with a stone from my gate....

I have noticed a 2nd green box appear beside it, presuming that is another cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paul29163

e-fibre installed nearly 2 months now with Eircom. Some issues initially but now getting 15-20megs and we are 1 mile (1.6km) from box, this is critical to download speeds as the length of copper to house severely deteriorates with distance, the instal guy said they will only offer it to you if you are less than 2.5km from box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 paul29163

campo wrote: »
    According to that map I am on ISL1_002 which is live, but still they say I can't get it, not only am I on that cabinet but I could literally hit it with a stone from my gate....

I have noticed a 2nd green box appear beside it, presuming that is another cabinet

2nd green box is the switch over box for the fibre

Changed to Vodafone and got Efiber installed today. getting 40mbs d/l and 8mbs u/l with ethernet cable but only 4mbs d/l and 4mbs u/l with wireless. Anyone know if Vodafone need to tweak any settings for the Wireless to pick up speed or if there's anything I can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Changed to Vodafone and got Efiber installed today. getting 40mbs d/l and 8mbs u/l with ethernet cable but only 4mbs d/l and 4mbs u/l with wireless. Anyone know if Vodafone need to tweak any settings for the Wireless to pick up speed or if there's anything I can do?

You probably need to change the WIFI channel on your new modem. It's probably set to the default channel which is getting interference from nearby WIFI receivers. You can do this yourself by connecting to your modem's ip address via a browser.

Instructions are similar to what is here depending on your model of modem:

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Technical-Support/Change-the-Wireless-Channel-used-by-your-Wireless-Router/td-p/14779

Thanks man will try that.

I changed the channel twice but wlan wouldnt start. Went back to automatic and tested again and it was showing 40mbs on wireless, happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Checked on the eircom site that it says that InchStLaurance is now available but my line is not enabled.
    I don't want to use Eircom as a service provider. Has anyone successfully connected to fibre with SKY yet?

Advertisement