Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All documents only open in internet

Options
  • 16-01-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I had to install Win 7 back on PC then also needed to install Office, when I go into oldwindows I see my documents but only options I can see to open is the internet Symbol or note pad, when I try open nothing seems to happen, excel is now working as I tested it, any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What file extensions have the old documents got?

When you say oldWindows did you reinstall over an existing version of Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

If you right click on the file and choose Open With.. do you get a list of applications you can choose to open the file with?

Most likely you installed your browser and it asked if you want to set it as the default program for your files. Its a stupid sneaky prompt that you can easily miss when installing (EG why does Adobe Reader XI want to open my audio files? Anyone?) If the normal program is there and you can open it with that you'll be prompted to set the program as the default for those file types. Go to each file that is opening incorrectly and choose the normal program for the file by the same procedure (Right Click - Open With... - Choose correct program and click set as default.)

If you cant open the files in another program try uninstalling the browser in question and try opening the files again afterwards after that if still not working
    EDIT: (********BACK UP YOUR FILES NOW. YOU WERE WARNED.**********). , OS System repair, last resort reinstall the OS.

Edit: Last resort is a full reinstall. IE Wipe the drive, defrag, and start over with a clean empty drive. petes is right an reinstall over an old OS installation is faster but causes issue in the long run (Sometimes in the short run too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

petes wrote: »
    What file extensions have the old documents got?

When you say oldWindows did you reinstall over an existing version of Windows?

Windows.old, I go into Computer and click windows.old and then go into what my old documents where under and see all douments but the only options to open eg word documents is notepad or internet explorer and either open it correctly,I cut and paste a word document to my updated desktop where I have office on and there is no option to open in word,

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ciotog8

were your old documents saved as an older version of office? If so the documents should be saved as a word document and not an older version

Advertisement