Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Windows 8.1 Firewall and Defender enough security?

• 16-01-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Hi

Windows defender has been revamped for Windows 8 so it apparently does much more than Microsoft Security Essentials does on previous versions of windows but is it enough security?

Is the Windows firewall enough security? I am behind stuck behind a Netopia 2247 until I upgrade in the near future, and due to a connection issue I have with a remote server at the moment its firewall is set to off.

If either Defender or the stock Windows firewall are insufficient, is it worth paying for anti-malware, anti-virus, and firewall software to replace them or are any of the free solutions adequate? Please recommend specific software if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,679 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's going to provide you pretty decent but basic levels of protection. I would still recommend getting security to top it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Overheal wrote: »
    It's going to provide you pretty decent but basic levels of protection. I would still recommend getting security to top it

Any specific software? At the moment I am complimenting Windows Defender with Comodo Free Firewall and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,679 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

avast and avg are 2 free security suites that im aware of. I prefer to use Webroot, and my University prefers an enterprise version of Trend Micro. Theres plenty of good ones out there, I just find webroot has one of the smaller footprints yet still has a very respectable rating/profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All my PCs are running 8.1 and they only have the built in security. Which is free, light and updates itself. Suits me fine. That said, should I get hit by something not caught by the Microsoft software, I know how to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I reckon the built-in protection is enough for any home user, but try Malwarebytes if you want extra spyware protection. Spyware/malware is much more of a problem now than viruses.

Comodo Free Firewall is also good, if you dont trust Windows Firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I currently only have Defender on Windows 8.1 and just update run malwarebytes and superantispyware regularly.

I don't have Java installed and always keep chrome and my plugins up to date.

Is this enough seeing as I mostly use the laptop for about 6 main sites like here, Facebook, YouTube and a few news sites. I don't use torrent sites and am a pretty careful browser in general.

I had AVG and Avast at various times and hated them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

In my opinon, keeping your system safe from attack vectors is more in your computing practices than in protection software. I run antivirus software, but I haven't had a virus notification in over 8 years because I'm careful where i get my data sources and keep all my software up to date.

Most NAT routers also act as firewalls for incoming connections, so if you are behind one, having a firewall in windows is kind of redundant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Traitor wrote: »
    Most NAT routers also act as firewalls for incoming connections, so if you are behind one, having a firewall in windows is kind of redundant.
    Security is built of layers. Defence in depth. There is no reason not to use both firewalls.

Also
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26417441
    A world-spanning network of hijacked home routers has been uncovered by security researchers.

The network involves more than 300,000 routers in homes and small businesses that have been taken over through loopholes in their core software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

That reminds me of a few years ago when i drove around Los Angeles upgrading open Linksys AP's to a customized OpenWRT firmware I modified that opened up a socks5 proxy on the router (which allowed me to proxy to both their LAN and the net) and an option (defaulted to off) in which I could send all their traffic to a loghost on the net, cutting their effective bandwidth in half, but letting me see every packet they sent through the box.

Advertisement