Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to recruit for IT candidates

Options
  • 16-01-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭

For the first time in far too long we're looking to recruit some IT staff (developers initially)

Just wondering what you find might be the best channel to use. To be honest I cant abide the agencies so would like to avoid them

What do you find the best channel (doesnt have to be IT) monster, irish jobs etc, twitter, linkedin etc?

All input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Ditto re: recruitment agencies!

LinkedIn is yer man, IMO.

Spend your time and money on establishing a good, informative presence both for yourself and for your company on LinkedIn.

Then advertise the position on said website. It's about 150 p.m. to post a job ad.

Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I have always viewed LinkedIn as a great place to expose yourself to potential employers and for employers to fish the talent pool! It may well have some prospecting potential for certain sales people, but my experience was a bit like Facebook, loads of tossers looking to sell me something I had no interest in or so they could collect brownie point "connections" with people that I don't know from a hole in the ground!

Probably a perfect place to source good applicants at a realistic cost!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Lindkin would be a place to start. Also you could advertise in the likes of Irish Jobs.ie
    Avoid agencies and their bull**** at all costs

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

You're going to have a hard time attracting a diverse range of potential candidates if you don't use agencies. I hate to say it, as I have little respect for IT recruiting agents, but they are who established professional developers look to for new roles. A company I worked with a few years ago tried to go it alone, putting a job up on Monster, and all they got was a couple of CVs from unqualified people. When an agent got involved, we had 5 solid candidates pulled from 20 CVs in a few days.

A more recent Dublin company I worked with advertised themselves via LinkedIn as well as using agencies. They hired 5 developers over a few weeks, and only 1 came from LinkedIn - the rest all came from agencies. As it happened, the LinkedIn candidate was the weakest of the 5, and probably wouldn't have gotten past the agent firewall.

It's a sad state of affairs, but if you want good candidates, you really have to involve agencies. You might be lucky going it alone, but you probably won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Over the years I have recruited some of the very best people into the company using the contacts/friends network of our existing employees. IT types/developers tend to hang out with the industry/college peers and other former colleagues and are thus quite a homogenous group. Get that network working for you!, Put up a prize/cash reward for finding the right bodies. I have found that they will take great care to ensure they do not bring new as**oles into their own workplace!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

Peter's suggestion does work, as your current developers would never suggest someone who wasn't up to scratch to come work with them. I've encountered this many times. But you absolutely have to offer a financial 'finders fee' to the employee who brings in someone else.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Linked-In is where I have got my last 4 contracts, but word of mouth was a big big part in that also.
    Ask you current employees and see if they know anyone.
    Computerjobs seems to be better than Irishjobs.

There is a section here on boards to hire IT heads.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Over the years I have recruited some of the very best people into the company using the contacts/friends network of our existing employees. IT types/developers tend to hang out with the industry/college peers and other former colleagues and are thus quite a homogenous group. Get that network working for you!, Put up a prize/cash reward for finding the right bodies. I have found that they will take great care to ensure they do not bring new as**oles into their own workplace!!

I agree with this - especially if you're looking to hire contractors. Contractors network constantly - if I need a specific skill - it's normally just a couple of connections on LinkedIn to reach out to the right people.

I have a list of people I would recommend or send job specs to, depending on the role, who the company is and what types of rates are on offer. We (seasoned contractors) generally have a number of options to choose from whenever a contract finishes and we have to move on.
    There is also another list that I would advise any employer to stay away from if I'm asked for an opinion.

Advertisement