Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guidance to buying VW Passat estate

Options
  • 16-01-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    Currently I am the owner of a 2005 VW Golf 1.4 baseline with 120k miles on the clock. I am looking to change to a 09/10 VW Passat estate as I have 2 kids and a dog and room is very tight in the Golf.
    I was looking at this car in the link below and was wondering would it be a goodbuy, is price about right etc .
    Any help would be great.
    Regards
    Appollo

http://www.cbg.ie/vw-passat-1-6-2010-diesel-silver-estate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Price Subject to €265 Currency & Admin Fee

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Price Subject to €265 Currency & Admin Fee

LOL

http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=1112&BID=55

• Registered Users Posts: 17 appollo_10

00833827 wrote: »
    I noticed that aswell and thought it was extreme. Thanks for the heads up on the complaint (interesting read).
    I will keep looking .......

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a very basic entry level model and isn't exactly cheap.

What about a Skoda Superb:

media?xwm=y&id=d32dbe30-9b62-4887-89ca-45db80c80b9f&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/1.9-TDI/36313836506594130/

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's a very basic entry level model and isn't exactly cheap.

What about a Skoda Superb:

media?xwm=y&id=d32dbe30-9b62-4887-89ca-45db80c80b9f&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Superb/1.9-TDI/36313836506594130/
    Looks a nice car but we have driven VW cars for the last 15 year and dont really want to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

A 1.6 in a big old barge like that? You'd be far more comfortable if you could get the 2.0 mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

appollo_10 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Currently I am the owner of a 2005 VW Golf 1.4 baseline with 120k miles on the clock. I am looking to change to a 09/10 VW Passat estate as I have 2 kids and a dog and room is very tight in the Golf.
    I was looking at this car in the link below and was wondering would it be a goodbuy, is price about right etc .
    Any help would be great.
    Regards
    Appollo

http://www.cbg.ie/vw-passat-1-6-2010-diesel-silver-estate

I went from a Mk V Golf GTI to a Passat estate earlier this year as I needed more space for the kids.

The Passat estate is a great family car with plenty of space for prams etc and very comfortable.
    However I wouldn't go for the 1.6 diesel as IMO it is underpowered and not a great engine. (The 2.0tdi is a far superior unit)

Also do not trust anyone selling a UK sourced car. Make sure and confirm the mileage yourself by contacting VW in the UK. There are lots of dealers clocking or hidding accident history from imported UK cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Looks a nice car but we have driven VW cars for the last 15 year and dont really want to change.
    You wouldn't be, you'd just be getting more VW for your money. Although that particular Superb is absolutely manky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

1.9 VW Passat Estate driver here and agree that 1.6 isn't enough for the size of this car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Anan1 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be, you'd just be getting more VW for your money.

Exactly, the only real difference is the badge, most everything else is the same, even the VW part numbers cross platform.

I bought the VW passat a few years back, in retrospect I would actually get the Skoda, far better spec for the money.

Thanks you all for the information, your guidance is narrowing things down for me.
    So in the VW passate estate i am encline to look at the 2.0 ltr more so than the 1.6. I am going to have a look at the Skodia aswell but the mindset is that of getting the passat.
    I have a loan secured for 11k with my vw golf 1.4 baseline so will be keen to buy a.s.a.p.
    If anyone can point me in a direction of a good quality car ... let me know.
    cheers for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are not changing though. Skoda is under ownership of the Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) which also includes the likes of VW, Seat and Audi. All these brands share common parts. The Superb uses a lot of components found in the Passat same as an Audi A4 would. It would be crazy to discard one based on the logic of you've driven the same brand for 15 years. I bet if you sat into the Superb you would see that most of the switches and buttons are the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

And coupled with that, it will be a more modern feeling car (half a generation newer than the Passat you are looking at) and is more spacious than a Passat estate too.

Is there alot of difference between VW Passat estate Highline, trendline, comfortline, R line. What would be the major differences ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Have to add that I got a VW Passat 2009 2lr blue-motion estate last year - with all the toys, amazing car on fuel and brilliant to drive on the long trip west onto Achill. takes everything we have without breaking a stride. its a high miler mind but feels tight as a drum. highly recommended if full service comes with the unit you decide.

would buy again in a heart beat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Is there alot of difference between VW Passat estate Highline, trendline, comfortline, R line. What would be the major differences ?

If an Irish car aim for Comfortline (good spec) or Highline (best spec). Avoid Trendline (too basic) or R line (sports suspension ruins the ride).

UK cars are generally worse specced than ours, so if going down that route go for the highest spec you can (SEL or Highline)

BrookieD wrote: »
    Have to add that I got a VW Passat 2009 2lr blue-motion estate last year - with all the toys, amazing car on fuel and brilliant to drive on the long trip west onto Achill. takes everything we have without breaking a stride. its a high miler mind but feels tight as a drum. highly recommended if full service comes with the unit you decide.

would buy again in a heart beat

Thanks for the comment.

If an Irish car aim for Comfortline (good spec) or Highline (best spec). Avoid Trendline (too basic) or R line (sports suspension ruins the ride).

UK cars are generally worse specced than ours, so if going down that route go for the highest spec you can (SEL or Highline)

Will do thanks.

Advertisement